Any experience with deer leather?

I have a prada deerskin wallet. It's soft and medium in durability. After two years of daily use, it was showing a bit of fading so I conditioned it and it looks almost new. I don't know whether there are different finishes for deerskin....the one you're looking at may be more finished than my wallet.

I have a prada deerskin wallet. It's soft and medium in durability. After two years of daily use, it was showing a bit of fading so I conditioned it and it looks almost new. I don't know whether there are different finishes for deerskin....the one you're looking at may be more finished than my wallet.

Thank you sdkitty. I have to think about it. The bag looks very functional though. I was thinking to get it for everyday use.

I think in terms of its aging both in patina and appearance, deerskin is really excellent. Although the leather feels delicate because of its soft hand-feel, it looks more beautiful with age than with most leathers. My sister's Prada deerskin bag was beautiful when new but even more so after breaking it in. I think it has something to do with how the leather molds to the body; not stiff.

Deer leather is, on the whole, my favorite material in the world. That bag should feel incredibly soft and luxurious, and it will only get better with time and use.

I think in terms of its aging both in patina and appearance, deerskin is really excellent. Although the leather feels delicate because of its soft hand-feel, it looks more beautiful with age than with most leathers. My sister's Prada deerskin bag was beautiful when new but even more so after breaking it in. I think it has something to do with how the leather molds to the body; not stiff.

Posted by Jenna_Behr

"Deer leather is, on the whole, my favorite material in the world. That bag should feel incredibly soft and luxurious, and it will only get better with time and use."

Thank you so much, ladies for the good news! It is very helpful. :smile:

Posted by Jenna_Behr

"Deer leather is, on the whole, my favorite material in the world. That bag should feel incredibly soft and luxurious, and it will only get better with time and use."

Thank you so much, ladies for the good news! It is very helpful. :smile:
I "conditioned" a vintage brown Chanel lambskin with Lexol and it messed up the color and now I have to get it fixed...with the softer leathers use a conditioner that is for soft leathers ( I got one from Cadillac brand) -just to be safe

I found a handbag made out of deer leather and would like to know how it wears over time. Also, how does it feel to touch; soft, hard?

Here is the link to it: http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main...erek+Lam&N=4294911995+306418049&bmUID=jw2od5s

Thank you in advance!

My Prada Cervo is buttery soft and lightweight. After using it for a while, I ran into some problems.

Here's what happened to my Prada Cervo bag:
http://forum.purseblog.com/prada/did-your-cervo-bag-become-smooth-like-pics-752322.html

Not only did the leather flatten (the grains became barely noticeable in the middle), it also became very susceptible to color transfer.

I have put away that bag for now, until I find a way to fix those problems.

I don't have any personal experience only first hand knowlege from my darling niece. She had bought a beautiful $2,000 Christian Dior shoulder bag only to have the leather peel less than a year later. The company gave her a very hard time about it and ended up gluing it back together for her. She was very upset about this and advised to never buy Cervo leather. CD implied that Cervo is a thinner leather and needs babying. Had she known beforehand, I can assure you she never would have bought the bag no matter how beautiful it was. BTW, she still wears this bag from time to time and let's anyone know who points out the flaws to her that it's a CD bag because she is so peturbed this happened.

I have a Mulberry messenger in wexford, and from what I've gathered, it is a deer skin. It is very durable and slouches nicely. The best of all, it develops a really nice patina. I'm just afraid to use it in the rain, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 2 Prada deerskin bags. The only thing I watch for is fingernail nicks. But you can rub it with your finger and the oil from your body blends the nicks in nicely.
Hope this makes sense.

I've got an amazing Miu Miu in a mushroom-colored deerskin leather. I have to say that there was one time when I got a drop of some sort of liquid on it and panicked because it looked like a stain until it dried.

As a result, I rarely carry the bag. It is the most amazing, soft leather, and I wish I was a little more daring. I have treated the bag etc but you know how it goes with lighter colors.