And Grail Means.....

lizavet8

"Ruffian"
O.G.
May 3, 2007
After reading the "Ungrail" thread, it seems that grail means different things to different people. For me, it's something I'm stalking... (yeah, that's you Texas Wildlife.) For others, it seems to be what's flattering, or what's highly collectible, or rare, or framable. So....what does "grail" mean to you?

The traditional meaning is something rare and elusive you are searching for.. or that everyone is searching for. The "Holy Grail", of course, is the chalice used at the Last Supper.

grail to some means a black 35 birkin with silver hardware (which is actually ridiculously hard to find) or to others it might be a braise red croc 32 HAC.................to me grail bags are the absolute classics like black, gold etc. I like subtle and while i admire and quietly lust after some exotics, I have never desired to actually own a croc or otherwise mindboggling colored bag.

my grails are things i want to acquire so badly it hurts and that i don't know whether i will ever come accross -- but i have just enough hope that i might find them that i keep looking.

To me, Grail means whatever I am hot on the trail of at the moment. It's usually some scarf that's at least ten years old :lol:
I have two (three?) grail bags as well but I am starting to think I'll grow old and grey before ever seeing them unless I buy from a reseller.

For me, grail means something that I want very badly but know it will be years before I see it on eBay or wherever. It's almost something unattainable.

In fact, I just got one of my grail scarves! :love:

The light gray/pink Mythologies (Kermit). It's been about 3-4 years since I first saw it (another collector's collection), Then it was on eBay about 2-3 ago, I lost to a higher bidder. It went for over $500! (This time I got it at a much more reasonable price. :graucho: ) So, I guess you can say that I have been waiting about 3 years...

I owe much thanks to Seton and to HermesGroupie for their help!! Thank you! Thank you! :flowers:

I hesitate to call whatever I'm looking for at the moment "My Grail". To me using the word that way sort of cheapens the meaning (for me). If I'm hunting for something I'll just say "I'm looking for ____" , and never use the word "Grail".

Since I think this way I guess I'll only have a very few "Grails" - and they will have great meaning to me even after purchase - and I will probably never sell them.

Grail to me, means things that I am in love with and cannot possibly get (for example, I collect a lot of Coach and love it, but none of it is grail to me because if I save a bit I can go get what I am lusting after)...not for a long time...it will take hard work and patience but that will mean it will feel SO good when I do get it!

I agree with Sarah that it is something you hunt for, like treasure, and everyone has a different grail...or more than one....

My grail is a raisin clemence 30 cm Lindy, and it will forever be the most special because it will be my first H bag and the history of that bag's design has a very personal meaning to me.

There are scarves and goodies I would call grail because I love them more than other comparable items but can't attain them either. Such as a pegasus cadena, the various scarves I like (a few by Sefedin, Ledoux), and the rose shocking Jige.

I think there c an be more than one grail, it doesn't have to be 'the ultimate', although we all probably have our ultimate item...and for others, it only means that ultimate item. no more.

lizavet, good idea for a thread. I think a grail like beauty is in the eye of the beholder. For instance if money was no object and it was a choice between a croc diamond with accents Birkin or a rigide Bolide. I prefer the Bolide. :smile:

It means the money is sitting in the bank, waiting to be spent, but it just won't show up so I can buy it.
I usually don't fall in love with a lot, but when I do, look out.
For example watering can cadena showed up for $500, I'd defenitely entertain the though to buy it.