Am I too old for the Lanvin Happy?

swezfamily

O.G.
Dec 18, 2008
I'm looking for an alternative to the M/L Chanel classic flap. I looked at one about 9 months ago and the price was $2800 USD, but unfortunately I didn't buy it and decided to think on it. So, I went to my local boutique last week to look at the same bag and the price is now $3500 and my SA says there is going to be another price increase soon. I've heard that as the price goes up, the quality is going down, so now I'm not sure about getting it and I've started researching other possibilities.

The Lanvin Happy is so cute, but do you think the ribbon on the chain makes this bag too youthful for a 40 year old?

And a question for those of you that own a Lanvin bag with the ribbon/chain - does the ribbon start to fray or come untied over time? I looked at one on Barney's website and it looked like there were some strings hanging off one end of the ribbon.

Here's a picture, but I'm interested in this bag in black

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Lanvin happy.jpg
    Lanvin happy.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 1,907
noooo this bag is so elegant! I think that the ribbon does make it more girly but as long as you're not wearing super super feminine clothing with it, it should be fine. The leather is just divine.

Lanvin, hands down. Especially love the ribbon! Perfectly acceptable to wear for any age.

My co-worker actually removed the ribbon on hers, the chain is the same on both sides. Gorgeous bag!

Last edited:
I believe OP is referring to the price of the Chanel. The Happy is not $3,500.

OP, I love this bag and I think anyone can wear it.

Yes, sorry I didn't make that clear. The $3500 bag is the Chanel, up from $2800 9 months ago. That's just ridiculous!

anitos - I think I'm attracted to this bag because it does look so much like the reissue, but at a fraction of the cost. The Happy is only $1700 and I've heard that Lanvin bags are very well made. Thanks for your input!

hannahsophia, afancybaglady, and KittyKat65 - Thank you everyone for your opinions. I was hoping to hear what you all wrote.

Anybody have experience with the ribbon falling apart?

I LOVE this bag! I have been lusting after Lanvin for about 2 years now, unfortunately i have never gotten around to purchasing one of their bags as something else always came up and i went a bit Chanel mad a while ago, haha

Anyways- i think the bag is perfectly lovely for a lady of your age, they are classy and classic bags and will never date but i DO think the Happy looks better WITH the ribbon on the side, it is one of the ways it differientiates itself from Chanel :biggrin:

I hope the Happy bag isn't too young for a 40-something woman -- that's the bag I plan on buying next and I'm in my mid-40s!! I have fallen head over heels in love with the Happy Bag! I tried it on in the store and to be honest, the ribbon wasn't even that obvious. There's also a quilted version, which I think could be perceived as a little more "mature" than the soft leather version.

attachment.php

Attachments

• happy.jpg
    happy.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 3,557
LOVE the bag. No, you're not too old for it. However, I am in the minority that doesn't care for the bow. I would be very tempted to get it for myself, IF the bow comes off. But then, I don't do scarves on my bags, and I would also be afraid of the bow fraying. But the bag - gorgeous!

I don't know whether the ribbons will fray or not in the long run but you're definitely NOT too old for the bag...

I think this bag is a classic and even ladies in their 60s can still pull this off! I love this bag so much... I've been thinking about getting this or Amalia for myself for sometime. I was even thinking that if I buy this bag I could actually lend this to my aunty who's 58 or my mum who's 59... so there you go :smile: some bags are just great no matter what age you are... and this is one of those bags...