AMEX/PAYPAL New Stupid Rules!!

Thanks for the heads up, PP. I tried to pay with AMEX yesterday
and it was denied, I thought it was a mistake. I HATE EBAY AND
PAYPAL. I wish someone would come up with an alternative.
Re: Amex- years ago I called with some complaint I can't
remember and I got ticked off at the Customer Service
Rep (what service?) and she had the nerve to tell me
she was going to transfer me to the "escalation department!"

After having a near nervous breakdown over this news I immediately telephoned BOTH AMEX and Paypal and they have both assured me this is NOT TRUE. They both said there are NO new regulations and to use Paypal and to pay by AMEX to my heart's content. With all due respect could there be other issues with anyone having a problem? All I can tell you ladies is that BOTH companies have assured me nothing has changed. (AMEX # 1-800-472-9297)

This is weird. I have charged maybe four small-->med purchases on my AMEX through Payfoe this month, and no problems.

::shrug::

Maybe it has something to do with the history of certain vendors-- chargebacks, fraud claims, etc.?

I hope its not true. I only use my AMEX with paypal...

because paypal doesn't protect you...and most other cards don't...

but AMEX does!

All I can say is that this what *I* was told. Now if they are telling other people other stories, then I really don't know what to make of it. I know it's nothing with my account as I've made MUCH larger purchases through PP with my AMEX in the past (four figure purchases) and didn't have a minute's trouble. They went right through. Today a $200 purchase gets rejected.

Seems AMEX is talking out of both sides of it's mouth.

This is weird. I have charged maybe four small-->med purchases on my AMEX through Payfoe this month, and no problems.

::shrug::

Maybe it has something to do with the history of certain vendors-- chargebacks, fraud claims, etc.?

I make both small and large charges for purchases using both Paypal and AMEX and have not had a problem....and called both today to see if the rules have changed. I have been assured by both companies that there are NO changes to the regulations......but....if you have an issues with one of them they will decide on a case-by case matter

I called BOTH Paypal and AMEX today and each assured me there are NO NEW regulations (I wanted to hear from both sides having been a reporter for many years). I informed both that I would not make any more online buys if this were the case since I have allocated one of my AMEX cards that I've had for over 40 years strictly to oneline purchases because of AMEX's terrific consumer protection. (****NOTE: Paypal told me AMEX is the ONLY card that really protects it's clients and that has been my experience over the years.)

I was really concerned since I ONLY use AMEX to pay online as they offer the best protection....even Paypal has told this to me on calls.

LOL, I won't have a nervous breakdown and have managed to catch my breath. Whew!

Since I am planning to bid on some Ebay items this is of utmost importance to me.

Paypal did tell me they do restrictions under certain circumstances soooooo .......if you are planning to use your AMEX card to pay through Paypal I suggest you call BOTH Paypal and AMEX beforehand if you have any issues with them or any questions. Here's the AMEX number once again: 1-800-472-9297 .... or else call them on the number listed on your card.

BE AWARE: Due to the horrific economic situatiion Paypal, AMEX and other credit card companies are instituting stricter payment regulations. Do read the fine print on your bills and anything else that shows up in the mail. However, from my calls to BOTH companies today they both assure me there are NO NEW RESTRICTIONS regarding using AMEX to pay through Paypal.

Here's the number for AMEX to check your individual situation: 1-800-472-9297.....You can also get a contact number off your AMEX card.

^ Interesting. I'm going to call the number on my card and ask. Thanks, merrydish. PleeZ don't have a nervous breakdown! :wacko:

Actually, I could not agree more with you......policy changes at any company should be made public and customers notified BEFORE implementation. In fact I said so to BOTH Paypal and AMEX today when I called them on this issue and BOTH assured me any changes to policy would be made public before implemented. Paypal did give me a hint though that they make a decision on a case-by-case basis.

I can tell by your posts that you've had a horrific experience and I truly feel badly for you.

May I make a suggestion that just might help your situation?

Call AMEX (1-800-472-9297....or use the number on your card or bill) and see if you can work this out. Take a deep breath and be as nice as can be to find out why you are having these problems. ********NOTE: on an AMEX call that was answered overseas I got erroneous info....soooooo don't be shy .....call them again....be really nice....and see how you can rectify this problem. Also, do call Paypal and get the scoop....nicely....no hang-ups or a harsh tone of voice. Honey gets the deal clinched; vinegar doesn't. But I truly understand your frustration. From what you have said I really think you can work this out with both companies.......BUT.....you need to ask nicely why these restrictions have been imposed on you. Could be a mistake!!! If so, please be gracious with them since all goes into the records ....yes both companies keep them and that's why you hear the beeps when you are talking to them....and you want to come out as a winner. That's the goal.....keep it in mind and ...just a suggestion....be the bigger person.

Do take these steps and make the calls. PM me if you feel I can be of help.

I'm really rooting for you to get this rectiified!!!
user_online.gif
progress.gif
merrydish View Public Profile Send a private message to merrydish Find More Posts by merrydish Add merrydish to Your Contacts

Merrydish...when you called paypal did they say they are going to implement this?

I sent AMEX an email and asked that they show me in writing where in the user agreement terms, that it states there is a restriction on Paypal transaction. If I get something, I'll scan it and post it here.

Merrydish...when you called paypal did they say they are going to implement this?

Both PAYPAL AND AMEX have assured me in telephone conversations today that there is NO POLICY to limit how much you can use Paypal and then pay with AMEX. I had called them when paid my bill in full as uaual by telephone.

But...this is now a different world girls!!!!! Credit card companies are clamping down.

If you have issues with your account ...and only you know that...then get on the phone immediately and call both Paypal and AMEX to see if you are affected....BUT be really nice in your conversation. Once again, here is the AMEX #1-800-472-9297. Go into Paypal to get their telephone number. They sent me a private one so frankly I cannot post that publicly...BUT ....any of their numbers will work.

While I don't post often I really love this board and all the ladies on it. This issue is of great importance to me so that's why I'm posting.

Hey, Gucci Girl....you have my private number so if you have concerns give me a buzz.

Both PAYPAL AND AMEX have assured me in telephone conversations today that there is NO POLICY to limit how much you can use Paypal and then pay with AMEX. I had called them when paid my bill in full as uaual by telephone.

^^^Which cards? The Gold "Charge Card" or the Blue "Credit Card"...