Workplace Any estheticians here?

Swanky

Admin
Admin
O.G.
Jan 12, 2006
I have a good friend who is obsessed w/ skincare and I am trying to talk her into getting her license.
If you have your's, would you recommend it to others that have a passion for skincare?

sabrunka

O.G.
Feb 17, 2010
I am a qualified esthetician, but have slowly been getting out of the field... I thought I loved it but got stressed easily when working in a spa. I prefer luxury retail to esthetics, BUT, it is a nice job! If she really loves it, then I do suggest it. You will come across horrible clients sometimes, but it can all be worth it in the end (good tips and such, depending if you work in a high end place or not) and you can eventually open your own place. Lots of doors are open as well. You don't only have to work in a spa, you could work along side a plastic surgeon, or be a mobile trainer or something like that.

sadiesthegirl

Jan 21, 2011
When I was 18 I went to school to be an esthetician and once I got my license, I worked in the field for three years before I went to college. This was about 20 years ago so I know things have changed. If you want to work in a spa or a medi spa, I think a license is a must but if you are looking to work in a department store and represent a specific brand, I think it would be a plus but not required. When I initially started to look for work, I interviewed with department stores and at a few spa's. Department stores are more interested in your personality and people skills and selling abilities where as a spa is looking for your knowledge in skincare and ability to properly do facials and follow sanitation steps. If your friend is serious about working at a spa/medi spa, then the license is well worth it.

Swanky

Admin
Admin
O.G.
Jan 12, 2006
Yes, in a derm office or something is what she'd prefer. I was reading and thought I'd read that to work w/ plastic surgeons they also prefer a medical assistant {or something?} cert?
To be be able to administer injectables and such.

buzzytoes

Dog Chauffeur
O.G.
Jun 7, 2008
Is she not the type to own her own business? My aesthetician is wonderful at what she does and enjoys it because she really has a passion for learning new things and keeping up with the latest products. I don't think she would enjoy it as much if she was told what brands to use and what methods to use, like what would likely happen in a medispa or spa.

Swanky

Admin
Admin
O.G.
Jan 12, 2006
She was a teacher, lol! I think she'd need to "get her feet wet" before opening her own place. Don't you think?
No clientele, no 1st hand experience w/ the prescription lines, etc. . .

buzzytoes

Dog Chauffeur
O.G.
Jun 7, 2008
I have an appt in the morning so I will try to remember to ask how mine got started. I am pretty sure she just jumped right in but I could be wrong. I know her first spot was right next to a salon so it was helpful in getting clientele. But we also live in a small town so there aren't a lot of choices outside of hair salons.

ChanelGirlE

xoxo
O.G.
Jan 15, 2008
My cousin is an esthetician (at a derm office) and depending on your state, there may be regulations or requirements before they can perform stuff like botox, lasers, etc. My cous was lucky enough to work for a family friend (dermatologist) who took her under her wing did procedures supervised and now has been a medical esthetician for years. I think my cousin had to take additional certification courses on TOP of esthetician school like a laser certification and eye lash extension class? Not sure exactly what classes she had to take.

I hear lots of nurses or medical assistants are getting into esthetics because they can work for a dermatologist or plastic surgeon and they have a medical background.