An exercise in blind faith

Jun 23, 2007
Aside from the metallic blue camera bag and the "dreaded" scales messenger, I found a beautiful C coat. Long story short, it's the coat of my dreams, even in a teensy size it fit, but I needed to try to find a better deal than NM. I did the Bloomies route and opened a new account, got discount, no tax, gift cards, coupons, etc. I ordered it two sizes up for a good shoulder fit, but I know it will need alterations. What else could be better -- a Chanel brooch. For some reason, I've shied away from the jewelry, because it's a bit much for me, but on this particular coat, it is very plain, black, no real trim except a button at the throat and on the cuffs. I asked the SA to pick out a beautiful brooch to go with. So, she called yesterday, described the pin, said it looked gorgeous with the coat and it was being shipped yesterday. And, the gift cards that I earned paid for the pin and there are still gift cards left over!!
So, here's the blind faith -- I haven't even tried on the coat in the real size and I have no idea what the pin looks like -- I have never met the SA in person, she just happened to answer the phone when I called about the coat. Somehow, I know this will work out and be beautiful.
I have actually been searching for a true A-line swing style coat for most of my adult life, which is a long time.
So, stay tuned to see what I got! I can't wait to see what she chose for me.
--Judy

Nice one Judy! It will be just like Christmas ;)

Incidentally, do you know what sizes the RTW go up to? I have seen some totally "ME :heart:" things here recently but am too embarassed to ask the size 0 girlies!

Nice one Judy! It will be just like Christmas ;)

Incidentally, do you know what sizes the RTW go up to? I have seen some totally "ME :heart:" things here recently but am too embarassed to ask the size 0 girlies!

Carole, I haven't a clue about sizes. I tried on the coat in 38 and it fit perfect, I mean perfectly in the shoulders. But I was wearing a short sleeve t-shirt at the time. Since it was a swing style, it just flared out like a bell shape. Since I will not be wearing the coat without a sweater or jacket under, I went up to a 42. I tried on a much larger size, less generously cut jacket at NM for size and I could barely put it on. So, the style/size is key. I told the SA from Bloomies about my size dilemma and she concurred with the decision that we made at NM. Bloomies will alter the coat for me. I'll have to take it back to NY to get it pinned. I don't want anyone who is not a Chanel-trained seamstress to work on it.
--Judy

Thanks Judy :tup:

The largest size here seems to be 36 :faint: but I will have to double check what size I am in these - 'tis all different from the British sizing numbers.

^ Yikes!!:wtf: I knew Japan always order only small sizes but 36?!! 36 is like 2 in USA or 6 in UK. Another words, too skinny to be the largest size to be carried in a shop.:cursing:

ETA : Chanel RTW is available in sizes totally way beyond your size. Wait till back at UK! Plenty of beautiful things your DH would not like (lol) would be available for you to try there.

Last edited:
Chanel sizes go up to a 50, which is a US 14-16. Chanel cuts are all over the place in measurements so you must get somebody to measure the bust,waist,shoulders etc. for you if you are doing a mail order. Anything in the 46 and over range is rare and hard to find. Hope this helps.:smile::okay:

Remember, in most instances there is such a sizeable seam allowance that a garment can be sized up two sizes. This rule does not apply to chiffon tops, cami tops but in jackets, coats, skirts and usually pants.

^ Yikes!!:wtf: I knew Japan always order only small sizes but 36?!! 36 is like 2 in USA or 6 in UK. Another words, too skinny to be the largest size to be carried in a shop.:cursing:

ETA : Chanel RTW is available in sizes totally way beyond your size. Wait till back at UK! Plenty of beautiful things your DH would not like (lol) would be available for you to try there.

:roflmfao: re DH ;) UK 6 would be about right for the average size here.

I've just looked at an online conversion thingummy - I take it the sizes on the Chanel RTW are French? Good to know they go higher - I'll need a 42-44 :Push:.

Damn childbearing! Must do that thing called a "diet" :P