Antique Louis Vuitton Trunk

acjoy

O.G.
Feb 16, 2008
Hello fellow TPF ladies and gents
I just went to the Louis Vuitton store and finally chatted about my antique Louis Vuitton trunk that I've had for the last 20 years. I can take it in to the store and they will ship it to Louis Vuitton in Paris and totally go over the trunk and repair and verify from the factory that it is authentic and try and determine its history....the SA told me that another person came in and found out that their old trunk was on the Titanic!!!! isn't that amazing:biggrin: I bought my trunk in an antique store in 1987 for $2500 and have had it sitting in my home ever since. They also said that Louis Vuitton will offer to buy the trunk if they like it but I would NEVER sell it. I will add more pictures of the inside later tonight. the initials on the side say H.W.McC New York. on one side and on the other it has H.W.McC the second....Who do you think this person was? any ideas? I think it was purchased in either London or Paris it has all the hangers inside and two boxes. I am taking the trunk over next week and then they will send it off. I am so excited I just had to share with you all :smile: Sorry my pictures could be better I took them with my iphone

Attachments

• trunk.jpg
    trunk.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 3,026
  • trunk1.jpg
    trunk1.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 2,761
  • trunk3.jpg
    trunk3.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 2,140
  • trunk4.jpg
    trunk4.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 2,086
Reactions: HalloweenNight
Wow!! That is so awesome! I don't know what I would do for one of these pieces!!! You'll have to update us on what they do to it, and what they tell you about it! How cool!!!

No idea who those initial could've belonged to, but what a treasure you have there! That is practically a work of art! Thank you for sharing and let us know if you learn anything interesting about it's history-that other one in your story having been on the titanic was amazing!

How exciting!! Owning a LV trunk is my ultimate HG, I am soooo jealous!!!

Finding out the history from LV is amazing...let us now what you find out...

As far as LV wanting to buy the trunk back, I once read an article about someone in Toronto who bought a vintage Rolex at an estate sale and once it got sent away for repairs etc. Rolex contacted her to buy it from her..actually offered her a brand new watch which she took...I wonder what LV would offer?

OMG!!! Thank you soooo much for sharing. I love these trunks and the stories/mysteries behind them even more. Please, keep us posted of any news. Thanks again.

There is a listing under the Daughters of the American Revolution shortly after the turn of the century for a Mrs. H. W. McCoy. (Early 1900s which would be about the right age for this trunk). There also was a major incorporator for the Tyler railroad also named H.W. McCoy, but he was originally from West Virginia or settled there so I'm not sure if that would fit. Last name could also be McCarthy or McCrory or something like that as well. Luckily, at that time, LV often kept records by serial numbers of purchasers because all trunks were made to order and were only hand-made and for VERY wealthy clientele. You may find LV can tell you exactly who owned your beautiful trunk. Whatever you do, don't sell!!

Reactions: HalloweenNight
There is a listing under the Daughters of the American Revolution shortly after the turn of the century for a Mrs. H. W. McCoy. (Early 1900s which would be about the right age for this trunk). There also was a major incorporator for the Tyler railroad also named H.W. McCoy, but he was originally from West Virginia or settled there so I'm not sure if that would fit. Last name could also be McCarthy or McCrory or something like that as well. Luckily, at that time, LV often kept records by serial numbers of purchasers because all trunks were made to order and were only hand-made and for VERY wealthy clientele. You may find LV can tell you exactly who owned your beautiful trunk. Whatever you do, don't sell!!

Wow thank you for the info! There are serial numbers on the front lock and inside the trunk so hopefully we will get something from that. Its like a treasure hunt:biggrin: I cant wait to find out who might have owned the trunk....

Congrats on owing such a beautiful piece of treasure. I am very happy for you :smile:

I was in the LV shop in London last year and there is huge trunk on display. The SA told me that it requires 18 men to carry !!!....just curious, is your trunk heavy ? I only have a small beauty trunk, which I carry with me when I travel and I have to say that its not all that comfortable to carry on the plane as its a bit heavy ;(...