Food American Cookies - Need help! :-)

Kittie LaRoche

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
O.G.
Aug 24, 2006
Could any of you lovely ladies and gents help me out with a recipe for typical American Cookies? :shame:

I'm talking about that big, soft kind you can get a Albertson's for like 33cents a piece (Chocolate Chip, Double Chocolate, etc) Somehow they are different from our German Cookies and soooo addictive :P How do you get them to be so soft? :confused1:

Any help would be greatly appreciate! Thanks in advance! :flowers:

The commercial ones use some sort of soft baked technology, I think.

The easiest way to make soft cookies at home is to start with a box of cake mix, add just a little less water than the directions say, throw in whatever chips or nuts or other stuff you want, grease a cookie sheet and use an ice cream scoop to put dollops of batter about 2 and a half or 3 inches apart, bake more or less according to instructions, when the smell gets really strong, stick a toothpick in one, and if it comes out clean, take them out and let them cool.

Hi there, thanks for the tip.

What type of cake mix are you talking about? :confused1: I think the problem is that we don't have the same mixes here in Germany. I've seen the ready-to-bake cookie mixes at the supermarket when I was in Vegas last month (and kick myself for not getting any), but they don't have them here.

Does anybody have a recipe how to make cookies from scratch?

Make some Tollhouse Chocolate Chip cookies. Buy a bag of Tollhouse chocolate chips and the recipe is on the back.

Actually, I found the recipe on the net for you:

The real, the original, the authentic Nestle Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

1 cup (2 sticks, 1/2 pound) butter, softened

3/4 cup granulated [white] sugar

3/4 cup packed brown sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 eggs

2 cups (12-ounce package) NESTLE TOLL HOUSE Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels

1 cup chopped nuts

COMBINE flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla in large mixer bowl. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition; gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in morsels and nuts. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets.

BAKE in preheated 375-degree [Fahrenheit] oven for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.

PAN COOKIE VARIATION: PREPARE dough as above. Spread into greased 15"x10" jelly-roll pan. Bake in preheated 375-degree [Fahrenheit] oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan on wire rack.

FOR HIGH ALTITUDE BAKING (>5,200 feet): INCREASE flour to 2 1/2 cups; add 2 teaspoonfuls water with flour; reduce both granulated sugar and brown sugar to 2/3 cup each. Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit, drop cookies for 8 to 10 minutes and pan cookies for 17 to 19 minutes.

Make sure to store any uneaten cookies in a sealed plastic bag (or, Tupperware)-that will help keep them soft-enjoy!

Oh-I just noticed you are in Germany-not sure if they sell Nestle Tollhouse chocolate chips there. No matter-just substitute any brand chocolate chip-it's the recipe that is yummy!

Thanks a bunch :flowers:

Actually I'm not if we have Tollhouse chips, but we do have Nestle, so I guess even if they are not called like that, there will be something like it :yes:

If I have the time, I'll try that recipe tomorrow or friday :graucho: Yummy,Yummy!

I'm not much of a cook or a baker and I have no idea how to make a soft cookie, but I agree with Nishi621 that the Toll House recipe is the very best chocolate chip recipe!

Here is a 'perfect' chocolate chip cookie recipe, I got it out of a chocolate magazine. I made it once, they were pretty good!

2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup (2 sticks) softened butter
1 cup brown sugar (firmly packed)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
24 ounces chunk chocolate

Preheat oven to 350. In a medium bowl, combine flour, salt and baking
soda; set aside.

Cream butter with handheld mixer (or stand mixer) on medium speed
until fluffy. Add dark brown sugar and mix on medium until blended
(scrape sides of bowl if necessary). On low speed, at eggs one at a
time, mixing thoroughly after each egg. Add vanilla extract and mix on
low until combined.

Add flour mixture and mix until just combined. Add chocolate chunks
and fold in with spatula. Refrigerate for one hour.

To bake, drop heaping teaspoons onto a greased sheet pan and bake
12-14 minutes, rotating the pan once at the 7 minute mark. Cool
slightly before removing from the pan.

The above recipes should be great. The most important thing is not to overbake them.

Another thing since you are in Germany I don't know how you measure ingredients. In the USA they use cups. I don't know if you need the measurements to be converted into grams or ounces.

Happy baking!

I vary my choco chip cookie recipe slightly every time I make them, but I find that the key to making them really soft is two things:
1) mix mix mix. YOu can't over mix. I have a kitchen aid mixer, it's a workhorse, and I just let it blend forever. I think it pumps air into the batter or something.
2) make the batter balls big, and underbake them slightly. I'm talking barely baked in the middle. Keeps them gooey.

Okay - now I'm craving c-c cookies. argh!

What type of cake mix are you talking about?..I've seen the ready-to-bake cookie mixes...

I mean cake mix, not cookie mix, The most famous brands, which I bet you can get anywhere, are Betty Crocker and Duncan Hines. Pillsbury also makes a whole line of them.

If they are not at your market, check one frequented by American ex-pats. It is just a mix to which you add water and an egg.

Or you could do twinkle.tink's oatmeal thing, which I had not heard about but now I am intrigued and want to try it!

If you do decide to do the cake mix, and you want to do something fancier, also get a jar of marshmallow creme, or use your preferred cake frosting, spread the flat side of one of your cookies, and put another one on top to make a sandwich! My favorite are chocolate cake with marshmallow creme, but if you are doing white or yellow cake mix cookies, since you are in Europe where preserves and jam are considered Art first and condiments second, I would take advantage of that fine cultural item and put black currant jam in between 2 spice-flavored ones!

This conversation is not a good one for a diabetic to take part in. Just typing the words "black currant jam" has elevated my blood sugar. I will have to go take more pills.

Ladies, thanks so much for all your input :flowers:

So far I haven't found the time, to make some cookies (but had one at Subways during lunch break :shame:smile:

I hope when the holidays are over, I'm finally gonna try it. I'll let you know how it worked out :yes:

btw: about the measurements: here in germany we use grams, kilo, etc, but I have one of those measure cups that have "cups" as an scale on them as well, so no conversion problem

OH, one more thing?! What is "chunk chocolate"? I tried to translate that but without luck (unless it's just a chunk of chocolate :P ). Is it a special kind? I know that we have some kind of chocolate in the baking section of the supermarket which melts easily and evenly, is that maybe chunk chocolate? :confused1: