Am I overreacting? Please help.

coconut32

Jul 26, 2009
I just had some rubber soles and new heel taps (the extra pair that came with the shoes) put on my Simple Pumps. I think the cobbler did a pretty crappy job and I am devastated as they are my only CLs and the most expensive thing I own. He is apparently a "master" and has been doing this for 50 years. I tend to be a perfectionist, but I really don't think I am overreacting on this one.

I just can't seem to figure out how to post pictures. It tells me my photos exceed the size limits when I try to post them. How can I add photos to this thread? I really want opinions.

Thank you so much.

I usually upload mine to Photobucket, then use the bottom link to post my pics. I think there is a helpful thread here somewhere with info on how to get a photo to post.

Ok good it worked. This photo shows how far back the soles were put. Most of the pictures I see it is not as far back as this. The cobbler said he does this because if it is only done on the ball of the foot area then it will start to lift. But I think it ruins the aesthetic of the shoe because from the back you can see a large portion of rubber. Plus, they are uneven. One sign covers the "Louboutin" and the other you can still make it out (why on earth would you cover any of the sign?!). What do you think? Is it unusual for them to be this far back? More pics to come.

My cobbler usually doesn't go that far down on my higher heels, but other than that, they don't look bad. Can you take one of the edge of the shoe? Also, I always have the heels taps replaced with the ones my cobbler has. The ones that come with the shoes are not nearly as nice. I walked one off my new Belle booties, the first time I wore them.

These 2 pictures show nics in the red around the edge of the rubber. Not sure if it's from scraping too far up or what? I think he could have at least tried to colour it in! I'm working on the other views, including the side view!

Attachments

• rsz_img_0097.jpg
    rsz_img_0097.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 494
  • rsz_img_0098.jpg
    rsz_img_0098.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 532
Here's the rest of the pictures. Sorry to take up so many posts - this is my first time trying to post pics!

The first picture shows the side view. It looks pretty good from the side, except for one nick, which is shown in the second picture.

The 3rd picture shows a small nick near the heel tap that was not there before. This is the same on both shoes.

The 4th pic shows how the shoes seem to lean outwards now. They never did this before. I can feel it when I put them on too. I am no idea why this is. Either the heel taps or the sole changed the balance I guess?

FYI: They are TOPY rubber soles. Sorry if the pics aren't the best quality.

Attachments

• rsz_img_0102.jpg
    rsz_img_0102.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 502
  • rsz_img_0099.jpg
    rsz_img_0099.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 485
  • rsz_img_0100.jpg
    rsz_img_0100.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 509
  • rsz_img_0101.jpg
    rsz_img_0101.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 526
I forgot to mention that on the edges surrounding the rubber sole there is what appears to be sticky stuff on the leather. You can see it in some of the close up pics. The leather was in perfect condition before. I wonder if there is anything that can take it off?

A cobbler did this to a pair of NP's I used to have after instructions on exactly what they should look like. He said the same thing yours did... that it would be better for the shoe for them to be that high.

I agree that he did a crappy job and NO, I don't think you're overreacting.

Edit: But what do you want the end result to be? For him to fix them? Or pay for new repairs?

I've been a victim of a blotched cobbler job (3 pairs!) so I know how you feel. The cobbler also covered the "Louboutin" mark (inspite of my instructions not to) and left a gap between the Vibram & sole. You're not overreacting. Now you need to determine what you want him to do as indy said. Good luck.

No you're not overreacting. I know how it feels, my cobbler ruined a pair of Zanotti's (he resoled them and painted the edges black OVER the python and there was glue all over, I was soo mad!)
In my opinion there is too much vibram visible and it totally ruins the beauty of the shoes. I'm so sorry for you!
You should go back to the cobbler and work this out, your'e money back and he should fix it if it is possible.

Wow Coconut, I have to agree with you and everyone else, he did a pretty crappy job. My first pair of CLs are on their way to me and this has post is scary. It makes me think I will only wear mines on carpet in the office, never really outside until I can afford to make all of my shoe purchases Louboutins.

BTW, I've noticed other posters have a similar lean to yours, leaning to the outside....so I'm guessing that your situation is hardly unusual. Needless to say, when I finally get mine, I probably wont actually ever wear them *just take pictures of me wearing them in my house lol

Thank you soooo much for your replies! I'm so happy to hear that I was overreacting. Even my spouse who doesn't know much about shoes thought the same thing as me.

I have no idea what to do about them. My sweet spouse went in yesterday to talk to them because I had to work, but the owner/main cobbler wasn't there. They just told him that the cobbler is a master and has done this forever and that this is the way his jobs always look. My spouse said he isn't a master if he left nicks everywhere. They offerred to have him leave my shoes there for the cobbler to fix when he is in next week, but he (smartly) didn't want to just leave them there without talking to the cobbler first. So I guess I will go in next week when he is back. They did not offer to give my money back, but I do want it back because why would I PAY to have my shoes ruined? Other than that, perhaps he can fix a couple of the nicks and try to get the glue off, but I don't think there's anything that can be done about how high the rubber sole is put. They have to scratch the red paint off underneath, so if you took it off it would look even worse.

My spouse tried to make me feel better by saying this can now be my "beater" pair of Louboutins that I don't have to worry about ruining and I can try saving for another nicer pair. But I don't want any pair of CLs to be beaters!! Plus I'm not sure that I can afford another pair. I am hoping to get a pair of VPs sometime soon and was asking for help in sizing thread! Just hard to get VPs in Canada and not sure if anywhere in the US ships here.

I just have to say that I will never again get this done. I will let the shoes age naturally and just be very careful about wearing them outside so the sole doesn't get too wrecked in the first place.

Thanks for the support and more opinions or suggestions on what I should do about this are welcome!