Books & Music Am I getting old, or is pop music of this particular moment crappy?

LabelLover81

Peace Love & Purses
O.G.
Mar 5, 2010
I was looking at the top singles in iTunes today and I only recognized 2 songs. And I hate one of them (Fancy - Iggy A). So I need to know, am I getting too old to keep up with pop music, or is the music of Summer 2014 really crappy?
I will admit, when I'm in my car my favorite station is 90s on 9 :shame: But I purposefully try to turn to the hit music stations too so I don't get into a rut.

I'm 20 and I think it's crappy! Once in awhile I'll hear a decent song, but my Pandora has been turned on to Disney music (other times I have it turned on to instrumental/classical, country, and Christian/hymn music) lately. It's the only thing that I like to listen to nowadays!

I listen to rock but even I can't stand the pop of recent. I can tolerate the pop of before but these days it's just horrible. At least back in the other decades, they were actually trying to make music. Now, it's all about image not the talent.

I had a moment the other day while driving with my hubby. The radio was playing and I commented that the youth of today have no idea what good music is. Then I was like that's what our parents meant when they said it to us. OMG...I'm getting old. But I agree, it's crap...pop, rap, etc. I really don't care for any of it and I hate when they sample good songs from the 80s and 90s. I hear the beat and I get excited then somebody else is singing or rapping. Boo.

I had a moment the other day while driving with my hubby. The radio was playing and I commented that the youth of today have no idea what good music is. Then I was like that's what our parents meant when they said it to us. OMG...I'm getting old. But I agree, it's crap...pop, rap, etc. I really don't care for any of it and I hate when they sample good songs from the 80s and 90s. I hear the beat and I get excited then somebody else is singing or rapping. Boo.
OMG! my hub and I had that talk just a while back! We're slowly becoming our parents! Definitely agree with you on the song tease when you think they will play a song you recognize only to feel ripped off when it's someone else~ XD

I think it's pretty bad right now. Normally, I would chalk this up to ageing, but I remember having the same feeling when I was 14-16 and HATING pop music in those couple years (late 90s, early 2000s). It made me turn my musical interests to the 80s, so at least I have Britney Spears and Korn to thank for making me explore more types of music.

As I recall, pop music was not terrible 5 years ago, or even 2 years ago. I think it goes in waves.

I have to agree with all of you. I am 20 and I don't listen to the popular music nowadays. I miss the old days like 90s music. I sometimes listen to 80s and 70s music and I feel like those are more appropriate than the music today. The music just does not make sense, sometimes too much swearing, and just does not appeal to me :tdown:

Haha, you guys are cute!
Try being older than dirt, growing up on 60s & 70s songwriter/singers and then listening to whatever that stuff on the radio is now. It's what now? Dub-you-don't-say?
I do like Rihanna, Katey Perry, Kesha, Jack White or are they all 90's musicians?
Haha, I am old.