AmEx points reward program - discounted gift cards

sunnyflies

Nov 14, 2006
near the ocean, NY
I just found out that AmEx is offering discounts on certain gift cards bought with points right now. I'm trading for Saks cards which are 15% off, but I believe Neiman Marcus, Brooks Brothers and quite a few more are also being offered. This would be a way to get a percentage off items that are never on sale, like Chanel classic purses. :graucho:

Karolina36

May 4, 2011
Only AmEx gift cards and Travelers Cheques are being discounted... I couldn't find any of the gift cards you mentioned... they are showing at full price. Let us know if you mananged to get the at 15% off!

sunnyflies

Nov 14, 2006
near the ocean, NY
Try again. Go to www.membershiprewards.com, log in and the page should open up offering "Your favorite Rewards on Sale" I have it open now and there's 15% off on certain retailer and dining options - Saks, Neimans, Brooks Bros, landsEnd, even Kohls. There's 20% off certain travel offers and 25% off certain merchandise - North Face, LG, Kitchen Aid ..... and even 40% off Saks gift cards which can be used anywhere. It's really amazing.

Usually when you trade for points the best value, at least for me, has been to get Saks cards as Amex Gift cards cost twice as many points for a $100 gift card. This time not only are the Saks cards discounted, but so are the Amex gift cards which can be used anywhere, like Barneys which Amex does not have a gift card for.

ACS

O.G.
Feb 15, 2008
Try again. Go to http://www.membershiprewards.com, log in and the page should open up offering "Your favorite Rewards on Sale" I have it open now and there's 15% off on certain retailer and dining options - Saks, Neimans, Brooks Bros, landsEnd, even Kohls. There's 20% off certain travel offers and 25% off certain merchandise - North Face, LG, Kitchen Aid ..... and even 40% off Saks gift cards which can be used anywhere. It's really amazing.

Usually when you trade for points the best value, at least for me, has been to get Saks cards as Amex Gift cards cost twice as many points for a $100 gift card. This time not only are the Saks cards discounted, but so are the Amex gift cards which can be used anywhere, like Barneys which Amex does not have a gift card for.
What?! I'm so confused. :P So all the points you earn, you can trade it in and get 15% off at barneys?

babyontheway

May 10, 2009
I logged in and it says I qualify for 20% off rewards, but the gift cards don't seem to be reduced :sad:

sunnyflies

Nov 14, 2006
near the ocean, NY
What?! I'm so confused. :P So all the points you earn, you can trade it in and get 15% off at barneys?
It's simple. You can trade points for AmEx gift cards or travelers checks at discount right now, and then use them anywhere you would like - such as at Barneys.

There is no Barney's gift card, but there are ones for Saks, Niemans and others.

kalodie1

Jan 17, 2007
Thanks for posting this...just got a few $100 Saks gift cards at a discount for Christmas gifts. I am thrilled. Thanks OP!

rito511

O.G.
Jun 13, 2008
bummer, it doesn't look like i'm qualified either... only discount is for amex cards and they're more expensive than the dept store GCs
Same here... discounts only apply to amex gift-cards and I dont like their points system *double than store GC*

ABACOHOPE

O.G.
Sep 28, 2006
DC
ok im so confused! i see all the gift cards that are offered but im not seeing a discounted saks card just a regular one thats $500 for 50,000 points. is there one for less points? i see where they have discounted west elm and williams sonoma but thats about it. please help