Am I too poor for Hèrmes?

What others do with their money is no business of mine however as long as one is not going into debt for Hermes I think they are a-ok. This of course goes for any luxury items. Of course its not a bad idea to make sure to also contribute to savings ect along side with purchasing luxury items.

My grandmother taught me never spend more than what is in your pocket.

It’s not really the same thing. A car is a necessity for many as that’s how they get themselves to work, their kids to school, etc.

I was actually thinking the same thing. Comparing buying a expensive necessity to buying a expensive luxury item? That doesn't quite work.

Last edited:
A car may be a necessity for some but not for others.
And there are many people who have a car and could arguably live without one if they put their mind to it. There are lots of personal choices involved in how far you live from work or which school you send the kids to.
I personally haven’t had a car for so long, that I don’t even remember why I ever thought it was something one had to have...

Plus so many people have good cars, expensive cars, luxury cars... and then they’d look at an expensive handbag as a crazy purchase. That even though the bag does not add costs for petrol, repairs, insurance, a parking space, taxes or maintainance, does not depreciate at the speed of light and is much less damaging to the environment to boot.

And there are many people who have a car and could arguably live without one if they put their mind to it. There are lots of personal choices involved in how far you live from work or which school you send the kids to.
I personally haven’t had a car for so long, that I don’t even remember why I ever thought it was something one had to have...

Plus so many people have good cars, expensive cars, luxury cars... and then they’d look at an expensive handbag as a crazy purchase. That even though the bag does not add costs for petrol, repairs, insurance, a parking space, taxes or maintainance, does not depreciate at the speed of light and is much less damaging to the environment to boot.

True but it was a bit of a blanket statement that was made like oh well if you can buy a car you can buy a Birkin!

You explained it better so thank you.

People who buy cars when not needed or buy super expensive cars that is an entire different situation. I have a friend who is a major car collector and he would think I was crazy to spend as much as I do on bags yet its not even a fraction of what he spends on his precious cars lol.

Last edited:
True but it was a bit of a blanket statement that was made like oh well if you can buy a car you can buy a Birkin!

You explained it better so thank you.

People who buy cars when not needed or buy super expensive cars that is an entire different situation. I have a friend who is a major car collector and he would think I was crazy to spend as much as I do on bags yet its not even a fraction of what he spends on his precious cars lol.

Yes that is my point precisely. I also feel there is a gender element, and that spending on bags and clothes has always been more questionable because viewed as a women, aka frivolous, thing (of course that is very much changing).
So buying cars is about a life’s necessity, buying old wines is an investment, buying an expensive TV or sound system or changing pc every year is smart, and spending all the money you earn, perhaps in a low income job, in football tickets and following your soccer team around is perfectly reasonable and means you are a devoted fan. But buying one Birkin bag? You have to be properly rich for that and not know what to do with your money.

To me, if you have enough money for a Birkin bag, you have enough money for a Birkin bag and it is your business if you spend it on that instead of on a car, home improvements, a new kitchen, or a trip...

I was actually thinking the same thing. Comparing buying a expensive necessity to buying a expensive luxury item? That doesn't quite work.

*H bigwigs sneaking in Purseforum get their heads together to design an e-car in R Hermès and Vert Anis colourblock that smells like "24, Faubourg" and is outfitted in Barenia-covered seats* (Hey, one can dream, right?)

Also, a preloved Trim II 31 in mint condition goes for about 700 Euros these days ;)

*H bigwigs sneaking in Purseforum get their heads together to design an e-car in R Hermès and Vert Anis colourblock that smells like "24, Faubourg" and is outfitted in Barenia-covered seats* (Hey, one can dream, right?)

Also, a preloved Trim II 31 in mint condition goes for about 700 Euros these days ;)
I believe Hermes does outfit cars from time to time ;)

*signs up to the waiting list for the car, but immediately makes noises about wanting to SO Bleu Encre/Chèvre (also on waitlist for Godzilla-sized GMO goats)/Osmanthe Yunnan combo*
I always wonder if they’d actually accept a Horizon request on any type of car :amuse:

• Haha
Reactions: Pimpernel
I tend to agree about the gender element, as I think many women feel guilty spending a great deal of money on a handbag (even when its money they earn themselves) Where as men dont feel that guilt when buying themselves expensive watches or Hi fi.
My DH is VERY into hifi and synthesisers (he has an MSC in audio and just as I obsess over Hermes on this forum he has the equivalent forums for hi-fi and keyboards)-He buys Synthesisers and speakers that cost as much and more than a Birkin.
The needle for his record player costs the same as a Hermes watch and as long as he has the savings he doesn't fret or worry about these big purchases just buys them and enjoys them (he also likes watches but less so..)
However before I spend 1000's on a bag despite it being my money, and the fact I'm not getting myself in debt for it I agonise a bit and even feel a tinge of guilt about spending 'that much' on a non essential item.
I annoy myself that I cant be more 'bloke' in my attitude to buying high value items!

Well, for example my husband buys only new cars then is bored after 1.5 years and the cycle starts. Also: he has to have everything inside, every possible extra (so used 1 year old cars are not an option). And he thinks me buying handbags is crazy.

And love love love what you said about the gender element. So agree with you.
I'm the only one who knows how to live my life, there will be no regrets ever :biggrin:

Totally agree! I live within walking distance of my work. Kids grown up and left home. A car would spend 99% of the time gathering dust whilst costing me tax, insurance etc. My husbands car depreciated more than the price of a Birkin in the last 12 months. I know which I’d prefer to spend my money on!

I think you mean are you too poor to be a Hermes direct customer..... I completely understand the sentiment.... Hermes items are very pricy...... I buy many item on the pre-owned market. How many Birkins do you really need? I think you probably need only a few..... a friend who is worth over US$10m has 4. I am under US$1m and have 2. I don't think there is any rule..... but I would say 1 Birkin for every 1-3 million US$

HAHAHA I so love that you conceptualized a net worth - birkin quantity ratio! You had me laughing like a crazy person.

In all seriousness though, I don’t think your net worth matters when it comes to luxury. I know someone who’s practically living paycheck to paycheck, doesn’t own their own home only living on rent, but owns 5 birkins and 5 Kelly’s, several of them exotic with a ton of other designer handbags and clothes. I never understood it but whatever floats their boat. I also know someone who’s worth 20 billion USD but doesn’t own anything from Hermès, not even a piece. Point is, it all boils down to one’s priorities, values, and tastes. Also, what luxury is to each person will always be different.

So, I’d say “x amount of happiness and love: x amount of birkins in your closet” is the ratio of Hermès life.