American Gangster

I wanted to like this movie much more than I did since I've been a big Denzel Washington fan for over twenty years now. But I thought that the movie should have been more about Frank Lucas and his family and less about Crowe's character. To me, that just sidetracked the movie, and I couldn't muster up enough interest in that subplot. I think that aside from that, the movie was good, although I found some of it hard to believe, like the fact that Frank Lucas was able to walk up to people, in broad daylight, in front of witnesses, and not only shoot them but get away with it. I do think that Ruby Dee was excellent in the very limited material she was given. And I usually can't stand Cuba Gooding Jr. but even he was entertaining in the film. But overall, I think it was a good movie.

And I also think that all the interviews and documentary type footage that I've seen and read regarding Lucas/Barnes/etc. is also highly interesting.

Oh, and I'll add that Jay-Z's album of the same name was one of my favorite releases last year. I still listen to tracks from it almost every day.