Am I the only one.....

PinkSuadeSoho

Princess Grace Ave
O.G.
Jul 17, 2006
Who thinks that eBay live chat should not be able to ask you for your name, home address, phone number and email address? I find this an invasion of privacy. Many times the reps live in the same city as you. These people could be anyone. IMO they should not HAVE ACCESS TO ALL OF THIS! If you ask any one of them where their location is, they will say for security reasons, they will not disclose that. However, we have to disclose all of our info to them. Please tell me that there is something wrong here? Let's say you have thousands of dollars worth of merchandise sitting in your home. You are a powerseller on eBay. You get a crook who is manning the live chat and writes down your information, and lives nearby. It isn't like something really bad can't happen. Someone please give me your feedback. I just have this huge issue with eBay and why can't they implement a password for each member when verifying your account!:cursing:

I have a lot of issues with ebay. Intrusive just doesn't get it IMO. Their billing is bizarre, and they need to beef up their security, as in go out and start all over. They allow way too many breeches in their security on many different levels. And for a company of it's size and scope, they should have a telephone number available for customer service where you get answers, not some boiler plate hoo hah. Don't even get me started! :cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing:

I just wish they would implement a system other than making us give away where we live, our home number, our email, our first born, yada yada yada.
They in turn don't have to answer as to where their location is. These are just entry level jobs getting an awful lot of personal info from many people. Isn't there some law against this????????????

Unfortunately Congress has legalized the practice of corporate intrusion in what once was forbidden territory. Our personal data is bought and sold on a daily basis. You know those annual privacy statement updates sent out by credit card companies? The legalese makes for dull reading but you'd be amazed to learn the expanded liberties they grant themselves in each mailing:sneaky:.

I don't know. They (ebay) seem to have their "own" set of rules, along with Paypal.
It would seem that by looking up your account and seeing that you've been selling on ebay for 7 plus years with the same account, you'd get some sort of pass without having to pee in a cup and or give them a mouth swab for dna practically. I get the same blankity blankity stuff too.
On a serious note, ebay and Paypal do seem to do things their own way, and I'm not sure how that is. I don't even know what, if any government entity regulates and oversees what they are doing. I have yet to find one, other than the BBB in California, or the Attorney General's office in Nebraska for Paypal stuff. It's puzzling that's for sure.

I don't know much about the privacy act in the States since I have been living out of the US for a while now. How very tragic that this is acceptable. This means that these people who could very well be criminal accessing all of this personal information. Someone needs to STOP THIS.

Unfortunately Congress has legalized the practice of corporate intrusion in what once was forbidden territory. Our personal data is bought and sold on a daily basis. You know those annual privacy statement updates sent out by credit card companies? The legalese makes for dull reading but you'd be amazed to learn the expanded liberties they grant themselves in each mailing:sneaky:.
Tell me about. I just got notice that State Farm is raising my car insurance again based on some new "personality and habits" report from some obscure data gathering company. Why did they raise my rates on my car insurance? My sunsign....honest to PETE! (My agent gave me the 411 on why on the downlow).
However, one thing I find reassuring, my "personality" report has got to be one dry read for whoever the bean counter was that got to read it. I can see it now...
"Spends entirely too much on designer handbags...rents BBC period dramas from Blockbuster on a regular basis, tends to pay water bill late..."
Welcome to America folks! Sheesh!

isn't the info that ebay asks for on live help just the same info you have on your account when you register? my email, address, phone etc are all a part of my account so they're just verifying it. it's not a random person on live help- it's an ebay employee....

isn't the info that ebay asks for on live help just the same info you have on your account when you register? my email, address, phone etc are all a part of my account so they're just verifying it. it's not a random person on live help- it's an ebay employee....

I didn't say it was a random person. I said it was an entry level position with very personal info being asked. If that person lives in your city, and they decide to rob you, what makes you think it can't happen? You can't possibly think that this scenario isn't possible. Ebay can come up with other ways of verifying your account. Yes, it is the same information as when you register, however I don't think I should be required to give out my home addy to an employee of eBay. Please tell me that you are putting complete trust in someone just because they work for eBay.

even if i gave them a password they would still look up my account and have access to that info. do you not buy on any internet sites for the same reason? if i bought something on amazon it's the same thing. or anything on the web. when you buy something it's all the same info that's required. what's the difference because it's ebay?

They don't HAVE to have all of your information! When they verify your account it could be email address and zip code. What makes you think that this couldn't be implemented. I am not ranting about other sites because I haven't encountered this intrusion, nor do all of the sites have their system set up this way. Some do, some don't!!!! I don't buy from Amazon, and I certainly don't shop where I feel uncomfortable.

but don't you see if they pull up your account it comes up anyway? it's part of your account.

if it makes you uncomfortable then don't buy on ebay. that's the way their system is set up. as you said different sites have different set ups.

i think it's annoying to have to repeat everything they already have in their system but then again i think the same thing when i call my bank and have to verify everything. sometimes i have to tell them or my cc my mom's maiden name or some code or password to get them to access my account. it's annoying but it's for my own protection.

Let's say you have thousands of dollars worth of merchandise sitting in your home. You are a powerseller on eBay. You get a crook who is manning the live chat and writes down your information, and lives nearby. It isn't like something really bad can't happen.

If that person lives in your city, and they decide to rob you, what makes you think it can't happen?

so you're not worried about being robbed? i guess i did miss your point. sorry. have a fantastic night!