Any Boaters Out There?

I grew up around boats but my dad is more of a boater than me..I don't really have a lot of advice but how long is the boat? if it's under like 18 feet you'll get wet easily on it. Plus it's practical only for small trips, you can't take it much farther than the harbour. ( if it's small like it looks like to me) especially if you are inexperienced.
As for the engine my dad always said mercury makes the best engines for boats.

That's all I have!

We used to have a boat just like that when we lived in Annapolis, but it was a bit older. I don't know anything about the mechanical stuff or anything, but it was a really nice boat and we went out a lot on the Chesapeake Bay with it.

I grew up around boats but my dad is more of a boater than me..I don't really have a lot of advice but how long is the boat? if it's under like 18 feet you'll get wet easily on it. Plus it's practical only for small trips, you can't take it much farther than the harbour. ( if it's small like it looks like to me) especially if you are inexperienced.
As for the engine my dad always said mercury makes the best engines for boats.

That's all I have!

This boat is almost 24' so its a good size for a first boat (I think) LoL

We just bought a 24' cuddy at the end of last boating season! The DH took a boating class and thought it was really worth while. In Ohio, the law is that anyone born after 1984 has to have a boating license (I believe--we're much older than that, but we have kids so we both want to be safe). Anyway, we can't wait to use it!

We have a 27' cuddy. We have had the boat for two years and it is barely used. We never have the time to put it in the water. I have two kids that are in just about every activity imaginable, so it makes it hard.

I had two back surgeries this year, so I'm hoping that I can still boat.

Give boating a try. Just make sure you have time for it.

My IL's have a SeaRay Sundancer, it's 32' and we LOVE it! They live a block away from us on the canal, so we're always out on it. We usually dock over on Fire Island and spend the whole weekend there.

Ahoy, matey!!

I've been a boater (sailing and motor) since I was a teenager and just love it!! DBF and I have a boat for our lake, as do about 4 of our friends. It's great fun, but a lot of work and upkeep sometimes.

A "favorite" saying amongst boaters is your 2 favorite days with your boat is the day you buy it and the day you sell it. I don't happen to agree completely but it is a big expensive piece of equipment that has to have regular (and sometimes costly) maintenance and upkeep!

QUESTION: If you & DH have not owned a boat before and don't know about one, I strongly recommend you rent or lease one first. This way you can get your sea-legs on and also really gauge how much you'll actually use the boat and how having it as an activity fits into your schedules/lives.

Off the top of my head, I can think of 2 couples who bought boats but rarely used them. Both ended up selling them within 1-2 years after they bought and both took losses. If they had rented first instead they would've seen how it did - or did not - fit into their schedules/lives.

If you do want to go ahead and take the plunge to buy, here are some things to consider:

--Look at comparable used boats, which can save you TONS of money (literally we saved over $20,000 by buying a used boat of the same make/similar model just a few years older). Especially if you find a nice new boat that's hardly been used (like my friends'). You can bring a mechanic to check out the engine and other mechanical parts.

--Look at the layout of above and below decks (if there is a below). How many people can fit outside & inside? Can you sleep in it (if you want to)? How much storage does it have? What other amenities (for example will you be using it for watersports - so is there storage for skis, wakeboards, etc)? Do you have/need electrical ship-to-shore power capability?

--Will you be docking it in a slip or towing it? If towing, does your vehicle have sufficient towing power? Do you have a place to park it?

--Does your marina or launch area have a maintenance company or person? Is that company/person mobile and "on call" in case something breaks down while you're on the water? (speaking from personal experience - ack!) How reputable are they and how many mechanics work there? If something happens to your boat you don't want it tied up in the shop just waiting for repairs.

--Check into getting boating insurance

--If you are unsure about boating and the rules of the water, check into taking an introductory boating class. These are usually offered at most marinas through the Coast Guard or another seafaring entity. There are rules with motorboats and sailboats regarding rights of way, etc. It's not hard stuff, but makes life easier and safer for everyone on the water!

--Gas is crazy expensive

All in all boating is super fun but it's best to be completely informed and prepared.

Good luck!!

My husband and I sail, we had a 30 foot sloop that we sold because it was in another city and couldn't make it out often enough to use her and she needed more attention than we could give her. But we plan to buy a larger sailboat in the future and go cruising for a couple of years.

Boating/sailing is very enjoyable, make sure you get into a nice marina if you are docking it.

woah redney covered just about everything I would have said. Try renting a variety of boats if you can so you can see what fits best... You may find that the Sea-Ray is a bit too powerful for you, or not big enough for the cruising you plan to do, or doesn't work well with whatever watersports you are interested in, or you might simply find you prefer a bow rider over a cuddy or vice-versa. Picking the wrong boat is a VERY VERY expensive mistake!!!!!

I'm a lifelong cottager and we have three boats, a 27' Edson cuddy cabin, an old Doral bowrider and a dinky fiberglass boat with an outboard. That's what we found we needed... the Edson just sucks gas, but it's huge so it's perfect for cruising around the lakes and it handles the chop on the main lake well. The Doral we only use in our bay, but it's easy on the gas and just the right amount power for wakeboarding waterskiing and tubing, which we do a lot of... And the fiberglass we just use for putting around the bay, it can't pull people except for maybe little kids but it uses almost no gas.

Definitely buy used, up here the boat that you are looking at would be probably $35 000 new, and you could get it for twenty to twenty five thousand if you even go to a model that is 5 years old. Definitely have the boat inspected by a reputable marina and if possible, get copies of it's service records, both for insurance and any warranty issues that may come up.

Well, that's a rather expensive boat for a first time boater. Boats depreciate worse than cars, so you can get a boat similar to the one you're wanting that's about 5 years old, in great shape for less that half that price. And, for the same money, you can get a boat with a cuddy that will allow you the option of sleeping overnight at a port.
I'd def rent for a few weekends a month and see if it's something you're really going to stay interested in. Boats are a lot of upkeep and they're not cheap to upkeep.

Definitely take a boating class!

*edit* well crap, looks like everyone already said what I said.

My IL's have a SeaRay Sundancer, it's 32' and we LOVE it! They live a block away from us on the canal, so we're always out on it. We usually dock over on Fire Island and spend the whole weekend there.

A little OT but where on Fire Island if you don't mind me asking? I worked there last summer and my boyfriend is a dockmaster there and has been for a few years!

A little OT but where on Fire Island if you don't mind me asking? I worked there last summer and my boyfriend is a dockmaster there and has been for a few years!

That's so funny! Small world!!

We LOOOOOVE Davis Park. We only occasionally go over to Ocean Beach/Ocean Bay Park these days. (We're not really into partying)

Where did/do you work?

That's so funny! Small world!!

We LOOOOOVE Davis Park. We only occasionally go over to Ocean Beach/Ocean Bay Park these days. (We're not really into partying)

Where did/do you work?

I worked at Sailor's Haven, my boyfriend is the dockmaster there. I also worked at Watch Hill every once in a while. It is a small world, I loveee Fire Island, it's a great place to be during the summer!