Americans and personal space

I just moved back to the States from Germany and yes I believe its a cultural thing. When I first moved there, I was also appalled and felt violated by the closeness with which people got "all in my business"! Hehe. I would do the whole dirty look over my shoulder, my eyes screaming "BACK OFF". Lol! Nobody ever backed up and they would just end up cutting in front of me (in/out of the subway, in the grocery line, at the butcher, everywhere).

After a while, i realized it wasn't bc of rudeness, its just the way they are. In fact i got so used to "how its done", it didnt bother me anymore and found myself doing the same! It was like "well if you're not gonna move forward, then I will!"

Its been a little bit of an adjustment moving back and seeing lots of space in front of the person I'm behind is still a lil annoying.

I wonder if it's a cultural thing because we literally HAVE more space in the US. our driving lanes are wider, our cars our bigger, our houses & closets & kitchens are bigger, etc.

it is american thing. take subway as an example, in other cities especially in asia, during rush hours, you would not see any space left in the car but only in NYC, you see ppl crowded at the door area and the middle part is still kind of empty. and you can't squeeze your way in bc ppl would yell "don't push me"....

The lack of personal space in Asia is insane.

I was visiting the Disneyland in Hong Kong and it was the end of day parade.. the BF and I had gathered early so we were right at the front by the ropes. At one point I was standing with one hand on my hip and when I looked down, someone had stuck their arm through the little triangle my arm/hip made and was taking photos.

I like a couple of foot or so in between me and a person, even my husband unless we are hugging or something. I don't see the need to practically stand on someone. It needs to be close enough to chat without raising a voice but not close enough so we can see every outline of each others faces. I am English but we are known for being a bit stuffy ;)

The lack of personal space in Asia is insane.

I was visiting the Disneyland in Hong Kong and it was the end of day parade.. the BF and I had gathered early so we were right at the front by the ropes. At one point I was standing with one hand on my hip and when I looked down, someone had stuck their arm through the little triangle my arm/hip made and was taking photos.

:roflmfao:

I was at the pharmacy waiting to drop off a prescription yesterday. The pharmacist was on the phone, so I stood back about 12 inches to give her some privacy. Some guy tried to push his cart in front of me! When I looked at him, he yelled that I was standing too far away. Ugh. I can't stand people crowding me.

Yes, it's a North American thing, so both Americans and Canadians. If you think Europe is bad, try Asia! Asian countries are heavily populated, so it's practically impossible to have the same kind of personal space in public places. If you're not in that empty spot, someone else will be.

Not all of Canada. Whenever I'm in TO, I literally have people physically pushing past me and even when a store is packed, more people will still go in and literally sometimes standing on your feet. I even had someone used his hands to push me forward on my back and the line wasn't even moving. My town isn't that large but lack of personal space is bad. At the grocery store, there's a blue line that people are suppose line up behind but nope, they stand right there shoulder to shoulder as I'm at the register. I'm thinking can't you see the blue line that reads stand behind this line. I don't want you to see my pin number. Or at the checkout counter when my stuff is being checked, someone almost always plop their stuff right on top of my stuff. Seriously back off because now the cash register person is asking what belongs to who.

Not all of Canada. Whenever I'm in TO, I literally have people physically pushing past me and even when a store is packed, more people will still go in and literally sometimes standing on your feet. I even had someone used his hands to push me forward on my back and the line wasn't even moving. My town isn't that large but lack of personal space is bad. At the grocery store, there's a blue line that people are suppose line up behind but nope, they stand right there shoulder to shoulder as I'm at the register. I'm thinking can't you see the blue line that reads stand behind this line. I don't want you to see my pin number. Or at the checkout counter when my stuff is being checked, someone almost always plop their stuff right on top of my stuff. Seriously back off because now the cash register person is asking what belongs to who.
Keep in mind that Canada is full of different cultures so as much as we'd like to think we're North American we're living with people that come from Europe, Asia, etc that are used to being squished like sardines. I'm not a fan of having someone breathe down my neck, but usually an elbow jab pushes them away. :lol:

^That's true anywhere though. I'm in TX but I'm certainly not surrounded by Texans. I hate when people stand so close they can smell my fragrance and read my texts!

Speaking as an european from northern countries, I assure that the concept of personal space is well known here... We use Americans as an example of people from a country with a small personal space ;)

The Finnish are notorious for really living up this consept, you can be sure no-one sits next to you in a bus/cafeteria/same park bench unless it's someone you know (and if you don't know them, level of uncomfortableness goes up 100%). Then again, we have plenty of space....

Yes, it's a North American thing, so both Americans and Canadians. If you think Europe is bad, try Asia! Asian countries are heavily populated, so it's practically impossible to have the same kind of personal space in public places. If you're not in that empty spot, someone else will be.

As an Asian I totally agree..but after living in the US nearly 20 years, I become particular about personal space too:smile:..I think it is an American thing..

There is one yoga class that was full, so we had to move closer to each other so others can join , but this lady next to me gave this exasperated, and refuse to budge ..I thought to myself, no..not here in Yoga..no such thing as personal space..everybody has the right to practice..:nogood: