Another "should I be worried" thread - re USPS tracking

crissy11

O.G.
Jun 23, 2009
So I purchased something from ebay that was supposedly shipped on Monday. I got a shipping update with a tracking number. As of today the USPS website update still says the following:

The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on May 16, 2011 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if / when available. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.

I contacted the seller who said he actually took it to the post office on Monday and contacted USPS and he sent me this message:

"I just spoke to them by phone. They said that I should wait untill tomorrow before I make any inquiry. Let's wait till tomorrow than I hope I can give you more precise information. Thank you."

I also ordered a bag from another seller on Tuesday and the tracking info on that one is completely up to date, which is why I'm concerned. Is it possible that USPS could have updated tracking for one but nothing for the other or does this sound worrisome?

I'm in Canada which is why I'm not sure about how timely USPS is with tracking updates.

I'm not terribly concerned yet because I know Canada Post has horrid tracking updates sometimes, but a little pat on the back not to worry would be nice. :biggrin:

What's your experience in these cases?

It may or may not be scanned upon the way. They will not do anything for 21 days. Just put your e-mail address into the tracking so USPS notifies you when it arrives.

It may or may not be scanned upon the way. They will not do anything for 21 days. Just put your e-mail address into the tracking so USPS notifies you when it arrives.

Yep, did that already. 21 days, wow, that's a long time!!

USPS is weird with their scanning on tracking labels. I once had a package scanned for the first time upon delivery. So much for "tracking" the package.

Yeah that once happened to me with Canada Post so that's why I'm not overly concerned. Just thought it was weird when the second one had info immediately available.

It totally depends. I've once mailed out five packages on the same day (all in a stack at the same post office), and four of them were scanned that day, and the other one was never scanned until it got to its destination post office. I also recently just got a package that hadn't showed up in tracking for 10 days (usually packages are delivered to me within 3!), and then suddenly showed up as being completely across the country!! When it finally arrived, it was smeared with crushed berries and bits of grass! Haha I have NO idea what adventures it went on.. but I guess the bottom line is that you don't need to worry until a long time has passed, and even then, it will most likely find its way to you.

It totally depends. I've once mailed out five packages on the same day (all in a stack at the same post office), and four of them were scanned that day, and the other one was never scanned until it got to its destination post office. I also recently just got a package that hadn't showed up in tracking for 10 days (usually packages are delivered to me within 3!), and then suddenly showed up as being completely across the country!! When it finally arrived, it was smeared with crushed berries and bits of grass! Haha I have NO idea what adventures it went on.. but I guess the bottom line is that you don't need to worry until a long time has passed, and even then, it will most likely find its way to you.

Thanks, and wouldn't you love to know the goings on of our parcels and how they get around!!! I bet they could tell some stories. :lol: I feel better now, thanks.

I rarely check the USPS tracking site anymore--it is never correct. I have a pretty bad p.o. and I doubt they follow established procedures.

Well I feel horrible for the seller. He just emailed me that there is still no info on the sunglasses and that he plans to send me another pair express shipping at his expense - I only paid for the priority shipping.

I told him if he hasn't sent the second pair to wait for a week and see if the first ones show up, which I think they will. I don't want him to be out sunglasses and shipping, and it will probably sour him to international shipping too - and he sells a lot of stuff worldwide.

I definitely do not believe for a second he is scamming me - unless I'm totally naive - and I don't think I am.

Do you guys think I did the right thing in telling him to wait or should I just let him go ahead and send the second pair? Somehow that doesn't feel right to me.

What do you guys think? Am I being stupid or sensible? I'm still covered if they don't show up right??

How long has it been since you paid? You have 45 days to file a PayPal claim, so as long as you're well within that window, you should be fine to wait. I would sit tight and wait too -- we know that shipping from the US to Canada can take awhile, so the item will probably show up eventually. I think the seller is being super nice and providing excellent customer service, but I also think it's a nice thing for you to do, waiting an extra week (as long as it's within the 45 days, again).

Also, if he ends up sending the second pair and then the first pair shows up, you can always refuse the package and it will get sent back to the seller. So it'll work out for everyone in the end. You shouldn't feel that bad for the seller because if he's a big time seller (as it sounds like), he probably isn't making too big of a loss on sending you a second pair. Plus, you will be thankful for his excellent customer service and more likely to buy from him again!

Well I feel horrible for the seller. He just emailed me that there is still no info on the sunglasses and that he plans to send me another pair express shipping at his expense - I only paid for the priority shipping.

I told him if he hasn't sent the second pair to wait for a week and see if the first ones show up, which I think they will. I don't want him to be out sunglasses and shipping, and it will probably sour him to international shipping too - and he sells a lot of stuff worldwide.

I definitely do not believe for a second he is scamming me - unless I'm totally naive - and I don't think I am.

Do you guys think I did the right thing in telling him to wait or should I just let him go ahead and send the second pair? Somehow that doesn't feel right to me.

What do you guys think? Am I being stupid or sensible? I'm still covered if they don't show up right??

Your seller is very generous in offering a second pair at his expense...since it has only been 5 days since purchase. I am thinking he may have printed the label and forgot to take it to the post office. ;)

I'm not sure if it still this way but while ago, I was told by customer service at USPS that international priority mail doesn't have tracking number (but customs number) so they are not required to scan the label. A couple of my package went to overseas never got scanned until it reached to the destination countries. Other times, I saw some update within US. So it's really unpredictable.

I just wanted to update that I got my item today and I'm so happy. I ordered a pair of Prada sunglasses that sell for $350 in Canada ($260 in the USA) for $140 off ebay. I was worried sick that they could be fakes, but I just got them and they are perfect. They are for my DH - he had the same ones but lost them in a car accident and we didn't want to have to pay $350+taxes for them again.

I'm so happy!!!!

I just wanted to update that I got my item today and I'm so happy. I ordered a pair of Prada sunglasses that sell for $350 in Canada ($260 in the USA) for $140 off ebay. I was worried sick that they could be fakes, but I just got them and they are perfect. They are for my DH - he had the same ones but lost them in a car accident and we didn't want to have to pay $350+taxes for them again.

I'm so happy!!!!

Yay! I'm late to this thread, but wanted you to know that the last item I purchased from the US with USPS tracking NEVER updated. I too was pretty worried, but the item arrived after 3 or so weeks.