Anti-Birkin bias when shopping at a boutique?

cravin

Always spoiling the wife
Nov 16, 2017
This is purely an observation but I’m curious whether anyone else has had similar experiences?

When we shop at an Hermes boutique that isn’t our regular boutique, and the wife is carrying a Birkin, we are pretty much ignored. When the wife is carrying one of her Kelly bags, we get an amazing level of attention. SAs rush over immediately to see how they can help.

Do you think that SAs have seen so many Birkins, real and fake, that they’re numb to them, but when they see other bags, they tend to pay more attention?

Reactions: islander2k6
Interesting observation. I am often carrying one of my Constances when window shopping H stores that aren’t my “home store” and have noticed that the SAs are typically warm but don’t offer much assistance. I always assumed that they assumed, not incorrectly, that I have a relationship with another H store and would be wasting their time.

Interesting observation. I am often carrying one of my Constances when window shopping H stores that aren’t my “home store” and have noticed that the SAs are typically warm but don’t offer much assistance. I always assumed that they assumed, not incorrectly, that I have a relationship with another H store and would be wasting their time.

Each boutique has their own quota to fulfill so I would think that every SA would “try” but it’s really interesting that their level of effort varies so greatly.

That's interesting. I notice I usually don't get a lot of SA attention when carrying SOs, and maybe it is the assumption of an existing store relationship. Anything Barenia gets a compliment. The bag I get the most in-store compliments on, though, is my Prune Toolbox (I think because the color is so pretty in Swift and it's an uncommon bag these days), or the rare occasions I carry my Rouge H Box Kelly.

Most SAs in Hong Kong remain pretty poker faced no matter what you are carrying. Saw a lady walk in with a Himalayan once and no-one batted an eyelid.

BUT what's weird is that I get attention when I am carrying something not available in HKG yet. HKG stock is pretty slow compared to the rest of the world, so when I went into the shop with the orange shopping bag charm dangling off my Kelly (this was when it wasn't available in HKG yet but I snagged it online at H.com), I got major attention. So many questions on how I managed to find one so quickly. Same thing happened again when I had the Ruby Rodeo on my bag.

So weird :rolleyes:

Reactions: RT1 and Glitterbomb
That's interesting. I notice I usually don't get a lot of SA attention when carrying SOs, and maybe it is the assumption of an existing store relationship. Anything Barenia gets a compliment. The bag I get the most in-store compliments on, though, is my Prune Toolbox (I think because the color is so pretty in Swift and it's an uncommon bag these days), or the rare occasions I carry my Rouge H Box Kelly.
I have a Prune Toolbox, too! I've never carried it into an H Boutique but think I will next I visit one just see to see if it gets a reaction from the SA's. Along with ANY Orange H bag I carry, the Prune TB garners many compliments from passers-by. It really is a beautiful, deep purple especially in Evercolor.

Reactions: RT1
The bag which intrigues SAs the most is my Speciale Commande bag as it has the hallmarks of an Hermes bag and yet no one can identify it. Box and Barenia bags in rarer colours and styles are also a point of interest. Carrying SO Birkins tend to invite viewings of limited edition bags at stores which don't know me, I am not sure why.

Last edited:
The bag which intrigues SAs the most is my Speciale Commande bag as it has the hallmarks of an Hermes bag and yet no one can identify it. Box and Barenia bags in rarer colours and styles are also a point of interest. Carrying SO Birkins tend to invite viewings of limited edition bags at stores which don't know me, I am not sure why.
Im curious..what is a 'Speciale Commande' bag ? Please post a picture

Reactions: RT1
My experience in my local store is they don’t give me a glance if I carry a Constance/Kelly, but go all fluttery when I do a Plume. The first time the SM ever addressed me was to compliment my Plume and since then he acknowledges my presence each time I go (which is not that often) which he never lowered himself to do before. Very bizarre.

Im curious..what is a 'Speciale Commande' bag ? Please post a picture
A Speciale Commande bag is basically a bespoke, custom designed bag. It is unique and one off. Mine was designed partly by me and made by a craftsperson from the bespoke atelier. Basically Jane Birkin’s bag was an original SC made for and named after her by Hermes, which then became so popular it is now sold worldwide. Generally these projects are not supposed to go on the shelf. Recently all custom projects ranging from yachts to cars, furniture to bags, are now made under Horizon and I was privileged to visit their ateliers in Paris last year. I am currently discussing my next project and for privacy reasons, have declined to post my own bag here. There is a thread on this forum with a wealth of information on this topic. Most flagship stores have an SA who has trained in and liaises for these projects. Hope this helps.