Another way to clean darkened handles!!!

StarBrite310

Purse & Jewelry Fanatic!
O.G.
Jun 6, 2007
My Grenat City, which I bought new just in April, already has darkening on the front handle. Granted I use it quite a bit, but I'm still upset being it's not THAT old. I was putting it on my arm a lot but now for sure always use the shoulder strap. Must be from when I would put lotion on my arms and then carry my bag :Push:

Anyway, I just tried something out now that helped the darkening a little and took away most of the grimy feeling. I used a jewelry cloth. The one you use to clean silver jewelry. It definitely helped and I recommend trying it out. I just rubbed the cloth into the handles. Only a couple small, very light spots came on the cloth from color transfer. Nothing that made me stop and freak out.

Of course the handle still has some darkening but I'd say it's about 60-70% better than it was before :yes:

Just thought I'd let you know :smile:

I'm sorry. I didn't take any pics :sad: Has it worked for anyone else though? I mean it's not a major major difference but it did help somewhat. Worth a try!!! Mine definitely lightened up.

Hello,

I have a calcaire first that I love but the handles are getting sooooo dirty. I was wondering what products you guys recommend that would extract the dirt/oil from the handles. I've already sent it to LMB and I ... won't do it again. I'm not against trying their cleaners, but want to make sure they work.

I know there's plenty of other threads, but it's hard to find information specific to handles, so please do not close this :sad: I've searched for a while now.

Thanks in advance.

Most of the do-it-yourself efforts seem to be either harsh enough to remove color and finish, or they don't work. I've tried the erasers, leather cleaners, cornstarch, etc., all with results that leave the handles either unchanged, or changed for the worse.

You said you don't want to use LMB, but IMO, they are the only way to go for handle cleaning. I've seen some complaints about them, but I've never seen evidence of anything but excellent results with Bal handles.

Just be aware that they will dye the handles if their cleaning process takes too much color out, and this is not always the case. When it is, they do an excellent color match, and the difference in texture is unnoticeable on the handles. I don't think there is anything else that can make handles look new again, except replacing them.

This handle problem is so frustrating! :heart: