Andy Griffith, 1926-2012

Echoes

O.G.
Aug 8, 2008
Former UNC President Bill Friday says Andy Griffith died this morning in Dare County. Friday, who is a close friend of the actor, confirmed that to WITN News.

Friday tells us the 86-year-old actor died at his Dare County home around 7:00 a.m. this morning.

Griffith attended UNC Chapel Hill where he earned a degree in Music. According to IMDb.com, Griffith was a regular on the Ed Sullivan show in the 1950's.

His legacy role, which earned him the title of "America's Favorite Sheriff"on "The Andy Griffith" show, set in fictional Mayberry, put North Carolina on the map in the entertainment industry. The show ran from 1960-1968, propelling a handful of spin-off programs. Griffith also produced and starred in the television series "Matlock."

Griffith received the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2005 from President George W. Bush.

Griffith was born in Mount Airy.

http://www.witn.com/home/headlines/SHERIFF__EMS_Called_To_Andy_Griffiths_Home_161201175.html

Thank you, Andy, for all the joy and laughter you brought to the world with your talents. I loved hearing you play/sing on the Andy Griffith Show...it was and still is one of the best shows on television. :heart:

This is so sad. :sad: There is a town near me called Mayberry, and my husband and I visited there last year. They have an Andy Griffith museum and everything. Anyway, they are doing a tribute to him today which is really cool.

Very sad news.
RIP, he will live forever as Sheriff Andy Taylor.

This one gives me a little lump in my throat. I did watch the originals, with my grandma.
When I was little I wanted to live in Mayberry when I grew up :P

I heard on the news this AM that Jerry Seinfeld tweeted that when characters on Seinfeld entered a room with they greeting "hey" it was a secret salute to andy.