Books & Music Am I getting old, or is pop music of this particular moment crappy?

Some of it I think is age & some of it is the music of today. The one thing I've noticed with a lot of the 'top songs' these days is the sheer amount of times they spend repeating the same word or phrase over & over & over.

It's crap.

Honestly I think the problem is that the majority of the "talent" today is manufactured - 100% autotune. Have you ever heard Katy Perry or Taylor Swift live? They couldn't carry a tune in a bucket! Those artists with legitimate musical talent (like Lady Gaga) are few & far between IMHO.

Modern country music is pretty dismal as well.

Hahaha...it is crap! I thought I was the only one who tought so.

I actually listened to songs by Iggy Azalea and Arianna Grande. My first thought was, "What is this crap?" Seriously?

It's crap.
Have you ever heard Katy Perry or Taylor Swift live?

I beg to differ. Taylor Swift is a legitimate singer who was an absolute sensation as a young person. She doesn't need the studio to sing and perform well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Xpw1ZaxUkE

I agree that pop music is manufactured, but that's always been true--for like 100 years. It's always had the same complaints about it, too.

I beg to differ. Taylor Swift is a legitimate singer who was an absolute sensation as a young person. She doesn't need the studio to sing and perform well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Xpw1ZaxUkE

I agree that pop music is manufactured, but that's always been true--for like 100 years. It's always had the same complaints about it, too.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this. IDK if she lip syncs sometimes or just has a whole lot of bad days, but I've heard her live several times and she's consistently off key & flat. Not Katy Perry level bad, but she clearly benefits from a lot of autotune. I know she's wildly popular, and I do give her credit for writing songs and playing instruments.

A lot of pop songs from earlier decades are well-remembered & even iconic. I just can't see anything that's on the radio today being popular in 20 or 30 years. I just don't think it will stand the test of time... but maybe I am wrong.

I like some of today's pop music, but I find myself turning to Asia for variety when it gets repetitive. I've discovered a real love for Bollywood music (even though it repeats the same way our pop does, at least it's in Hindi so I am just happy to hear a bit I recognize and can sing along to).

I think pop music is pretty awful these days. It's primarily disposable music created simply for a fast cash grab. The "talent" is manufactured. I guess by definition pop music isn't necessarily meant to be deep, but it's seriously off the rails these days in its shallowness.

If you're 12 though, it probably sounds pretty awesome.

It's a variety of things.

In the 60s while the 'old folks' were listing to big bands and orchestras like Doc Severinson's, they considered The Rolling Stones and The Who to be sheer noise.. But have you ever really listened to The Who? There's a lot in there that can be compared to orchestral works. Keith Emerson of Emerson, Lake and Palmer and Rick Wakeman of Yes are both classical pianists and can play Chopin just as well as their own works.

Today, few know any of their stuff.

Back then, Motown was junk. Now it's revered as among the greatest music.

I was never big on R&B then, but listening to some of it now isn't bad.

I can't say as I know any song written after the 90s. I absolutely despise cRap and Hip-Hop. I have no idea what Perry, Gomez, Swift or Bieber sing. No clue at all. But from what I've seen, I can't imagine any of them performing at age 65 or 70 the way Mick Jagger and Pete Townsend have or Oscar Petersen or Count Basie or so many others of the real greats.

In today's crowds, I don't see any Pete Seegers, Carly Simons, Pat Benatars, Gordon Lightfoots, Steven Stillss, Neil Youngs, Dionne Warwicks, Gladys Knights, Issaac Hayes, Tina Turners, etc., etc., etc., etc.