Another help me decide thread ;)

kaits33

Aug 4, 2010
I am treating myself to my first bbag-decided on a City. After reading on here about deliciousness of older bal leather, I decided to look for older, used bags over new. I don't like veiny or flimsy leather. I've narrowed it down to an 05 Bordeaux or 05 Olive. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post links to them or not so I won't for now. I really love the Bordeaux but it has slight handle darkening--kind of disappointed in dark handles for the price. The olive is listed as never being carried though. How often do older bags come up in excellent/mint condition? Is it maybe best to wait?

I live in the northeast and want a bag that is versatile and can be worn with many outfits/through various seasons. Also amazing leather that will hold up over time is a top priority. They both seem versatile color wise but its hard to tell on a computer screen. Does anyone have any opinions over which they would buy? This will be my only big bag purchase for awhile because I need the money-- I'm moving across the country next month. So I want to make the best choice! Thanks for any input!

Last edited:
Hi there, in my experience mint older bags do come up for sale, but they are becoming more and more rare and will cost quite a bit higher. I just saw Grenat City in mint condition sell for 1580 or so on ebay. Bordeaux is easier to match other colors, in my opinion, than olive. I had olive 05 Day and let it go, but it had a great smooshy soft leather. The handles on red Bals, at least the older ones, seem to darken faster than other colors, as has been noted by other tPFers. I hope this helps a little, but I know it is a tough decision. Personally, i do not like darkened handles, but they can be cleaned by LMB restorers.

Lakotan said:
Hi there, in my experience mint older bags do come up for sale, but they are becoming more and more rare and will cost quite a bit higher. I just saw Grenat City in mint condition sell for 1580 or so on ebay. Bordeaux is easier to match other colors, in my opinion, than olive. I had olive 05 Day and let it go, but it had a great smooshy soft leather. The handles on red Bals, at least the older ones, seem to darken faster than other colors, as has been noted by other tPFers. I hope this helps a little, but I know it is a tough decision. Personally, i do not like darkened handles, but they can be cleaned by LMB restorers.

Thanks for your help Lakotan! :smile: I think I'm leaning more towards a color like Bordeaux. The longer I look at olive the more I think it wouldn't go as well with my outfits. The leather does look amazing, but I think maybe I should be patient for a color that suites me better and in better condition. There are alot of pretty blues and grays too so I guess I'll just keep looking! Now I just have to perfect my being patient skills ;)

I have a Bordeaux City and love it. It goes with tons of outfits. I have an 03 olive brown that is sort of like 05 olive and I love it too but it doesn't go with as many things as the Bordeaux. There are some pics (mod shots) of these bags in my collection thread (below) Bordeaux on page 6. Olive Brown on page 9.

maxxout said:
I have a Bordeaux City and love it. It goes with tons of outfits. I have an 03 olive brown that is sort of like 05 olive and I love it too but it doesn't go with as many things as the Bordeaux. There are some pics (mod shots) of these bags in my collection thread (below) Bordeaux on page 6. Olive Brown on page 9.

Thanks for your input! I searched the forum and actually came across the mod pics...looks so gorgeous on. I really think its best for me to hold out for Bordeaux or a color similar to it. Are there other colors that are similar with great leather? I was also thinking of maybe a shade of grey too.

I am not good at being patient when I figure out what bag I want..but I'll try really hard. ;)

For grey, I would highly recommend Plomb from 2007, great leather and a very nice neutral color. For darker grey you could look into Anthracite, but the color will vary from bluish to greenish depending on season, so it is a hit or miss.

Lakotan said:
For grey, I would highly recommend Plomb from 2007, great leather and a very nice neutral color. For darker grey you could look into Anthracite, but the color will vary from bluish to greenish depending on season, so it is a hit or miss.

I checked out Plomb and it is just beautiful. :smile: going to keep an eye out for it! Thanks!

Its a really hard decision :lol: but i have to support olive because i love that unique colour even though its kinda hard to match outfits. And on the plus side, there is a very low chance of having the same coloured bag out there on the streets.