AMEX Card Users: WARNING re: Paypal Payments

Prada Psycho

Authenticator
O.G.
Jul 21, 2006
The latest is stupidity has struck. I tried to make a payment on Paypal using my AMEX card for payment. I always use my AMEX because I know they'll back me up it I have problems.

Today I tried to make a payment using my AMEX card and it was REFUSED by AMEX!

I have been on the phone with AMEX for 30 minutes and counting and was told THEY have instituted a 30 rule on Paypal:

You are ONLY allowed ONE Paypal charge with your AMEX card in a 30 day period.

If you try to make a second purchase via Paypal in less than 30 days and use your AMEX card, the payment WILL BE DENIED!!!

It's an AMEX rule because they say they've had problems with Paypal (chargebacks is my guess), so heads up people.

I'm so pissed. :mad:

Of course if you shop on eBay at all, with all THEIR new rules, you can only use Paypal, so unless you want to use your Paypal balance or another credit card, you're screwed.

Without Amex....I wouldn't shop on Ebay , because Paypal sucks!

There is another reason ASKS us stop shopping at Ebay.

No shyte!!! I have other credit cards, but they don't take care of you like AMEX when you have a problem.

I finally got off the phone with a second nasty supervisor (and *I* pay these people $150 A YEAR for this kind of treatment??). I got so ticked off that I finally just hung up on her, not exactly my style, but I was furious!! Her exact words were that "AMEX considers Paypal a "security risk" so they limit the number of charges to one a month.

First they force us to go through all sorts of hoops to sell on EvilBay, now this. I'm done with EvilBay and PayFOE.

I am so done with paypal, I'm not buying much anyway. I haven't had problems yet but because of what I read on here, not taking a chance.

I have enough stuff going on in my life, don't need the headaches.

Anyone else notice when you do try to buy stuff from Amazon or whatever, Paypal always tries to interfer in your sale. Sticking its popups, "we've noticed you have a paypal account blah blah." I'm using an email address that isn't even connected to paypal, guess its the cookies.

Wow, that's interesting. I always use Amex too. Luckily, I don't buy much off ebay. But, I'm not surprised either.

It's not strictly EvilBay purchases. It's ANYTHING you want to buy and use PayFOE for with AMEX as your funding source.

Say if you buy something from a friend (or some online site that takes PP) and want to use Paypal and fund the purchase with AMEX. If you've already made a PP purchase funded with your AMEX in the past 30 days, it won't go through.

A good example is Drugstore.com or Beauty.com. They started accepted Paypal payments a while back. If you bought something from them and funded it with AMEX, then tried to make another purchase with PP and try to use your AMEX as the funding source, it will be declined.

Last edited:
I'm paying my AMEX bill today and will ask the rep about this when I call. If there is a limit I certainly won't be buying much online since I rely on AMEX for their protection. Rats!!!

You are ONLY allowed ONE Paypal charge with your AMEX card in a 30 day period.

If you try to make a second purchase via Paypal in less than 30 days and use your AMEX card, the payment WILL BE DENIED!!!

It's an AMEX rule because they say they've had problems with Paypal (chargebacks is my guess), so heads up people.

I'm so pissed. :mad:

Of course if you shop on eBay at all, with all THEIR new rules, you can only use Paypal, so unless you want to use your Paypal balance or another credit card, you're screwed.

I'm not surprised at this rule. Are you? Is anyone here surprised given the constant deluge of PayFoe claims and chargebacks mostly stemming from fBay transactions?

Without Amex....I wouldn't shop on Ebay , because Paypal sucks! There is another reason ASKS us stop shopping at Ebay.

ITA.

...I finally got off the phone with a second nasty supervisor (and *I* pay these people $150 A YEAR for this kind of treatment??). I got so ticked off that I finally just hung up on her, not exactly my style, but I was furious!! Her exact words were that "AMEX considers Paypal a "security risk" so they limit the number of charges to one a month.

Given my experience with Amex, I have to comment on this to put things under perspective. I don't know what you mean by "this kind of treatment," but what's "nasty" about saying they consider PayFoe a security risk? :shrugs: Taking it out on the CS rep because she can't tell you what you want to hear and hanging up on her because you're furious about a policy that actually makes sense for Amex doesn't solve anything and raises your and her blood pressure. I would take it easy on Amex. Can you blame them? Maybe you do, my friend, but I don't--and I have never paid via PayFoe with anything but my Amex cc, so this policy directly affects me. If this was your company or my company, we probably would consider it a security risk as well and would be as fed up with PF as they are. That one-PF-transaction-per-month rule might end up as a no-PF-transaction...ever. I can see it coming... :Push:

I've never had a problem with pay-pal and never needed a reason to use my Amex. I've found that if you follow the rules that pay-pal has set forth they will back you up. Maybe I am just lucky (and no I don't work for e-bay or pay-pal).. It's just the majority of people who are getting screwed on e-bay are ones that are not buying safely IMO.

PayPal is a security risk. There's a lot of phishing with PayPal, frauds and charge-backs. If AmEx wasn't making any money to balance out the costs of having good customer service deal with those issues, then I think they are within their rights to back out of PayPal transactions.

AmEx also (for certain cards) will lower your available credit if you shop with "security risk" vendors, like WalMart. No joke, my dad saw it on the news and called me at work to tell me (I think I won't be impacted because my card has no limit and I only use my Amex for fashion purchases, so no WalMart). I don't agree with this line of thinking that if XYZ customers are credit risks and they shop at ABC store, then if YOU shop at ABC store you might be having financial problems and you can BECOME a credit risk.

I'm not surprised at this rule. Are you? Is anyone here surprised given the constant deluge of PayFoe claims and chargebacks mostly stemming from fBay transactions?

ITA.

Given my experience with Amex, I have to comment on this to put things under perspective. I don't know what you mean by "this kind of treatment," but what's "nasty" about saying they consider PayFoe a security risk? :shrugs: Taking it out on the CS rep because she can't tell you what you want to hear and hanging up on her because you're furious about a policy that actually makes sense for Amex doesn't solve anything and raises your and her blood pressure. I would take it easy on Amex. Can you blame them? Maybe you do, my friend, but I don't--and I have never paid via PayFoe with anything but my Amex cc, so this policy directly affects me. If this was your company or my company, we probably would consider it a security risk as well and would be as fed up with PF as they are. That one-PF-transaction-per-month rule might end up as a no-PF-transaction...ever. I can see it coming... :Push:

I agree.. I don't blame Amex at all. I bet they lose tons of money with all the scammers on e-bay who know how to abuse the system.