Another Ebay owned company

Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Has anyone ever heard of https://www.microplace.com? It is owned by Ebay they actually seem to help those in need. The thing is that I wonder if it "really helps". The concept is for people to "invest" to help those n need all over the world get loans to start businesses. You get paid back principle & interest. Sounds like a good deed, but makes me wonder whats in it for Ebay...helping others? Sounds fishy...lol...j/k.

2. Never heard of it.*is sceptical* :smile:

3. never heard of it..anyone?:confused1:

4. I've heard of a similar program that enables regular people invest small sums of money to help those around the world establish business. I forgot the address, but it wasn't owned by eBay.

I think it sounded like a great idea! You could invest as little as say, $20.00, and you could narrow down WHO you wanted to invest in by gender (say you wanted to donate to a strong woman), by industry, or by risk level. I'll have to find this site again. It was very well set up, and definitely NOT owned by eBay.

ETA: FOUND the site! It's www.kiva.org

5. I've read about Kiva.org in Fortune magazine:

"Users pledge interest-free loans. Standard-issue vharities take as
    much as 40 cents on the dollar for administrative costs, but Kiva
    directs 100% to borrowers, thanks in part to free payment
    processing from PayPal. (Kiva keeps the servers running and the 16
    employees paid by tacking on an optional donation of 10% of every
    loan.)"

So, that's how the ebay/paypal are connected.

Here is some more from Fortune:

" Kiva treats lenders the way a full-service broker services a
    big-money client, providing risk assessment upfront and a steady
    stream of post-investment information. Every borrower has an
    associated risk rating. The number of defaults sits out in the open
    (currently only 0.14% of all loans), a few clicks from photos of
    deadbeat borrowers."

Only 0.14% ! Wow!

6. I know! Isn't that great? These people who apply to get the loans are really sincere, business-minded people. I think I might "invest", even if it's interest free :smile: