Anti-Birkin bias when shopping at a boutique?

cravin

Nov 16, 2017
This is purely an observation but I’m curious whether anyone else has had similar experiences?

When we shop at an Hermes boutique that isn’t our regular boutique, and the wife is carrying a Birkin, we are pretty much ignored. When the wife is carrying one of her Kelly bags, we get an amazing level of attention. SAs rush over immediately to see how they can help.

Do you think that SAs have seen so many Birkins, real and fake, that they’re numb to them, but when they see other bags, they tend to pay more attention?

acrowcounted

Uh oh...
O.G.
Feb 10, 2007
Interesting observation. I am often carrying one of my Constances when window shopping H stores that aren’t my “home store” and have noticed that the SAs are typically warm but don’t offer much assistance. I always assumed that they assumed, not incorrectly, that I have a relationship with another H store and would be wasting their time.

cravin

Nov 16, 2017
Interesting observation. I am often carrying one of my Constances when window shopping H stores that aren’t my “home store” and have noticed that the SAs are typically warm but don’t offer much assistance. I always assumed that they assumed, not incorrectly, that I have a relationship with another H store and would be wasting their time.
Each boutique has their own quota to fulfill so I would think that every SA would “try” but it’s really interesting that their level of effort varies so greatly.

QuelleFromage

Jan 15, 2011
That's interesting. I notice I usually don't get a lot of SA attention when carrying SOs, and maybe it is the assumption of an existing store relationship. Anything Barenia gets a compliment. The bag I get the most in-store compliments on, though, is my Prune Toolbox (I think because the color is so pretty in Swift and it's an uncommon bag these days), or the rare occasions I carry my Rouge H Box Kelly.

Phiona88

Nov 10, 2018
Most SAs in Hong Kong remain pretty poker faced no matter what you are carrying. Saw a lady walk in with a Himalayan once and no-one batted an eyelid.

BUT what's weird is that I get attention when I am carrying something not available in HKG yet. HKG stock is pretty slow compared to the rest of the world, so when I went into the shop with the orange shopping bag charm dangling off my Kelly (this was when it wasn't available in HKG yet but I snagged it online at H.com), I got major attention. So many questions on how I managed to find one so quickly. Same thing happened again when I had the Ruby Rodeo on my bag.

So weird :rolleyes:

StaceyLyn

Somewhere Sunny
O.G.
Aug 15, 2008
Where it never rains
That's interesting. I notice I usually don't get a lot of SA attention when carrying SOs, and maybe it is the assumption of an existing store relationship. Anything Barenia gets a compliment. The bag I get the most in-store compliments on, though, is my Prune Toolbox (I think because the color is so pretty in Swift and it's an uncommon bag these days), or the rare occasions I carry my Rouge H Box Kelly.
I have a Prune Toolbox, too! I've never carried it into an H Boutique but think I will next I visit one just see to see if it gets a reaction from the SA's. Along with ANY Orange H bag I carry, the Prune TB garners many compliments from passers-by. It really is a beautiful, deep purple especially in Evercolor.