Animalicious Chat Thread

Seeking random kitten advice. I'm looking at a bunch of kittens that one of my coworkers neghbor has. I have picked out one but am still undecided on the second kitten. The other kitten I was considering got picked out by someone else. Now I'm torn between two kittens one is a fluffy ginger boy and the other is a black girl. The guy I picked out is a short hair ginger. So the first time I visited the fluffy ginger did play with me (both of the gingers where the first two to interact with me) the black girl hid most of the time I was there and only came out in the end but didn't really interact with me. The second time I visited them the fluffy ginger interacted with me some more. However the black girl wasn't feeling well and was hiding in the box spring the whole time we were there. We ended up tearing it apart because the mama cat had made two holes for them to hide in it. You could tell she looked like she wasn't feeling hot. Then after we left she hopped in the chair my dad was sitting in and sniffed it curled up and took a nap. The owner wasn't sure what was bothering her maybe food, she used a dented can of food and thought maybe it made her sick. I'm not sure if that was really the issue because I kind of think that all of the kitty's would be sick if it was the food not just one. One of her adult cats who's is a outdoor/garage cat was also acting funny that day. The little black one kind of reminds me of my late Zorro and she seems to be pretty chummy with the one guy I picked out. The owner has sent me pics of them sleeping together and playing together.

So I'm a bit torn which one to get. I had a few friends point out that I had a really sick cat for a long time and that maybe the black kitty has some underlying health issues if she was the only one who was sick. So I'm a bit torn but I have to make a decision tomorrow because she has other people who want to look at them and she needs to be able to let them know who's available. I half feel like I should go for the fluffy ginger because he was one of the first two who interacted with me and played with me both times I was there. But then I feel like I should get the black girl who seems to be pretty good with the guy I picked out. She didn't really interact with me at all, but I'm thinking that would change if we took her home and she adapts to her new environment. The cat mama is a feral so other than the owner who took them in they haven't had a lot of people interaction. The black girl is really cute and like I said before reminds me of my late cat. The pictures of her with the guy I picked melt my heart.

So I'm going over tomorrow night and have to decide who is the second furbaby. They are going to get their second round of shots in the morning so that's why I'm going later in the day. I feel like I'm over thinking this. A part of my problem is I'm like a little kid when given too many options I want them all. That unfortunately is not a option lol.

I would be wary of one acting sick but I would still consider one that is shy. It took my shy boy a few weeks to fully trust me but he turned out to be the most affectionate. Everytime I watch tv I put my furry blanket in my lap and he naps there until I get up. He's a momma's boy :smile:

BTW he is a short hair ginger[emoji173]️

Sdkitty how is your boy doing? Our first cat was a feral cat that was my grandma's. After she passed we brought him home and hated it. After a few years he did a 180 and became the biggest lap cat. I don't know if it's because he was getting older or if he just decided that we are ok.

Sdkitty how is your boy doing? Our first cat was a feral cat that was my grandma's. After she passed we brought him home and hated it. After a few years he did a 180 and became the biggest lap cat. I don't know if it's because he was getting older or if he just decided that we are ok.

I think he's fine....seems to be somewhat bothered by the hot weather. Thanks for asking.

How many of you here own a cat wheel? 2 of our 5 cats are so greedy and eat alot(cat food +snatch my food when im eating and run away to their hidden spot).They've gained so much weight and both of their stomachs hangs down badly. How can you put a cat in a diet? I've tried given both of them less portions but they walk to the other 3 food bowls and eat the other cats food.

You can put them on a diet but it's hard work. First thing is get rid of the dry kibble buffet, if you have one. Then try switching to a limited-ingredient/grain-free canned food. It's more expensive, of course, but it's much better for them. Cats just don't need carbohydrates. They are obligate carnivores, which means their natural diet is 100% meat. Don't worry that your normal-weight cats will starve. A species-appropriate diet is good for them! In fact the best diet for cats is a raw diet, there is lots of info about raw feeding on the web but it's labor-intensive and cats who have eaten "junk food" all their lives are resistant to changing. It's frustrating but rewarding. I did it for a year with my cats and the improvement in everyone's health was astounding. The only reason I stopped was, we have 10 cats and it was costing a fortune, plus I found it difficult to find the organ meats such as hearts, which they MUST have for the taurine.

I have a cat wheel but my lazy self has not done the work to train the cats to use it. Again, there are some good instructional videos out there .

Obesity is believed to be the primary cause of diabetes and other health problems in cats so for their sake you should look into helping them lose weight. Consult with your vet. Good luck!

Reactions: Peridot_Paradise
You can put them on a diet but it's hard work. First thing is get rid of the dry kibble buffet, if you have one. Then try switching to a limited-ingredient/grain-free canned food. It's more expensive, of course, but it's much better for them. Cats just don't need carbohydrates. They are obligate carnivores, which means their natural diet is 100% meat. Don't worry that your normal-weight cats will starve. A species-appropriate diet is good for them! In fact the best diet for cats is a raw diet, there is lots of info about raw feeding on the web but it's labor-intensive and cats who have eaten "junk food" all their lives are resistant to changing. It's frustrating but rewarding. I did it for a year with my cats and the improvement in everyone's health was astounding. The only reason I stopped was, we have 10 cats and it was costing a fortune, plus I found it difficult to find the organ meats such as hearts, which they MUST have for the taurine.

I have a cat wheel but my lazy self has not done the work to train the cats to use it. Again, there are some good instructional videos out there .

Obesity is believed to be the primary cause of diabetes and other health problems in cats so for their sake you should look into helping them lose weight. Consult with your vet. Good luck!
Thank you I really appreciate ur advice:smile: Also I'm amazed at how many cats you have I thought 5 was alot (or at least what ppl tell me:graucho:)

Hallo I hope to get some comments/advises for my cat's behavior.
Yuki used to use his claws very often when he is playing with me. That does not bother me, but what bothers me is: Every time if he sleeps on the bed or sofa he used to hock with his claws in the blankets on bed and blankets on my sofa. I have already holes in my blankets. It looks like he hocks strongly. Does anyone know why? I remember my last cat did not use his claw at all or just very rare.

Thank you in advance!!!

Hallo I hope to get some comments/advises for my cat's behavior.
Yuki used to use his claws very often when he is playing with me. That does not bother me, but what bothers me is: Every time if he sleeps on the bed or sofa he used to hock with his claws in the blankets on bed and blankets on my sofa. I have already holes in my blankets. It looks like he hocks strongly. Does anyone know why? I remember my last cat did not use his claw at all or just very rare.

Thank you in advance!!!

Have you tried clipping his claws?

Reactions: Yuki85
Never thought to clip his claws! I thought he just does not really know how to use his claws[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]Maybe I should try it! [emoji16][emoji16]
some cats will let you do it pretty easily and some will fight you
My Sammy lets me do it. He squirms a bit but doesn't try to really scratch me or anything. I have a special clipper made for this purpose. Looks like this. Sammy's nails get really long and when you clip off the curved ends it helps.
s-l500.jpg

some cats will let you do it pretty easily and some will fight you
My Sammy lets me do it. He squirms a bit but doesn't try to really scratch me or anything. I have a special clipper made for this purpose. Looks like this. Sammy's nails get really long and when you clip off the curved ends it helps.
s-l500.jpg

I clipped all the curved ends on Friday off. In the beginning he was trying to scratching me and got me - I have a long scratch on my hand now, but still I was able to clip off all.... and now it is much more better. But I did it with a normal nail clipper. Where did you get your clipper?

I have a pair of clippers that look like scissors. If he's giving you a hard time wrap him up in a towel like a burrito, and if possible have someone else hold him while you clip.
I was trying to pet him and playing with him and it worked very well. Just in beginning I think he was a bit scared and he scratched me. But now no more holes in my blankets!!! :smile:

Thank you for all your comments. Very helpful....

I clipped all the curved ends on Friday off. In the beginning he was trying to scratching me and got me - I have a long scratch on my hand now, but still I was able to clip off all.... and now it is much more better. But I did it with a normal nail clipper. Where did you get your clipper?

Glad the trimming helped. If you do it on a regular basis hopefully kitty will cooperate. My trimmer is Lambert Kay nail trimmer for dogs and cats. I got it at Petco years ago for about $5. This one on Amazon is similar:
https://www.amazon.com/Safari-Guillotine-Nail-Trimmer-Large/dp/B0002RJM82

I was trying to pet him and playing with him and it worked very well. Just in beginning I think he was a bit scared and he scratched me. But now no more holes in my blankets!!! :smile:

Thank you for all your comments. Very helpful....