Am I crazy or something?

selketkrb

Videre est credere
O.G.
Jul 23, 2008
I got my Camel Lily today and I am just not gah-gah over it. You know, the kind of gah-gah you *should* be for a bag that costs $768. Overall I love the look of the bag but the straps are weird when you hold it in your hand, they just don't lay nice together so hand carrying it is awkward a bit, feels bulky. Does anyone else find this is true as well?

I don't know, maybe I am crazy.

DSC02059a.jpg

DSC02056a.jpg

I thought the same way about the straps when I tried it on. They fold over each other awkwardly. It wasn't comfortable on my shoulder either. I just couldn't do the Lily as much as I love the look. If you're not completely in love with it, I would get something else. Just like you said, you have to be head over heels when you pay that kind of money for a bag and if you're not feeling it....return.

I am so sad because the straps are literally the only thing I don't like about this bag. I love the color, I love the hardware, I love the leather, etc, etc. It makes my wonder why they didn't just put a several inch section at the top middle of the straps that rounded them (like the Gigi's have). Ugh!

:sad:

Ultimately, you have to be completely happy with it. For that price, it has to be as close to perfection as it can be. You're not insane. That would bother me a bit too.

No you are not crazy...for that money you need to be completely happy with it. I sort of know how you feel...I LOVE my new Whiskey Gigi...but it is SO heavy! Arghhh!!!

I felt the same way at first about mine. But now I love my Lily and I am getting 2 more. :yahoo: The handles on mine soften up and got more flexible after awhile. The bag got looser from weight after it broke in and I can carry my over my shoulder now pretty comfortably. It hangs much different now than it did new when it was stiff and just stuffed with paper. But I agree, for that price you have to love it!

Sorry that you're not in love with the Lily. I hope there is something in the new line that stirs your blood. Take this back...it's just going to bug you. I'd feel the same way too. Do you like the new Zoe? How about try something bright and fresh?

Take care,

You are definitely not crazy. I have seen the Lily and tried it on. I did find it to be heavy when you are carrying it on your shoulder. If you are not happy with it, return it and buy something that you are happy with.

You're not crazy. There are both "pros" and "cons" with the Lily satchels, and the bottom line is each person carries a different bag differently. Some bags work for some of us and some don't.

I actually agree with Pzold here. Initially I was not crazy about the Lily, but it did grow on me. That said, I would still only buy a medium Lily if I could not get the color in the XL size. That's why I have the camel Lily. It's actually a bit small IMO. I strongly prefer the large size. JMHO.

As for size, I carry the small laptops, and they fit fine with room to spare in the medium Lily. So I like this. It's another reason I was drawn to the Peyton or any bag with dual compartments.

I've never really had a problem with the straps on this one. It's the rope handles like the Peyton that want to slide off my shoulder or cut into my shoulder that I find annoying. These sit flat for me and are comfortable once positioned, BUT...they are definitely shorter than on the XL Lily. That might cause a problem for some people.

The thing is these satchels can expand or actually squash down when you carry them. I prefer to keep the "satchel shape", so if I don't have mine packed, I keep some packing paper at the bottom to keep the basic structure. I do this with the large Lily as well. The problem when you keep the original depth is that it causes the bag to stick out under your arm, and this is when I find that the straps sometimes slide off with a satchel style bag. This is why I have a problem with the Peyton...I do use the packing materials and don't let it squash down so much. But this bag is definitely like Pzold said...if you use it, and don't keep it stuffed, it will break in and squash down. At that point, admittedly the dual handle straps are a lot more comfy and stay put better!

The weight is definitely an issue for some people. I'm used to carrying bricks, so I actually find the medium lily to be light. This is of course compared to the large size.

The bottom line, though, is that as the other posters said, you do have to love it for yourself. It's not worth the money if you don't. I would suggest trying it around the house with your stuff in it and see how the shape changes and feels. If you wear it around for a while, then you can also assess the weight. I'm sure i'm in the minority on thinking this is a light weight bag, but it's really always "relative". I would prefer to carry a thick leather bag that looks like it's worth the money rather than a cheap light leather or pleather bag. JMHO.

Good luck on your decision, and make the decision based on what's right for YOU! :yes:

Thanks for all of your comments/thoughts. I do appreciate it. As for liking something in the new line I am not sure yet. Nothing really stands up and grabs me yet. I like the Legacy Satchel but I would like to feel it in person. I have liked the pics I have been seeing of the Sabrina's. I am going to drive a little further down to a flagship store in hope that they will have more colors/selection for me to browse thru. Hopefully something will inspire me.

You're not crazy. The thing is these satchels can expand or actually squash down when you carry them. I prefer to keep the "satchel shape", so if I don't have mine packed, I keep some packing paper at the bottom to keep the basic structure. I do this with the large Lily as well. The problem when you keep the original depth is that it causes the bag to stick out under your arm, and this is when I find that the straps sometimes slide off with a satchel style bag. This is why I have a problem with the Peyton...I do use the packing materials and don't let it squash down so much. But this bag is definitely like Pzold said...if you use it, and don't keep it stuffed, it will break in and squash down. At that point, admittedly the dual handle straps are a lot more comfy and stay put better! :yes:

Baglady ...that is a great idea....I never thought about putting the packing material or tissue at the bottom to keep the "Satchel shape." That will also keep things from getting lost at the bottom LOL! Hey I understand you are looking for the Black Lily Wallet # 41151. I'll keep an eye out for you .......I totally lucked out finding mine and had to find a girlfriend clean across the country to pick it up for me and send it. I just got it this week and LOVE it. Now I'm on the hunt for the Black Lily. Does that make sense? Buy a wallet for less than $100 and then have to buy a $700 bag to match??? Now there is insanity for ya! Did the same thing with the camel bridgit....found the wallet then needed the bag to match..... Crazy!

Attachments

• Black Lily Wallet 001.jpg
    Black Lily Wallet 001.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 48