Another Ebay owned company

flare4fashion

Oct 24, 2006
NYC/PA
Has anyone ever heard of https://www.microplace.com? It is owned by Ebay they actually seem to help those in need. The thing is that I wonder if it "really helps". The concept is for people to "invest" to help those n need all over the world get loans to start businesses. You get paid back principle & interest. Sounds like a good deed, but makes me wonder whats in it for Ebay...helping others? Sounds fishy...lol...j/k.

Nov 16, 2007
OR
I've heard of a similar program that enables regular people invest small sums of money to help those around the world establish business. I forgot the address, but it wasn't owned by eBay.

I think it sounded like a great idea! You could invest as little as say, $20.00, and you could narrow down WHO you wanted to invest in by gender (say you wanted to donate to a strong woman), by industry, or by risk level. I'll have to find this site again. It was very well set up, and definitely NOT owned by eBay.

ETA: FOUND the site! It's www.kiva.org

Nuts25

O.G.
Nov 16, 2006
I've read about Kiva.org in Fortune magazine:

"Users pledge interest-free loans. Standard-issue vharities take as
much as 40 cents on the dollar for administrative costs, but Kiva
directs 100% to borrowers, thanks in part to free payment
processing from PayPal. (Kiva keeps the servers running and the 16
employees paid by tacking on an optional donation of 10% of every
loan.)"

So, that's how the ebay/paypal are connected.

Here is some more from Fortune:

" Kiva treats lenders the way a full-service broker services a
big-money client, providing risk assessment upfront and a steady
stream of post-investment information. Every borrower has an
associated risk rating. The number of defaults sits out in the open
(currently only 0.14% of all loans), a few clicks from photos of
deadbeat borrowers."

Only 0.14% ! Wow!

Nov 16, 2007
OR
I know! Isn't that great? These people who apply to get the loans are really sincere, business-minded people. I think I might "invest", even if it's interest free :smile: