Another reason not to use Google Checkout, did you know the monthly limit was $500

coachfreak

Looking for LVOE
Oct 27, 2007
Okay, I am so pissed at this point I could scream.

I already decided since I had a transaction that wasn't covered I would just go back to Paypal since I really don't appreciate not having a number to call with a question.

When I wrote a message to Google Checkout to ask about the transaction that wasn't covered they wrote back 36 hours later basically copying and pasting the same information I read on the web and that KarmenZ posted in another thread.

I was expecting a big deposit today and I got less than 25% of it. I did not realize the stupid account had a $500 limit or I thought that got wiped out when I verified by bank account information. They have a credit card, they have a bank account number, NOW they want my social security number before they will release anymore of my money. With the transactions I have done in the last couple of days it would take me until MARCH to get the rest of my money.

I just needed to scream because I am SO FREAKIN' MAD.

Thanks for listening.

Did anyone give them their social security number?

I can't remember if I gave them my ss#. I do know I've never had any problems with GC. I can't say the same for paypal. I am sorry you are having all this trouble with them and I hope it gets resolved. I love GC!

I don't think I got that far, because now I remember that when I read they might limit your account, I stopped applying. They should just be the vehicle to transfer funds and not have that much control over my money. If they have your bank account and credit card, I am not sure why they need your SSN. Will they be reporting income to the IRS? I would not give them my SSN. I may have given it to PP at some point (but that was years ago and I don't remember). These days, with so much identity theft, it just doesn't make sense to give it out. GC should have all the info they need on you with what you have already given them.

Here is why I am so mad.

Nowhere since I got these payments did it say there was a limit until yesterday when the transfer should have been initiated.

I really don't think I had a limit so I am wondering if they added it WITHOUT NOTIFICATION after I got a transaction last week that passed the risk checks and wasn't covered for payment protection. Not only is it not covered but you will hold it hostage until March if I don't produce my SS? And with all these issues, you can't get one damn person on the phone.

I sent a message last night online but I likely won't get a response to that until tomorrow.

I can't remember if I gave them my ss#. I do know I've never had any problems with GC. I can't say the same for paypal. I am sorry you are having all this trouble with them and I hope it gets resolved. I love GC!

I hope you never do because this is torture waiting more than 24 hours for a response for these issues.

I've had it with people and companies thinking they're entitled to that information. Social Security numbers were not set up by the government so we could buy cellphones and set up water service in our homes. It's ridiculous, especially now with the Internet and the risk of ID theft.

I hope you can get your money a.s.a.p. without having to give out your SS#. If the big deposit you're talking about is for a single transaction, would it be possible to explain the circumstances to the buyer, cancel the GC payment and use PayFoe instead?

I asked when the limit was placed, why I had the limit, how long it would take to get the remaining money IF I provided a social security number, why they need the social security number, and how I could limit its use to ONE-time and not periodic credit checks. NOT ONE OF MY QUESTIONS WAS ANSWERED.

After almost 24 hours, this was the response. I ONLY took out the opening line which contained my real name.

Thank you for your email.

We appreciate your feedback about Google Checkout, which we'll take into
consideration as we continue to enhance this product.

After reviewing your account, I can confirm you currently have a $500
monthly payout limit.

To remove this payout limit, simply complete the credit verification
process in the Google Checkout Merchant Center. Here's how:

1. Sign in to Google Checkout at https://checkout.google.com/sell
2. Click the 'Settings' tab.
3. Click 'Financials.'
4. Under 'Credit verification,' provide either your company's tax
ID/Employer Identification Number (EIN) or your Social Security number and
credit card information.
5. Click 'Save settings.'

Please see http://checkout.google.com/support/sell/bin/topic.py?topic=8676
for further details on your Google Checkout payouts.

As for the remaining balance in your account, if you do not get the payout
limit removed, it will be disbursed $500 at a time every month.

At this time, we don't offer phone support for Google Checkout. We look
forward to providing additional support options in the future. If you have
specific questions, please reply to this email and we'll be happy to
address them.

If you need immediate assistance, you can also visit the Merchant Help
Center at https://checkout.google.com/support/sell or the Merchants Forum
at http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/checkout-merchants?hl=en for
frequently asked questions about Google Checkout.

Sincerely,

Hrishikesh
The Google Checkout Team

Every account has the $500 limit until either a Business tax ID or SS# is provided. Once you enter this info you can't retrieve it and delete it. Though once you enter it they remaining amount will be deposited into your bank account. Like if you enter the info now, then tomorrow night (Wednesday) they will 'payout' the remaining balance to you. I assume they ask for this info incase a seller has lots of chargeback cases that they loose and then suddenly Google is out all of the money, they will try and collect it from the seller. I know Propay requires a SS# too.

Every account has the $500 limit until either a Business tax ID or SS# is provided. Once you enter this info you can't retrieve it and delete it. Though once you enter it they remaining amount will be deposited into your bank account. Like if you enter the info now, then tomorrow night (Wednesday) they will 'payout' the remaining balance to you. I assume they ask for this info incase a seller has lots of chargeback cases that they loose and then suddenly Google is out all of the money, they will try and collect it from the seller. I know Propay requires a SS# too.

This is not disclosed. Actually the website claims most sellers do not have the limit. If I had been told up front they needed my SS to process more than $500 I never would have proceeded.

I entered it and as soon as they deposit my money I will be closing the account and sending a certified letter to Google demanding they cease the use of my social security number. After this I have been "Googling" issues with Google Checkout and have found so many stories of account closings with no warning.

http://www.squidoo.com/google_checkout

Update: got my money this morning and promptly transferred it out of my eBay/Bonanzle checking account.

Now I will close the account (you must send them a message to suspend it) and see how long it takes. I am waiting for them to send me their address so I can send a certified letter demanding that they cease from using my social security number again.

This is probably their new policy because I've sold $1K+ worth of stuff at one time and never had a problem transferring it out of my Google account (they didn't ask me for my SS#). I'm sorry to hear you had problems but glad to know that it all worked out for you!