Am I overreacting? sorry, long post.

OMG!! I am so sorry about your bad experience! I hope you find a more compassionate Dentist this time. I am deathly afraid of Dentist and let them know when I do go..I have one that does the shot and I seriously barely feel it, but I do have reactions to them, I shake really bad and usually end up crying as well. I don't like being called honey by someone who isn't my SO as well....sorry ((HUGS))

He sounds flippant and unprofessional.

Firstly he should have sat down with you at the beginning of the conultation and talked over the procedure with you before anything was started. A doctor should not perform any procedure on a patient without their consent -consent meaning you understand what the doctor's going to do and you agree to it - explanation and understanding involved, not just a signature. To perform a procedure on an uninformed patient is wrong, dangerous and it's also illegal.

I'd be concerned that he administered the local anaesthetic before he made sure that you were clear about the purpose of the operation. What if you thought he was going to do something completely different from the procedure he started? You could have been shocked, eg by the unexpected location of the injections.

He should have been sensitive of his conduct towards you- pacing about behind you and not giving brief explanations of what he was doing when needed, it's unsettling. Especially the verbal communication - it's common sense that not everyone appreciates being called "honey" (patronising), and to use terms like "numb you up" is a bit euphemistic for him to use when he has just seen you obviously in pain at his hands (the tearing).

It sounds like you had to wait about two-and-a-half hours and go through a few injections of local anaesthetic before you had to ask what was going on. That's pretty poor. The doctor should have known better and talked you through what was happening from the very beginning, starting with an apology for the long wait you'd had.

Sorry about the long reply; I just saw so many things wrong with your experience.