Antique & Vintage Jewelry

1. Saks Fifth Ave Exclusive: 15% OFF* Sitewide + 10% OFF Beauty with code SAKS15OFF. Valid through 3/25, online only. Shop Now!
    Dismiss Notice
  1. Anyone else a fan of antique and vintage jewelry?

Here's my latest find. Best I can date these earrings judging from style, materials and motif (using info in Warman's) is late 1800's / early 1900's. They're enameled in cobalt blue on 14K gold. American made.

Please show me your treasures! :yes:
  2. OMG I LOVE THOSE!!!! Bees are "my" motif. Stunning!!
  3. Those are beautiful! Can you show us what else you have?

I love vintage/antique jewelry too, unfortunately the ones I like tend to be quite expensive, so I only have this one piece. It's a deco era ring and was a 'push' present from DH.

The center stone isn't big, but the small surrounding diamonds makes the ring a little more substantial.:smile:
    #52 diamond and platinum deco ring.JPG
  4. Gorgeous ring, westiepup! Just beautiful! :yes:

I'll take some pictures of other pieces this weekend and post them - nothing as elegant as your ring, however! :P
  5. OK, here are some more.

I love enamel on metal. These are vintage pieces from Norway circa 1940-50. It is set on sterling silver which has been gold-washed.

The enameling process is known as (I believe) guilloche - translucent enamels on turned metal. The Scandinavian jewelry can be found in solid colors, as well as with these Viking motifs.
    7_nwaybracelet.jpg 8_nwaysuite1.jpg 9_nwaysuite2.jpg
    Dynasty and bellebellebelle19 like this.
  6. This is a turn-of-the-century piece (circa 1900s) made from a coin. The coin was run through a press to show Mme. Liberty in relief.

These can be found in a variety of forms - pins, necklaces, bracelets, cufflinks, etc. - as well as in a variety of sizes. Some are fully gold-washed -- gorgeous! I had one of those in half-dollar, but I sold it (and since regret it!).

This one is about the size of a dime. I've shown the side so you can see how deep the relief is.
    5_libertyfront.jpg 6_libertyside.jpg
    chessmont and Dynasty like this.
  7. My favorite category of collecting antique jewelry is antique gold nugget jewelry from the California and Klondike Gold Rushes. Most of it we keep in the bank, so I only have a few pieces around to take pictures of.

This is an Art Nouveau brooch circa 1900 with baroque pearl and green garnets.
  8. I also collect vintage gold nugget jewelry. These pieces are both circa 1940-1950.

The first is a 10K gold bracelet with gold nuggets and nephrite jade, and matching earrings (the earrings have had the original screw backs replaced with lever backs). I found the earrings first, and then a few years later the bracelet. They are from the same workbench - both have the same jeweler's hallmark!

The second is one of my absolute favorites. The 14K golden egg - which is about the size of my thumb tip from the knuckle up - has applied gold nuggets on both sides, and Alaskan hemetite on one side and nephrite jade on the other. It opens to reveal an adorable eskimo!
    1_nephritesuite.jpg 3_eggclosed.jpg 4_eggopen.jpg
    Dynasty likes this.
  9. I collect antique jewelry and those are to DIE FOR!!!! Also, those earrings look Victorian to me. The bee on the earrings was a common motif in England and was passed down over the years as a talisman amongst royalty. I know one of King Henry VIII's wives had the bee as her insignia also but I can't remember which one.
  10. I tried searching for which wife and could not find it. I do remember now that Napoleon Bonaparte also liked bees.
  11. Thanks, Roo!

I thought they might be European when I first saw them, as well. But they are marked "14K" and not "585".

I couldn't find a close match in Warman's but continue to look elsewhere. :P
  12. Definitely Victorian IMO. What is so interesting is that quality of those earrings is very european in nature. It is VERY hard to find peices of that quality/age in the USA. Common in Europe but not here. You definitely scored a magnificent find!
  13. I LOVE 18th century jewelery and when I find something that's in good condition I have a hard time turning it down! Here's one of my favorites and one I wear constantly. I hang it on a silk cord and have different colors which I change depending on what I'm wearing. It's from mid 1700's, rose cut diamonds encased in rose gold, possibly Portugese. I'm a slave to this piece as it captured my heart the moment I saw it....
  14. LOVE vintage jewelry!
  15. Vintage jewelry is my favorite...anything with history...I know I have posted a pic before, but here is my 1920's wedding Band...I have a few more fabulous pieces that I will take pics of...but this, for obvious reasons, is my favorite!:love: K
    Dynasty likes this.