Am I too MATERIALISTIC ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmptrading

Apr 17, 2008
Hello All,
I think I have made my current wife a Barbie doll...... showering her with baubles and stuff....

I have built 4 collections for her.......

1) Diamonds and Jewellery - Retails for $70,000-
2) Luxury Watches - Rolex President, 2 x Cartier 18K, AP, B&M 18K, Omega constellation - Retails for $75,000-
3) Louis Vuitton - Over 20 LV items - Retails for over $20,000-
4) Wiriting instruments - Cartier, Mont Blanc, Dupont - Retails for $4,000-

I am afraid I have become too materialistic.....

I have been a WHEELER DEALER .... buying and selling items to grow a large collection for her (us)..... hence the huge number of items.....

Not really sure if this is good for the soul.....
Should I be helping people in a 3rd world country..... Am I morally bankrupt?

“I never worry about diets. The only carrots that interest me are the number of carats in a diamond.”

Attachments

• diab3.JPG
    diab3.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 383
  • ap1.JPG
    ap1.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 346
  • bm1.JPG
    bm1.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 314
  • vlc1.JPG
    vlc1.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 341
  • IMG_6034 Paul Pluta Val 7742.jpg
    IMG_6034 Paul Pluta Val 7742.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 348
I think a lot of people who possess a lot of material goods like jewelry, handbags, clothes, shoes, etc face this moral dilemma from time to time.
We wonder what the point is of having all this "stuff" when there are plenty of people happy without it.....
You sound like you are very blessed financially, so maybe donating to a charity would help to make you feel more balanced, but of course charity is a very personal decision.
Best of luck with your soul searching :0)

By the way, the jewelry lover in me is dying to see your collection! lol

Perhaps the mere fact that you ask the question indicates an issue. If you were looking to fulfill something with said purchases and still do not feel fulfilled, then I think you need to look for some deeper meaning for your life and your money.

If, on the other hand, you feel good about your life and your purchases then there is no shame in having luxury in your life. But, again, that begs the question of why you would have asked in the first place...

Reactions: cap4life
Just remember, there will always be someone who has more than you...and someone who has less.

If you like spending money on yourselves, that is fine. If you are comfortable with your bills and whatnot, and obviously are feeling a bit guilty about spending only on yourself, research chartiable foundations, and start donating! Not only is it a tax write off, but it will make you feel good.

And you can always volunteer your time, which can be priceless :smile:

well, to be honest, the fact that you're listing the prices of everything you've bought her does kind of make me think you give a lot of importance to material posessions and how much money you've spent on your wife.

i'm not saying throw it all out the window and start living like a monk, but there is a happy middle.

Yes I think you are. Not because you buy all those items, nothing wrong with but because you feel the need of underlining how expensive they are and flaunting them the way you do.

quote from another thread

"Hello,
A a very rich guy who has unlimited funds I think I am best to answer this....."

Its simply tacky.

Perhaps the mere fact that you ask the question indicates an issue. If you were looking to fulfill something with said purchases and still do not feel fulfilled, then I think you need to look for some deeper meaning for your life and your money.

If, on the other hand, you feel good about your life and your purchases then there is no shame in having luxury in your life. But, again, that begs the question of why you would have asked in the first place...

I agree with this....

Think about why you are buying these items. (Also think about why you are posting the prices of them.)

There are always going to be those less fortunate, but that does not mean you should feel guilty about enjoying luxury goods.

Yes I think you are. Not because you buy all those items, nothing wrong with but because you feel the need of underlining how expensive they are and flaunting them the way you do.

"Hello,
A a very rich guy who has unlimited funds I think I am best to answer this....."

Its simply tacky.

Actually, for a rich guy with unlimited funds, this collection is pretty modest.

well, to be honest, the fact that you're listing the prices of everything you've bought her does kind of make me think you give a lot of importance to material posessions and how much money you've spent on your wife.

i'm not saying throw it all out the window and start living like a monk, but there is a happy middle.

"Hello,

Its simply tacky.

I have to agree w/ both of these posts. The need to say how much they cost in a public place really makes me think this is so.

I have to agree w/ both of these posts. The need to say how much they cost in a public place really makes me think this is so.
He has not just posted things like this here at tPF, he has done the same on others...
And I agree, the fact that you flaunt it and make the comments that you do lead me to believe that you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.