Anthracite vs Steel

sallyca

O.G.
Aug 20, 2008
I just got my Koko mini-bag today and am in love with the leather. It's fabulous. Is the anthracite similar in feel and shininess? In the pics I looked at - it looks like the anthracite is a bit more silver and the steel leans towards blue. Does anyone have both of them and can comment?

Or - if the anthracite and the steel are different - is there any other leather that is like the steel leather?

sallyca...here is a pic of my Anthracite Sonia and Steel Sloane next to each other maybe this will help.

picture.php

Thanks to both of you - I'm such a newbie and have so many questions! Maybe one day I can help someone else.

It looks like the anthracite is a bit of a warmer silver. I like it that the steel isn't too bright and shiny in person. It also seems like they would hold up well to abuse and weather etc. Do the leathers feel the same?

I agree, steele definitely looks more blue in hue.
Great pic, Vyda!

I wore my anthracite lorca today and it started raining. Luckily because it is a metallic the water was easily wiped off and didn't leave any marks, or warping of any sort. I don't treat my leather bags with anything either, not that you shouldn't.
Wouldn't suggest having, say, black lambskin leather out in the rain...

^^I have it and I have posted somewhere about it, but not with pics. I really like the Matilda. I bought it during the Spring sample sale for $122 hoping that it wouldn't be as shiny as HH's pics. I was pleasantly surprised by the finish IRL. I like it for summer, especially when I want to add a punch to my outfit. Plus, I like the fact that I can put it up on my shoulder which I don't know if you can easily do with the satchel. All in all, a good bag for the price I paid.

VV, I'm curious too about whether the Steel and Anthracite "feel" the same. When RMC was describing the Anthracite, it sounded like it. Steel feels to me like a coated suede (in terms of how supple the leather is). It's smooth, though, not like the Pewter or Bronze leathers that the Corc came in--they felt rough and flaky to the touch. Steel doesn't feel like Lead (which is completely unique; the metallic on Lead is a VERY thin coating and both of my Lead pieces is rubbing off at the corners to reveal a sort of dull grey).

And Sallyca, Missty4 posted fantastic pics of her Matilda somewhere... I'll see if I can't find them. She loved the Steel, too, but found the Matilda too thin I think, and sold it. Maybe you need to join VV and me in Sloane-ville??

Ok so I have both bags in front of me....The Anthracite is very smooth and smoosy. But the Steel is a completely different. It is a rough kind of smooth, if that makes sense. I think b/c the leather is kinda a wrinkled feel, not COMPLETELY a flat smooth like Anthracite. However the Steel leather is MUCH MUCH more of a smoosy leather. I hope this make sense. In any event they are both very durable and incredible bags!!!!

^^^ I think so. The Steel has wrinkles in the leather itself, or something like wrinkles. It's sort of like wood grain. And IMHO the Steel is a thinner leather (that's why I wondered if it wasn't split). Sounds like the Anthracite is a full-grain leather that's been coated? It feels thicker, like a non-metallic, Cordovan or something?

Wow - you guys are such amazing enablers! First, I'm just minding my own business, liking the HH bags but not buying, THEN I start reading the posts here with all the great analysis of the bags. Next I see the KP corc on ebay and fall all over it (umm that was only 4 months ago and I use it almost every day for work and shopping), then the olive Maldives and sam wallet which were marvy on a trip to Whistler in May, then I accidentally stumbled across a cordovan conrad, a BZ pilot and 2 pomps (VCP, black smooshy wonderful leather), then that damn little or big bang happened (2 more sams, black lorca and koko in steel and very little sleep), then the salivating discovery of a cordovan havana (still don't have it yet - maybe middle of next week) and now, little old plain me (nope, I don't wear shiny or bling, not me) is having lustful feelings about the steel in ANYTHING. (And curious about the other metallics - like the anthracite Havana.) WHAT is going on? Do you guys have some sort of magic dust that comes through the computer? Whatever it is has cast a spell on me!

Okay - my hands are in the air and I give up. Tell me about the sloane?

The Matilda might be a bit thin for a work bag but would it work for wallet, iphone, New Yorker, sunglasses and a Moleskine notebook? The straps look long and comfy - do they stay on?

Hey Sallyca--sorry! I got busy running errands and didn't find you Thuy's pics of the Matilda. BUT you did convince me to take the Sloane out for a spin on my errands (even though I do feel Steel is more of a "winter" color, don't know why). OK. The Sloane is a classic 2-handle satchel. It's roughly the same shape (E/W) and size as the Tharpe, but I think the Tharpe's deeper, and of course the Sloane has only one main compartment. But it's got a TON of pockets, inside and out. The front two side-by-side pockets are both slip pockets AND zip pockets, and the center N/S zipper opens on a thinnish pocket that runs the full width of the bag. The straps are thin/flat, and my only complaint. They're the only HH straps that fall off my shoulders, but I think it's the slickness of the leather rather than something about the strap. The lining, of course, is TDF, and the little zipper ties fun. It holds a ton, and is a good all-round carryall bag. It's very lightweight.

Here's mine:
DSCN2198.jpg

DSCN2202.jpg

trophy14.jpg

I find the Koko in Steel very appealing but I prefer the neutrality of Anthracite in a bag. I think Steel is too blue to be that neutral and depending upon the lighting, Anthracite can even have a bit of a warm tone. As in Leo's example, Anthracite is virtually indestructible; haven't heard if the same is true for Steel.

Thanks Jennirane! I see what you mean about the thinness of the Matilda.

And your pics of the sloane are gorgeous. Do you like the Tharpe shape and organization better? I think the Tharpe came in Anthracite once upon a time. And I'm drawn to the pictures and descriptions of the colour of anthracite.

I really like the grain of the steel though and the sloane is very appealing....

Or there is always the havana in anthracite....

What to do?

Sybaryte - There is gold-toned hardware on the koko and weirdly I think it gives it a bit of warmth.