Am I crazy?!?!?! Is profit the only thing that matters??? long!

I was making a point about LV handbags in particular. LVs never used to be a household name (at even lower pricepoints than now), and now it is a household name. So yes, the new exclusivity is at $8k for H. I'm on the same page ;)

I agree, say Hermes to someone and they are clueless. Say Louis Vuitton and they will probably recognize it due to celebrities wearing the monogram! Although....Chanel is a pretty recognizable name too...and their bags are quite expensive!

But see the exclusivity is coming at a higher price point. You need to up yourself to about $1500-2000 to get exclusivity...and even then....my Chanel tote was $1900 (now currently $2300) and you can buy it anywhere....but can just anyone drop 2K on a tote? So the price point needs to get to the point where the average middle class person says 'Well for 2K I can buy a purse, but really I can use that 2K on other more important things' vs. the upper middle class -> upper class who say '2K is nothing for a bag' and don't even blink.
True exclusivity comes at about an $8000 starting price tag for a Hermes...where you special order, wait for months....if they even take your order!!!
I think at least Chanel level, maybe even Hermès Birkin level (at least here...) a lot of "starving students" can still afford it if they really want to. The class distinction is totally off.

First and foremost, LVMH is a buisness. Of course they want more and more profits, however, I do not think they're going to sacrifice the quality of their goods.

And there is nothing wrong with LV making what everyone is referring to as "affordable bags" such as the Neverfull... That was a great business decision IMO!

But please keep in mind, $600 is not affordable for 99.9% of the people who live in our world!

Just enjoy your bags and feel fortunate that you have them :smile:

~I hear ya:yes:~

FashionMIKE"the canvas is from Egypt and the bag is assembled in France, Spain, Italy and the United States!"

Thanks, that was helpful info...

I have yet to purchase my first LV but I agree with alot of what has been said. LV will never become the next coach, it isnt in their best interest. It seems to me that because they have become a household name they can raise the bar as much as they want and people will just figure out a way to go ahead and buy. The strategy is smart. Alot of high school girls in upper middle class households get their speedy's and starter bags in HS so in college they are already buying those 1k+ bags. LV represents the essence of luxury and for alot of people I know they are willing to go without necessities to have a LV. I really don't thnk people care too much about the outsourcing unless you are really into the brand and the history. For most people I believe they will hear LV and know it is luxury, so it is an association now and nothing else really matters.

Oh yeah and Enjoy your LV's ppl I have been browsing and they are some real show stoppers!

Just read through this whole thread and just don't know what to say! I hope LV never loses its luster and don't really see it in the near future. On the other hand I don't see why the middle class (me!) shouldn't have it! I hate the whole class divide! That's just absurd, but I'm getting off topic. Have more to vent about this, just frustrated about some of the comments!

I buy LV because I like the look of the brand, and quality. I only have a few pieces and do not want all of them. I buy what I like. Just recently I have been able to afford this brand. Never really cared about purses before until now. Unsure of the quality of LVs in the past, I just hope mine last!

Got to get my hands on that "Deluxe" book!

'Branding' and 'exclusivity' are marketing concepts that no educated consumer should get sucked in by. I'm dead serious when I say this as I work in the fashion industry and I know all the tricks that marketing people use to dupe consumers out of their money. Please believe me when I say this; it's a con game, pure and simple.

Just something to consider: If LV was as 'exclusive' as some of you seem to believe, why is it that they have boutiques in just about every major city in the world? Sometimes they even have multiple boutiques in the same city - I happen to live in a city that has 2. This, alone, points out that they are already mass-producing and mass-marketing.

The only way now, in this age of globalization and mass wealth, to get something truly exclusive is to get something bespoke. Anything other then this, and you, as a consumer, are just being overcharged for a mass-produced item when it comes to luxury brands.

Why do people like what they like? One would have to examine the psychology of personal taste. Certainly corporate marketing is a factor but also 'keeping up with the Jones'' is part of human nature. We all love our LV's for any number of personal reasons and I hope my LV obsession is here to stay!

nope :smile: From my knowledge the canvas is from Egypt

I just wanted to point out that canvas is made from either heavy cotton or hemp fabric. While there are different grades of cotton and hemp fabric, there's nothing special or exclusive about canvas; as their are millions of cotton and hemp farmers all over the world and both of these plants are relatively easy to cultivate.

'Branding' and 'exclusivity' are marketing concepts that no educated consumer should get sucked in by. I'm dead serious when I say this as I work in the fashion industry and I know all the tricks that marketing people use to dupe consumers out of their money. Please believe me when I say this; it's a con game, pure and simple.

Just something to consider: If LV was as 'exclusive' as some of you seem to believe, why is it that they have boutiques in just about every major city in the world? Sometimes they even have multiple boutiques in the same city - I happen to live in a city that has 2. This, alone, points out that they are already mass-producing and mass-marketing.

The only way now, in this age of globalization and mass wealth, to get something truly exclusive is to get something bespoke. Anything other then this, and you, as a consumer, are just being overcharged for a mass-produced item when it comes to luxury brands.

Thanks for this post. I had not thought of it this way, but you are correct. A consumer can find LV in almost any major market in the U.S.

That is perfectly all-right, but can't we agree that there are people who want exclusivity and a little bit of uniqueness, especially when spending $1000+?

IMO, people that want that are those that consider 1k a lot for a bag, and they had to save up or something.

It would be very hard to have one of a kind bag, unless you had it made just for you.