Any accounting students here?

^^ Funny thing about the accounting major not being popular, at my university, I think 35% of the b.comm students are accounting majors! The next most popular major is finance with something like 16%. The accounting world is booming here in Quebec right now, really popular.

I'm psyching myself up for my interviews this summer, for my program, it takes a year longer, but I have interships linked with school during the length of the program. I have an interview with KPMG (Big 4!!!!) for an entry level type thing (basic journal entries, etc.) but I'm still nervous, since everyone in the program wants a job with one of the Big 4...

^^^ Sounds exactly like my school. Marketing is also a popular major.

Congrats on KPMG - to even get an interview with one of the big four is HUGE!

I'm an Accounting major, and I'm finishing my 2nd year this may. I'm a bit nervous though because next semester I'll be starting all the upper levels and I hear that's where the accounting gets nasty haha. Hopefully I'll enjoy it enough to stick to it, I really like it so far. I'm in Texas, and I'm doing the 5 year BS/MS program so I'll have enough credits to take the CPA exam. I'm glad to see this thread!

And congrats kissmyace for getting an interview with one of the big four! That is so awesome! I'm going to try for an interview with Ernst & Young in spring of 2010, hopefully it all works out.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone!! It's all thanks to my school though, we have a special program (called co-op) that allows for all this awesome big four stuff to happen!

Glad to see the thread has a following and that there are other accounting students here :smile: I thought it would be gone and/or forgotten by now, but very glad to see it's not:P

Hey, good luck on your interview kissmyace! :woohoo:

I'm a CPA. I think there are so many different paths that you can go down with an accounting education.

Great point! You can do soooo much within accounting and work in literally any industry that you are bound to find something that peaks your interest. I worked for an accounting firm right out of college (BORING), then worked in healthcare finance (A LOT BETTER) and now in telecommunications (GREAT FIT).

Accounting really is a degree that in my opinion is really flexible and is a great investment (if you can stay awake in the classes lol :roflmfao:).

BUMP!!! How are the accounting students doing?!?!

Update on my KPMG interview...they wanted me to take a school semester off this fall (now) as a co-op student, but I opted not to.

I just finished sending my applications everywhere for next summer, here the deadline was this morning at 9AM so I sent them last night, I'm so nervoooooooous!

I don't have a traditional accounting background, but I work at an accounting firm. I do other types of required financial reporting for hospitals after each audit is complete. Basically I take everything the auditors do and work with it a lot, then send it off to Medicare! Fun stuff. I don't do much traveling, which is nice for me because I like to stay close to home. Good luck OP with your applications!

I'm not an accounting major, but I am a business undergrad sophomore who's currently taking financial accounting this semester. I have managerial accounting in the spring semester. I don't think I could ever see myself majoring in this area, but I have to say that it isn't so bad right now. I just had a lesson about LCM & inventory... a little confused right now, LOL!

My professor noted that they're looking to change GAAP to the international standards in the future? It's amazing how things are constantly changing & even though you spend years learning one thing, it becomes outdated so fast.

I am working on my MBA with a concentration in accounting. To me, numbers come easy... so I enjoy it. This is my first semester as a graduate student, but thus far it's pretty easy