Any accounting students here?

Nov 18, 2006
I searched and didn't find anything relating to this! I'm an accounting student and thought that there must be others here on tPF! We can talk about anyting; do you guys have any online forums, tips for studying, how far along are you in the program, are in the US, Canada, Europe, etc.? Wanna vent about the program?

Any ex-accounting students aka accountants maybe? If you want to share experiences, I would appreciate it!

I'm finishing up my first year now, the only accounting classes ive taken so far are financial and managerial accounting. Liking it so far, but it's difficult! Here in Canada, you have 4 yrs of schooling before you can take the CA exam (canadian equivalent of CPA I believe).

Anyone else?:smile:

Not directly...

I study business administration in Germany and am planning on going into financial / corporate controlling. Am in my 2nd year, have 1.5 more to go.

I work as a Staff Accountant right now, but I graduated college with a degree in Sociology...go figure right? I've been working in Accounting for the past 6 years and while it's not the most exciting job, it's stable and I'm always learning new things. I'd eventually like to go back to school and take some classes, but I haven't gotten around to that yet :smile:

I graduated with an accounting degree, worked as a entry level accountant and eventually became a finance manager. But honestly, I got bored to tears doing the same month-end work (debits=credits, T-accounting... :wacko:). I went back to school to get into the I.T. field; much happier about that and making more $$.

I just changed my minor to accounting last week (I'm an undergrad, major is math). I haven't decided if I am going to go for my CPA license after I graduate but I still have a couple years to decide.

My undegrad degree is in accounting. I worked as an accountant for a few years and eventually moved into a financial analyst role and went back to grad school for an MBA.

Like love2shop_26, I got BORED as a straight-lined accountant. Being in front of a computer all day barely talking to anyone was not for me. I LOVE finance so much more. I learn the drivers of our business, look for ways to run more efficiently, analyze scenarios, and I'm always talking and interacting with people within the business. Additionally, I am involved within the departments I serve about 50% of the time, so for me, its a good mix of both numbers and operations which is a 10 times better fit for me.

Accounting student from Canada as well! I'm from BC. Where are you at OP?

I'm in my 3rd/4th year of Accounting/ Finance BBA. I know I want to be a CFA but am currently deciding between CA or CMA.

and i have my accounting finals (intermediate financial accounting: liabilities) in 4 days. hahaha!

My undegrad degree is in accounting. I worked as an accountant for a few years and eventually moved into a financial analyst role and went back to grad school for an MBA.

Like love2shop_26, I got BORED as a straight-lined accountant. Being in front of a computer all day barely talking to anyone was not for me. I LOVE finance so much more. I learn the drivers of our business, look for ways to run more efficiently, analyze scenarios, and I'm always talking and interacting with people within the business. Additionally, I am involved within the departments I serve about 50% of the time, so for me, its a good mix of both numbers and operations which is a 10 times better fit for me.

What you love to do sounds exactly like what I want to do when I grow up!! I'm currently a Math Applied Science Major specializing in Actuarial science, and I think I'm going an accounting minor too.

What you described fits what I want to do perfectly... so I'm reallllly excited :smile:

Accounting student from Canada as well! I'm from BC. Where are you at OP?

I'm in my 3rd/4th year of Accounting/ Finance BBA. I know I want to be a CFA but am currently deciding between CA or CMA.

and i have my accounting finals (intermediate financial accounting: liabilities) in 4 days. hahaha!

I'm in Montreal; Bcomm student, majoring in accounting.

Being a CFA is an idea I toy with ocasionally but I'm not sure I want to go for it. If your ultimate goal is CFA and you're sure of it I'd go for CMA, it's a little less work than CA and will prepare you just as well for CFA, in my opinion.

I'm a little nervous about my managerial accounting final which is at the end of my finals session (may 2) but i have a bunch of other finals right before so I have no idea how I'm gonna study for them all!! HELP SOS lol

I'm a week and a half away from getting my MBA with an accounting concentration - I work in the insurance industry and am probably going to end up in the audit department. No certifications as of yet but may go for my CFA.

I was an accounting major with a concentration in information systems :smile: I now work for a very large accounting Firm but not doing straight financial statement auditing - I do IT auditing in support of the financial statement audit but knowledge of accounting helps in a major way. Currently studying for CISA then CPA (which I started studying for a while ago then busy season kicked my butt). I take the CISA in June... fun, fun.

I'm a CPA. I think there are so many different paths that you can go down with an accounting education. I've done three totally different jobs with mine. First I worked as a property controller. Basically I analyzed the rents & expenses at shopping centers & figured what to bill tenants for their shares of common expenses. Then I moved to an asset management company where the company managed money for big name celebs. All their contracts were different for how much of a % the company would get for managing their money & I ran those figures. Now for the past few years I've worked for an investment back as a product controller. I calculate & report how much money the traders I support are making or losing for the company.

I always think it's funny, though, when people start asking me questions about their taxes at tax time. I took the bare minimum tax classes & hated every one of them. I promptly forgot everything I knew about taxes after passing the CPA exam :P

I'm an ex accounting major...I actually JUST changed my major last week to Business Management.

In high school, I got a 100 in my accounting class, all we did was journal entries on paper. So I didn't really know how much more there was to accounting and when I got to college it was really overwhelming and not at all what I expected, so I ended up not doing well in my classes. I definitely still respect the subject, but it's certainly not for everyone. The program at my school was awful as well. There's not a lot of professors and the majority of them are very unapproachable outside of class, and since accounting isn't that popular of a major, there aren't options as far as tutoring goes.

I'm a lapsed accounting student :smile: I switched my B.Comm major at the beginning of this year (3rd year of undergrad). I loved accounting in high school and did so well, I did really well in financial accounting (1st uni course) but got killed by Managerial Accounting and I really didn't like the higher level accounting classes.