~Analysis of YOUR collection~

carlinha

O.G.
Jul 27, 2008
ladies,

i know i must not be the only one who does this, the minute they start seeing sneak pics of the upcoming collection start trickling in, making a list of their MUST HAVES, and POSSIBLES...

as i'm solidifying my list for Spring 2011, it got me thinking about my current collection, and what it comprises of... i always thought i preferred the SS collections more for the styles and colors, so it got me curious, and i started categorizing what i currently have into seasons, and this is what i've come up with:

Oldies (<SS08 for me when i first started seriously collecting) = 8
FW08 = 5
SS09 = 6
FW09 = 6
SS10 = 6
FW10 = 5
SS11 (so far) = 3 (but definitely 3 more on the list)

i have to say i learned something about myself:
1. there's not as much discrepancy between SS and FW for me, it seems pretty dead even, so my theory that i like Spring/Summer styles more is actually incorrect
2. i average about 12 pairs per year, so 1 pair per month, or about 6 pairs per season

i'm curious:
1. what does YOUR collection look like?
2. are you an OLDIES, or CURRENT SPRING/SUMMER, FALL/WINTER OR BOTH person?
3. how many shoes do you average a year/month/season?
4. after analyzing your collection, are you actually surprised by what you find, or is it pretty much as you expected?
5. have you learned something about yourself doing this, and if so, what?

this could be quite interesting!!!!

Last edited:
fun topic! for me i haven't been following super long. my first pair was the iowa 70mm (i think those were from 2007?) but then there was a year or so hiatus until my next pair. i think i really started to notice how much i liked the styles in ss09. BUT that said having found this love, i've loved a lot of the older pairs because they seem so distinct and have tried to track them down because of such. i don't know when all of my shoes are from, sadly, but i'll do my best!

i don't have them all in front of me or updated family pic, so i may have missed a pair or two.
oldies - 9
fw08 - 1
ss09 - 4
fw09 - 5
ss10 - 1
fw10 - 0
ss11 - one on my "must-buy" list so far

to be honest, i rarely buy retail so this affects a lot of my response. there has only been one shoe i HAD to have when it first came out (studded VP, still my fave) and i was dying over it because i worried it would sell out/i wouldn't find my size/etc. i think my lessening of "i NEED this NOW!" is after seeing so many shoe miracles happen on this board. it won't always happen, but i do believe where there's a will, there's a way! i'm sure i'll never find calypsos in my size or budget, but i'm okay with that, and i'm okay with admiring the beauty of other ladies' fabulous pairs :cloud9:

there is only one must-have on my spring list (in my sig!), but there are many i admire and wouldn't mind owning.

i'm kind of surprised most of my shoes veer on f/w ish, considering i live in an area that has bad weather most of that time ;)

i would say i average a pair a month, but this is usually from ebay, and i try to be dilligent about one out/one in (though usually another brand gets the heave-ho), both for budget and closet-space. and well, i only have two feet :P

Interesting thread, but since I'm at wazoo's with my son I'll have 2 wait til I get home and stare at my closet full of shoes to give a full response. Plus I'm not good with seasons. I have many shoes/cl's of which I don't remember their seasons. Plus I still have many oldies on my list that I MUST have!

fun topic! for me i haven't been following super long. my first pair was the iowa 70mm (i think those were from 2007?) but then there was a year or so hiatus until my next pair. i think i really started to notice how much i liked the styles in ss09. BUT that said having found this love, i've loved a lot of the older pairs because they seem so distinct and have tried to track them down because of such. i don't know when all of my shoes are from, sadly, but i'll do my best!

i don't have them all in front of me or updated family pic, so i may have missed a pair or two.
oldies - 9
fw08 - 1
ss09 - 4
fw09 - 5
ss10 - 1
fw10 - 0
ss11 - one on my "must-buy" list so far

to be honest, i rarely buy retail so this affects a lot of my response. there has only been one shoe i HAD to have when it first came out (studded VP, still my fave) and i was dying over it because i worried it would sell out/i wouldn't find my size/etc. i think my lessening of "i NEED this NOW!" is after seeing so many shoe miracles happen on this board. it won't always happen, but i do believe where there's a will, there's a way! i'm sure i'll never find calypsos in my size or budget, but i'm okay with that, and i'm okay with admiring the beauty of other ladies' fabulous pairs :cloud9:

there is only one must-have on my spring list (in my sig!), but there are many i admire and wouldn't mind owning.

i'm kind of surprised most of my shoes veer on f/w ish, considering i live in an area that has bad weather most of that time ;)

i would say i average a pair a month, but this is usually from ebay, and i try to be dilligent about one out/one in (though usually another brand gets the heave-ho), both for budget and closet-space. and well, i only have two feet :P

erin i totally agree that there is something about old styles that is so appealing! thankfully, i was lucky enough to obtain almost every single old style i wanted except for the patent castillanas, which are still my forever search.

it seems to me that looking at your collection, you really liked 2009! and i agree, the studded VPs are just amazing! :girlsigh:

Interesting thread, but since I'm at wazoo's with my son I'll have 2 wait til I get home and stare at my closet full of shoes to give a full response. Plus I'm not good with seasons. I have many shoes/cl's of which I don't remember their seasons. Plus I still have many oldies on my list that I MUST have!

i agree taydev, oldies are such GOODIES!!!!

if you are unsure about the season of a shoe, maybe you can post it on here and someone will be able to ID it.... i still get uncertain myself!

ooohh i like this post c!

the first pair i ever acquired was from a brand new NMLC outlet that opened near DBF's house....powder blue patent ernestas, i was still in college so buying shoes was the last thing i was thinking about but i got them for a steal $195!! i have no idea what season they were from but i got them i want to say back in '08? but they usually carry old stuff so they may have been an '07 style? i'm actually not sure what time period most of my shoes are from TBH.... and also like erin i don't buy many shoes in season, i'll wait for a sale or ebay....

studded VPs, black patent ballerinas, and camel patent decolletes are probably the only three pairs i have bought in season... and i think the black patent ballerinas and the decolletes are kind of seasonless.....

i'm just going to kind of guess what season my shoes belong in...

OLDIES = 1
FW08 = 3
SS09 = 2
FW09 = 1
SS10 = 1
FW10 =
SS11 (so far) =

I think this thread is fascinating. I have no idea which seasons any of my shoes come from (though I suspect 99% fall into the oldies category). :shrugs: I'm a little strange I guess.

This is incredibly hard to do, but as I analyze my CL buying patterns I have to say that for the most part, I prefer the older styles and buy what my heart tells me to buy. I do not really know the seasons of my purchases, so I will be doing some guessing here. I am starting from current and going backwards:

resort 10-1 pair
fall 10-2 pair (returned 1)
summer 10-3 pair
spring 10-3 pair
It is all a blur beyond the above seasons,
but I guess that I tend to buy 2 or 3 pair each season at full price, 1 or 2 on sale, with the balance on ebay, of those hard to find, older pairs.

My collection is more open toe than closed toe, with VPs in the majority. I prefer shoes that are exotics-eel, crocodile, lizard, snakeskin, ostrich or pony (ghana VPs, helmuts, giraffe VPs, yoyo zeppas) and I love finding more unusual, older styles, such as biba, pompedeuce, miss money penny, castallana (twice), etc.

The majority of my shoes are 120s with platforms, 100 without, plus a few 140s and 150s. I own several pair of flats, a couple of booties, and above the knee Don Jons.
I currently own 78 pair. I view these shoes as a collection, which is why I always find it so hard to part with any.

There are still a few elusive oldies that I am searching for, including lova pigalles in 100m.

i agree taydev, oldies are such GOODIES!!!!

if you are unsure about the season of a shoe, maybe you can post it on here and someone will be able to ID it.... i still get uncertain myself!
Yes, as you can see from my sig, my list is full of oldies and a couple pair of recent ones (ss10?). And what you see there isn't even my ENTIRE list!!:nogood:

Ok, I'm going to skip the seasons for now until I figure it out, then I will post that.

1. what does YOUR collection look like? I would describe my collection as colorful. I try to refrain from the purchasing the same patterns, fabrics, materials, colors and styles. I have to have the perfect mix of everything. Speaking of which, I need some CL sandals:P. I don't have any CL flats, but I am eyeballing those Beige Louis Spikes:graucho:. I have a thing for beige this season.

2. are you an OLDIES, or CURRENT SPRING/SUMMER, FALL/WINTER OR BOTH person? It's hard to say sometimes. I guess because of my "want" list, I will say oldies. I am still in love, after all these years, with many of the old styles (circa 06-08) but there have been a small few of the current styles (2010) that just blow my mind!!! (ahem. multi greis;)).

3. how many shoes do you average a year/month/season? Hmmmmm.....:thinking:I went about a year withouth buying, but now it seems I'm on a binge making up for the time and styles I've missed. I have 19 (going on 20 possibly within a week) CL's, and have been seriously collecting since 2008. So I'd say I'm avaraging 7 pair a year.

4. after analyzing your collection, are you actually surprised by what you find, or is it pretty much as you expected? As far as material, surprising. Styles, pretty much what I expect. Although I'm trying, I don't have too many eclectic and edgy styles, but plenty of fabrics, material, color etc. The most edgy CL I have is the blk studded vp's. other than that most of my Cl's are ron ron's, vp's, declics etc; a lot of basic styles KWIM.

5. have you learned something about yourself doing this, and if so, what? I'm starting to be more open minded as to what I wear. CL's have given me the confidence to spice up my wordrobe. Now I'm into vibrant colors or edgy studs/spikes. I don't have a specific or "safe" style anymore, CL's allow me to venture into many versatile looks!

:goodpost:

Wow L, youve been busy! It seems like you were just in the mid-50 range at the signing last year. Have you had a chance to wear every pair yet?.....outside the house?

This is incredibly hard to do, but as I analyze my CL buying patterns I have to say that for the most part, I prefer the older styles and buy what my heart tells me to buy. I do not really know the seasons of my purchases, so I will be doing some guessing here. I am starting from current and going backwards:

resort 10-1 pair
fall 10-2 pair (returned 1)
summer 10-3 pair
spring 10-3 pair
It is all a blur beyond the above seasons,
but I guess that I tend to buy 2 or 3 pair each season at full price, 1 or 2 on sale, with the balance on ebay, of those hard to find, older pairs.

My collection is more open toe than closed toe, with VPs in the majority. I prefer shoes that are exotics-eel, crocodile, lizard, snakeskin, ostrich or pony (ghana VPs, helmuts, giraffe VPs, yoyo zeppas) and I love finding more unusual, older styles, such as biba, pompedeuce, miss money penny, castallana (twice), etc.

The majority of my shoes are 120s with platforms, 100 without, plus a few 140s and 150s. I own several pair of flats, a couple of booties, and above the knee Don Jons.
I currently own 78 pair. I view these shoes as a collection, which is why I always find it so hard to part with any.

There are still a few elusive oldies that I am searching for, including lova pigalles in 100m.