Books & Music Am I getting old, or is pop music of this particular moment crappy?

Pop music today is pretty terrible. I listen to Top Tracks in the US on Spotify and find myself skipping through probably 75-80% of the songs as I find them simply unbearable to listen to.

I recommend Afropop (from Nigeria, Ghana, and Kenya) for consistently good, catchy pop music. It's a lot better than most popular music today, and better yet a lot of the songs have really nice, meaningful messages about love, marriage, helping others etc. There is some music that isn't good, but a lot of very catchy songs. :biggrin: P-Square, Sauti Sol, Iyanya, Don Jazzy, Reekado Banks, Sound Sultan, Ice Prince Zamani and Dr. Sid are just a few of the many good singers (all Nigerian, except Sauti Sol). I could name more, but will stop there :angel: Most of the music is in (Pidgin) English, although there are often Yoruba, Swahili, & Igbo lyrics too, which is fun to learn :P

Romantic Reggaeton is often pop-ish, and there is Kpop too (although I personally think it's gone downhill since a few years ago :sad:). There are also some good Arabic language pop-ish singers, although they aren't generally from consistent countries (Maher Zain and Humood Alkhudher are my favorites although Harris J is like the Muslim Justin Beiber lol :amuse: The lyrics are usually very nice too!).

It's out there if you look for it.
This is one I'm currently obsessed with. Haunting, hypnotic.

The Veronica's, an Australian band, live on The Voice Australia with "The Only High" - a great live perfomance.

My DS does a lot of vocal training and there's not much that's popular right now that he likes - there are certain singers and bands who are extremely talented but there's a lot that either doesn't sound good or doesn't sound unique. And when I do find something I like he will explain to me why it's terrible and just ruins it for me.