An SA raised the price on me...how to handle?

emxowm

O.G.
Nov 26, 2007
Ok, I'm a little irritated and would like some advice. I spoke with an SA at Saks last Friday about a few bags that I wanted. They were both quoted on sale around $400. The SA was there by herself and asked me to call back on Sunday to give my CC info. When I spoke with her on Sunday she asked if I wanted to wait to ring them through on Thursday so I could take advantage of the EGC event, so I said sure. When I checked my CC online this weekend to make sure the charges went through, the charge was for almost $1200. I e-mailed the SA, thinking that maybe my order was switched with another and she wrote back saying that the bags were $500 something and $600 something. "They were additionally marked down for a while but not permenantly and the price went back up." How would you handle this? I wrote her letting her know the original prices that she gave me saying that I wouldn't have waited to buy had I known the price would go up. Has anyone dealt with something like this? Will Saks/the SA honor the price she originally gave me?

First you should call your credit card company and explain the situation to them, so that you can get the charge reversed.

Then call the department of the store, ask for the manager, and after getting her name, explain the reason for the charge-back, then ask "what is a good number to call to find out the best way to avoid causing you this kind of inconvenience in the future?"

In all probability, the manager will not wish the incident to be discussed with the store's headquarters, and will be more than happy to work out a satisfactory arrangement for you.

Oops, forgot to mention, be extra, ultra-polite, apologize for the charge-back, as if it was all your fault, and that it is they, and not you who have been wronged and inconvenienced.

They will particularly not wish an attitude like that to get anywhere beyond their own head!

Thanks for the wise words, Shimma. I'll let you know how it goes. The more I think about it, the more irritated I get. When I e-mailed the SA, this is what she wrote back

Your order amounts were as follows:
Marc Jacob bag - $517.90
Chanel perforated - $637.90
Shipping - $15.00

There as a 5 day period a couple of weeks ago that these bags may have had an additional markdown. But they have now been permanently marked at the above price.
You should receive them soon. I hope you enjoy them and please let me know if I can help you again. I have your info and will call for any further sale items.
I will be on vacation next week. I will return on Wednesday, Sept. 3

She doesn't even acknowledge that the total price is $400 more than she originally quoted me and no apology for the confusion. Oh, and by the way, I will be out for the next week and a half so I can't help you?!?!?! I am going to do my best to be as lovely as I can on the phone, but I feel like :cursing:.

It is not even legal for her to charge any amount to your card. She has to have your authorisation to put a telephone credit card transation through. Did you authorise that amount? NO! I think you should speak to her manager. This would annoy me. Call and ask for her superior and state that you were quoted one amount and charged another. Give them 24 hours to rectify then say you are calling your CC company. Please let us know the outcome. I hope you get the bags.

I would follow shimmapuff's excellent advice, with the further firm statement that you had never authorized a charge above the original amount. That is not only extremely poor customer service, it is also illegal. Any SA with whom you had been in contact regarding that purchase should have (with common sense) thought to tell you the new price.

I think this situation is more than annoying--it is near infuriating. Good luck and let us know what transpires.

So I think it is going to be okay. I spoke with the handbag manager. He said he can't do anything until the bags are in my possesion, but when I get them to call and he will figure out the adjustment. He was very friendly and said he was sure that the SA just forgot the sale prices she had quoted and rang the bags up at there current price. (which I'm sure is what happened originally, but she should have fixed it when I asked the first time). All in all, it was very pleasant and I didn't have to get ugly. Thanks for the wonderful advice ladies!

So I think it is going to be okay. I spoke with the handbag manager. He said he can't do anything until the bags are in my possesion, but when I get them to call and he will figure out the adjustment. He was very friendly and said he was sure that the SA just forgot the sale prices she had quoted and rang the bags up at there current price. (which I'm sure is what happened originally, but she should have fixed it when I asked the first time). All in all, it was very pleasant and I didn't have to get ugly. Thanks for the wonderful advice ladies!

PHEW! Glad that worked out!