An ebay seller told me this: Is it true?

Feb 3, 2013
I wrote to an ebay seller who I noticed had a "no returns" policy. I asked if they guarnteed authenticity (I figured if it was fake and they said that they accept returns only if not authentic that I'd have more protection...IDK!) anyway, this was her response:

"Hi, louis vuitton has a special dept. that checks all the lv's listed on ebay and if they determine they are not real they have ebay remove the listing. thanks for asking."

I don't feel comfortable buying from her, it felt like she was dodging my question. Is what she told me even true? Thanks TPFers!:biggrin:

no its not true, ebay rely on people spotting fakes and reporting .. while they may have a department that oversees this its certainly not foolproof. get everything your intersted in authenticated on here xx dont get stung . if you feel unsure aoid x go with your gut instinct x

Thanks, friends. I just decided to go straight to Louisvuitton.com and buy myself a brand new Azur Speedy 35...I can't wait for her to get here!!! WOOOOHOOOO!!!!!

Last edited:
I have a similar question. I'm new to LV and have been browsing. I saw a pochette they said was from around 2005. When I asked for a photo of the date code they said the older styles don't have it. Is this true?

I have a similar question. I'm new to LV and have been browsing. I saw a pochette they said was from around 2005. When I asked for a photo of the date code they said the older styles don't have it. Is this true?

No, it is not true.. I have LV items from 2001, 2004 and they have date codes. I have seen older items from 1998 that have the date code. A pochette from 2005 would definitely have a date code.

No, it is not true.. I have LV items from 2001, 2004 and they have date codes. I have seen older items from 1998 that have the date code. A pochette from 2005 would definitely have a date code.

Even fake ones have date codes! :roflmfao:
Either she doesn't know where it's at or it's a fake and she doesn't want to give you the date code info.

When I asked if she just didn't know where to look that it should have one. She came back at me with a snarky comment. Said "you don't know what you're talking about. I worked at Louie (yes she spelled it that way) for two four years (not sure if she meant two or four.. lol).. If you have a problem with that don't buy it plain and simple"

I was not hateful when I commented on her item (its on Poshmark so everyone can see what she is saying). Seems she was awfully quick to jump to the defensive.

So I did a little digging and I told her that 1. I wasn't trying to stir up trouble I wasjust asking a simple question and that 2. LouiS Vuitton did start using date codes in the late 1980s so a pochette from the 2000s definitely should have one. And I did also inform her that there are fakes that have date codes.

Which I do remember my cousin having a fake speedy she used to tote her art supplies in a few years back that did have one.

When I asked if she just didn't know where to look that it should have one. She came back at me with a snarky comment. Said "you don't know what you're talking about. I worked at Louie (yes she spelled it that way) for two four years (not sure if she meant two or four.. lol).. If you have a problem with that don't buy it plain and simple"

I was not hateful when I commented on her item (its on Poshmark so everyone can see what she is saying). Seems she was awfully quick to jump to the defensive.

So I did a little digging and I told her that 1. I wasn't trying to stir up trouble I wasjust asking a simple question and that 2. LouiS Vuitton did start using date codes in the late 1980s so a pochette from the 2000s definitely should have one. And I did also inform her that there are fakes that have date codes.

Which I do remember my cousin having a fake speedy she used to tote her art supplies in a few years back that did have one.

:roflmfao: OMG I'm dying! Please stop.... HAHAHAHA
She obviously doesn't want your money or anyone else's w/ that rude 'tude so I'd just laugh about it and be on my way. You don't deserve that kind of treatment for asking a simple question and if she was selling the real thing she'd have nothing to hide.

What's the item? O.o

:roflmfao: OMG I'm dying! Please stop.... HAHAHAHA
She obviously doesn't want your money or anyone else's w/ that rude 'tude so I'd just laugh about it and be on my way. You don't deserve that kind of treatment for asking a simple question and if she was selling the real thing she'd have nothing to hide.

Pretty much my thoughts as well. I got a kick out of it. She's called it a LouiE multiple times. And with that kind of attitude I highly doubt she worked at LV and by some slim chance she did, it probably wasn't for long. :P

And it's not like it was just a private message, on Poshmark you leave the comments on the item so there it is for all of cyberspace to see.

She should understand that listing an LV people are going to ask questions (and probably LOTS of them) to make sure they're getting an authentic product.