Am I too picky? What would you do? Maybe I'm crazy?

BaltimoreJenny

BaltimoreJenny
O.G.
Jul 1, 2006
So two weeks ago I finally got my Tivoli GM and LOVE her. It's been rainy here over the past two weeks on the east coast, but yesterday was gorgeous. I finally decided it was time to take her out. However, as I was loading her up, in the sunlight I noticed a scratch in the vachetta that lines around the zipper. I can't believe I didn't see it in the store (it's very minor). I repackaged her and ran over to my LV store to have them look at it before I committed to using the bag (plus I'm still within the 30 days to exchange).

Long story short.....they looked at the bag and weren't jazzed to exchange (the SA I bought it from is also my neighbor, but she wasn't working yesterday). After putting their fingers all over the bag, the one SA took it in the back and said she'd try to "erase" it. I couldn't stop her...off she went. I thought I was going to faint. Obviously the scratch didn't come out because it's a scratch! So I went home with the bag and noticed in the process of all this, there were some minor marks on the vachetta because they were grabbing all over it.

The SA I worked with is working tomorrow and she told me to come in....she'd do an exchange. But Oh God, the humiliation and shame - I just don't want to go back again and be deemed the "crazy neurotic lady".

Should I just ignore the scratch and suck it up and use her? She's just going to get dirty anyway at some point. Marks will happen and blend in as she patinas...BUT scratches are there to stay. I literally lost sleep over this last night.

Why do I feel so embarrassed to show my face in there again? I shouldn't feel like a lunatic wanting perfection when I spend over $1400 (with tax) on a bag. My bags are an investment and I take excellent care of them.

Sorry for the long-winded story. Any advice would be great. :biggrin:

I think that you are justified in feeling the way that you do! I would have been mortified to see that! Take it back. Don't worry about what "they" think. You spent a great deal of money on that bag and it should meet your expectations.

bring the bag back its just a salesperson she is not the one who spent 1400$ so do it no remors in addition who cares about her you're a client and the client is THE KING..is she doesn't like then that's her own problem ....I know exactly how you feel !!

Ugh, I really hate that a lot of SAs are going into "erase" mode so often. I cannot even tell you how many displays I have seen that have the eraser rubbing all over the vachetta. You can't erase a scratch, I would think it would enhance it even more or make it worse.

You should take the bag in when your regular SA is working and make sure she has a fresh one on hold for you so you can make the switch and get it over with.

I would go there and pretend like yesterday never happen...

go in and say... i want to exchange it for a newer one since this one apparently has some scartches i never noticed the day i bought it... you dont need to tell them about what happened yesterday unless they ask about all the vachetta markings...

If it is bothering you and you are not happy then bring it back. When you are spending that much money on a bag you should have perfection. Do not feel embarassed to go back to the store. Im pretty sure you are not the ony person who has had a problem like this before. Good luck tomorrow.

just act nonchalantly and ask for your SA. i understand you'd feel embarrassed so if you want you can go with a friend as reinforcement! i would change it of course.

Thank you for the courage, everyone. You're right....I'm the customer and what I want should be catered to. I will hold my head up. That really disturbs me that the eraser thing has become common place. When she argued with me to take it back to erase it (again, a scratch cannot be erased), I knew exactly how it would look......the sheen on the vachetta is dull.

Also, the SAs should be handling the bags with better care. The guy that took the bag from me was rubbing his big hands/fingers all over the leather. Shouldn't you be holding it by the vinyl when it's brand new?

I don't know, maybe I'm too picky.

I always find it easier to fight for others. I guess its a typical trait for women - we can be lionesses for the people we care about, but when it comes down to fighting for ourselves, we can be like little girls.

Pretend your doing it for your best friend. That you are helping HER get her moneys worth. Might get your courage up!

I always find it easier to fight for others. I guess its a typical trait for women - we can be lionesses for the people we care about, but when it comes down to fighting for ourselves, we can be like little girls.

Pretend your doing it for your best friend. That you are helping HER get her moneys worth. Might get your courage up!

Ahhh, great point. I just shouldn't even be feeling this way...scared of going back where I just dropped over a grand on a bag. I shouldn't have an SA telling me that there will be marks. I understand it's untreated leather, but a scratch is from a handling fault.

I guess I worry too because my SA is my neighbor and I adore her. I don't want her to think I'm some neurotic, demanding mess. :nuts: