Am I crazy to consider?

louislover260

Jan 16, 2008
So, basically, I'm in love with either a 40cm Birkin, or a 40cm HAC...

I don't really have the funds to purchase one... but I'm pretty sure I could buy a used one online easily if I made a change... A BIG CHANGE!

I'm thinking about selling off my ENTIRE collection, and putting the funds to just one bag, a Birkin. I would be so content with just one brown togo birkin with gold hardware. It's such a classic design and it could be carried anywhere for any occasion.

Most of my bags really can only be carried for certain things:
Totes for days out at the library, or farmers market
Satchels for shopping or dinner
Clutch... again for shopping and dinner

But a Birkin could do all of those things!

So, is this a crazy idea? Or would it be the right decision?

I need some input before I make a rash decision!

Louislover, if you're crazy (and I don't think you are), then I'm relatively certain you're in very good company here.....if you're heart is set on a birkin, and it's all you can think about owning, and all the others don't see the light of day, then your decision is made already :smile:

Last edited:
Louislover, if you're crazy (and I don't think you are), then I'm relatively certain you're in very good company here.....if you're heart is set on a birkin, and it's all you can think about owning, and all the others don't see the light of day, then your decision is made already :smile:

Shelbygirl! Well said. (As usual!)

Louislover - Most of us can claim tunnel vision when we want a particular Hermes bag, and I think you are smart to consider trying to sell the others that obviously don't mean the same to you. (Cough cough...I didn't. Gave most of them away!)

OMG!!! Now I'm getting really excited about doing this! Is there a possiblitly of getting an HAC or Birking for around or under $4k?

It is hard to find, but possible. Under $4k is going to be so beat up you won't want to carry it though. Certainly not a nice 40cm Brown w/GHW. It is doable for $4.5K- $5.5K, but still hard to find. Start selling and saving and keep your eyes out.

40cm is quite large and not for everyone so do consider carefully. A 35cm is a bit more versatile and easier to find. In fact, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290335503595&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:VRI very reputable seller and a nice workhorse bag.

Also, http://cgi.ebay.com/AUTHENTIC-HERMES-BIRKIN-35cm-VEAU-NATURAL-in-SABLE-GHW_W0QQitemZ230361948407QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_CSA_WH_Handbags?hash=item35a2a460f7&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14 quite beat up, but I'm sure a spa would help. It is also extremely low priced for a Birkin. Vache Naturelle is a really cool leather.

Almost word for word what I was thinking of posting!:smile:

Louislover260 very best of luck with your venture,I hope it doesn't take too long for you,once your mind and heart are set on something it can be painful to wait!

I get rid of most of my bags after getting a Birkin. Not because of funding, but I realised that I would hardly use them as I am always carrying a Birkin.

However, I am keep my Chanel and LV and I make sure I have a bag in each of the category. Meaning a sling bag - LV messenger, a shoulder carry bag - Chanel Classic Jumbo, an evening bag - Chanel Classic medium, a document bag - LV Beaubourg and others.

It is a good idea to sell away your other bags as I believe you will hardly be carrying them after you have gotten you Birkin.

Mmmm... To be honest, I haven't seen a used condition 40 condition for $4.5K, and I mean not a train wrack condition... I think you are more looking at $5k and above. Of course, there are some out there that's more like a workhorse, like there is a VERY used condition 35 VN for $4K but since you're thinking about selling your entire condition for the one and only one, I would want something that is in a good condition! Especially if you want to take it to dinner, for example, and maybe out for a drink... Can you imagine yourself carrying a really old and beat-up looking bag? Just something to consider...

Putting myself in your situation, I would prefer a good condition, or at least have potential (ie looking great after spa). In this case, I would highly recommend getting one in black box leather. Most people shy away from box, afraid of scratching the leather, so making it less popular (than let's say togo, for example)... And box can refurbish really, really nicely, so even if you find out in less than ideal condition, you could always bring it back to H and having it come back spanking new!

HTH and we will be in the look out for you! :flowers: