An article that all the Hermès fans would love to read

No problem, gracekelly. :smile:

I must say that Miuccia Prada came off as a bit of an arrogant elitist in the book. I don't want to give too much away, but I sensed from the interview that she has a disdain for the overconsumerism found in the middle class today, yet the Prada nylon bag was identified as the main catapult of luxury, high end brands entering into the middle class consciousness. Also, the writer stated that Miuccia's family was well-off at one point, but not aristocratic. Yet her protrayal of Prada was someone who considered herself an upper class lady. This is just my personal interpretation, of course. YMMV.

Reminds me of something else someone once wrote. A communist is a communist until they get some money
This reminds me of the German movie The Edukator. At one point, a middle aged man said to a young man in his 20s, "When you're in your 20's and you're a liberal, you have heart. When you're in your 30's and you're a liberal, you have no brain." Lol!

No problem, gracekelly. :smile:

I must say that Miuccia Prada came off as a bit of an arrogant elitist in the book. I don't want to give too much away, but I sensed from the interview that she has a disdain for the overconsumerism found in the middle class today, yet the Prada nylon bag was identified as the main catapult of luxury, high end brands entering into the middle class consciousness. Also, the writer stated that Miuccia's family was well-off at one point, but not aristocratic. Yet her protrayal of Prada was someone who considered herself an upper class lady. This is just my personal interpretation, of course. YMMV.

Understand completely and agree with your interpretation of her. My DH loves people like this who look down their noses at you while relieving you of your money. My understanding is that Prada was a family company on the skids and she and her husband, what a cutthroat rep that guy has, brought it back from the grave. Poor Jil Sander has gone back and forth with this guy 2-3 times I think.

The book covered the rise of Prada, gracekelly. I think you'd enjoy the book. The writer also wrote about conflicting stories of how Miuccia and her husband met. Basically, Miuccia gave one version and the writer provided a different, less romantic version.

Yes, she and her husband are communist. Yes, apart from politics, they are know for their upsetting arrogant behaviour towards many people, among whose are many people who work for them. Yes, it was Mrs Prada's family company (formerly known as Pellettieri d'Italia) and they brought it back from the grave, but there are mixed opinions on how this happened. There are also mixed opinions on why huge fortunes in their country often belong to people with their political inclinations. Let's say that it sometimes help a lot to be communist in that country. But I won't say more on this topic, I don't want this discussion to become embarassing for our hosts.
Back to topic.

Read someplace that there is a color and style set forth for each fashion season and the fashionista workers have to comply on pain of death! Apparently some woman didn't get the memo and the DH nearly fired her on the spot!

I don't see luxury as being defined by scarcity. I see luxury as an education about quality. It's about knowing that the materials and construction are second to none. And most importantly, it's knowing that whatever you're wearing or carrying fits YOU, not you trying to fit the brand's image.

^^^^ I :heart: this!!^^^^^
Also thanks for jumping on here dc120 and pulling out so many of my favorite quotes too.
I think the book gives terrific background info and lets the reader draw their own conclusions about what one chooses to spend time and money on acquiring (or not!).

And I think also draws an understandable picture of the interconnectivity between these brands and business concerns that leave little room for the actual product.

The book covered the rise of Prada, gracekelly. I think you'd enjoy the book. The writer also wrote about conflicting stories of how Miuccia and her husband met. Basically, Miuccia gave one version and the writer provided a different, less romantic version.

:yes::yes::yes: -- Yes, from the parts of the industry that she covered that I am familiar with (not Prada, however!) - I think the author does a remarkable job of fact checking and exploring the PR "stories" through first hand interviews and visits all over the world.

^^Political correctness for the masses TT?

:angel::angel::angel:

It might be more like belonging to the right lobby. This goes back to the late 60's when there was a share and give between the political forces. I give you power in this fiel, you give me power in that field. It's just that some fields were underestimated, and now...

It's a small world.

Back to topic, this is getting:Push: