Animal shelters in new york

rosie50

Feb 5, 2006
Not sure if i am allowed to do this but the cats are worth it. Do any on you live within a 2 hour drive of Brooklyn or Manhatten animal shelters, they are desperate for foster homes or life long homes if possible. I am pledging money for one little girl tonight she has ended up there because her owner has died, she is beautiful but unless she gets a foster home tonight she will be killed along with at least 5 other little cats that never asked to be born and have ended up in what seems a disgusting place to end your days.

If anybody does live near please please help them i would do more but i live in the UK. I am looking into adoption but it would be really difficult to find a foster home who could help me do this.

I do have 6 cats at home plus a mad coton de tulear dog 5 of my cats are from rescues.

I live 3,000 miles away but the plight of these poor unfortunate souls is universal. I would give anything if people who feel that they just have to buy an animal from a breeder would be forced to read things like this. I will never understand why people won't adopt and save a life.

Unfortunately almost every major city in the US has the same problem. Too many cats/dogs not nearly enough homes. It is beyond depressing just thinking about it. I have 6 foster cats currently and there are still plenty more I will not be able to save. :cry:

Thanks for your replies I thought it was bad in the UK but apart from the RSPCA (there are pretty useless if there is no television camera on them) there are numerous fantastic places especially around London. There are always loads of volunteers to help with the animals and they live in lovely heated conditions.

Back to Manhatten and Brooklyn these places seem like hell holes they do nothing to help rehome the animals and rely on animals charities to save the animals they are killing kittens, young cats and cats that if given more time would easily be rehomed. They are kept in filth and if they go in healthy there usually end up ill because of the conditions of these places. The whole things comes down to there is no organisation at these places and it seems it is easier to just kill the animals. At the moment it is a organisation of facebook that is doing loads to help these animals which is how i have now sort of got involved, they are desperate for even short term fosters 1-2 weeks which is all the need to get these animals homes.

I have read a 32 page report posted on the internet from the council stating back in 2011 how they are going to sort this place out and place the correct staff in these places but of course it has not happened.

I wish i lived nearer i would be knocking on some of the higher up councillers doors in this day and age especially in such rich cities this should not be happening!!!!!!!!

Thanks for your replies I thought it was bad in the UK but apart from the RSPCA (there are pretty useless if there is no television camera on them) there are numerous fantastic places especially around London. There are always loads of volunteers to help with the animals and they live in lovely heated conditions.

Back to Manhatten and Brooklyn these places seem like hell holes they do nothing to help rehome the animals and rely on animals charities to save the animals they are killing kittens, young cats and cats that if given more time would easily be rehomed. They are kept in filth and if they go in healthy there usually end up ill because of the conditions of these places. The whole things comes down to there is no organisation at these places and it seems it is easier to just kill the animals. At the moment it is a organisation of facebook that is doing loads to help these animals which is how i have now sort of got involved, they are desperate for even short term fosters 1-2 weeks which is all the need to get these animals homes.

I have read a 32 page report posted on the internet from the council stating back in 2011 how they are going to sort this place out and place the correct staff in these places but of course it has not happened.

I wish i lived nearer i would be knocking on some of the higher up councillers doors in this day and age especially in such rich cities this should not be happening!!!!!!!!

This is disturbing information- as you say in wealthy places such as New York that should not be happening and it really reflects badly on us. I live in London so unfortunately I cannot help. I got my cat from Battersea home and I must say I was impressed with the work they do and the quality of their volunteers. The cats are kept in their own glass little rooms immaculately clean with secure outdoor access. They have a 'quiet' area for traumatised animals and very young kittens. They interviewed me and checked my house out before I could adopt. They try to rehome all cats, no matter how old, they had an 18 year old with a missing ear, for months before someone took her in. She was a lovely intelligent cat, very large and healthy looking so I am glad they finally did it. I thought all rescue places were like that, but clearly not.

Thankyou everyone for your replies. Is there anybody out there that can help if so go onto the facebook page URGENT Death Row Cats there is a beauty there her owner has died and tomorrow she will unless she gets a home or someone will fosters her for a few weeks her name is Lily I have pledged money for her and will pledge more if need be. Does anybody know anybody who could maybe have one of the cats for a week or so until they can be taken in by one of the rescue groups, i know i am asking alot but these animals are desperate and these shelters by all accounts are some of the worse in the U.S.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE go onto the site and share them with your friends someone may have one.

Ladysarah yes Battersea is like the Hilton of cats homes i have 2 from there one was about 13 years old and had no teeth her name is Molly she is now about 16 years old the other one is Daisy who is only 2 years old and is pure white and is still frighten of everybody apart from me the other 4 range in age for 2 to 14 and i would not part with any of them for anything or anybody.

I always put my animals first i would eat beans on toast for 6 months if i had too. My coton de tulear dog is 2 on the 18th of this month she is a little monster and some nights she has me up and down half the night all because the breeder she came from use to lock them all up in a dark smelly room for 8 hours every night. Obviously i only found out how terrrible she was after i went to get Lily (it was hundreds of miles for where i live) the house was disgusting and i found that she had a enforcement notice put on her in 2008 which only allowed her to keep 4 dogs, when i was there she had at least 24. She is a registered breeder with a posh web site!!!!!!

Yes we have got Lily out i was up to gone 5 a.m. today on the internet, a lovely lady has offered to foster her until she can be adopted or may even go to original owner as she is in hospital and may not even know that her beloved pet has ended up in a kill shelter. It was really hard work i was getting wrong advice from one site that is meant to be helping. i will sort this out at a later date,

I am going to start a new thread for a nearly 2 year old purebreed chihuahua that is desperate for a new home she has until Sunday. She is miles from New York in Los Angeles South Animal Care Centre her name is JICAMA.

Thankyou for you for thinking of us.

Last edited:
Yes we have got Lily out i was up to gone 5 a.m. today on the internet, a lovely lady has offered to foster her until she can be adopted or may even go to original owner as she is in hospital and may not even know that her beloved pet has ended up in a kill shelter. It was really hard work i was getting wrong advice from one site that is meant to be helping. i will sort this out at a later date,

I am going to start a new thread for a nearly 2 year old purebreed chihuahua that is desperate for a new home she has until Sunday. She is miles from New York in Los Angeles South Animal Care Centre her name is JICAMA.

Thankyou for you for thinking of us i wish i could find more people like you.

I live 3,000 miles away but the plight of these poor unfortunate souls is universal. I would give anything if people who feel that they just have to buy an animal from a breeder would be forced to read things like this. I will never understand why people won't adopt and save a life.

can I just say that although I agree with you in principle - there is plenty of room in the world for RESPONSIBLE breeders who love their animals and the breed. The good ones are excellent I love pure bred animals as well as the cross types. For example who could resist a beautiful maincoon or a sweet little rug doll? My cats came from shelters (Battersea Home) and are what euphemistically people call 'short hair domestic' or 'cross'. They are dangerously intelligent :biggrin: as they evolved to survive under adversity. But I do love a pure bred Abyssinians and all the rest too!;)

Whilst I understand what ladysarah is saying, and find all breeds of cats and dogs beautiful in their own way, leaving all the debates about breeding pure-breeds at the 'top end' from a health perspective, I think the problem of breeders (of all kinds of species and breeds of domestic animals, professional and amateur or by 'mistake') is too big too ignore.

My little kitties were dumped in the street at just weeks old. Our local pet never has to buy kittens. The shop has boxes of of tiny kittens left in front of their door every month. Our neighbour, (as good a mother as she is to her 8 children) has let her cat get pregnant time and time again because of religious objections to neutering (certainly from not financial concern). Why get a cat?

In the US AND the UK. The fact of life is irresponsible cat and dog ownership has led to the wholesale slaughter of perfect, healthy and loving animals of all kinds. Animals are labelled ' not suitable for re-homeing' just because they react to their alien and hideous new conditions. All breeds and mixed breeds can find themselves in such a predicament.

The sheer numbers of pets that are homeless make it so much more difficult to re-home pets that are made homeless through no fault of the owner.

On a positive note, through social media and awareness (just like this thread) I do see many animals being saved through the help of dedicated people who do as much as they can, whatever that maybe. :flowers: