Am I crazy for wanting a Navy Boy Bag? If this is going to be my one and only Chanel?

glendaPLEASE

The Good Witch
O.G.
Jun 15, 2010
Hi all! I am self-confessing as a troubled Chanel fan, meaning I have always had a love-hate relationship with the brand. The prices are insane, but sometimes I love the bags. Sometimes I find a bag that's not great quality and its infuriating. Sometimes I don't care. I DEFINITELY want Hermes more than Chanel, so I am of two minds while saving for my purchases. I'm not going to devote my money to having a large Chanel collection, so I probably have to content myself with just one or maybe two a most in my life. I'm currently saving up for my first Chanel, and I've hit a dilemma.

Everyone I know, and all the SAs I've talked to, tell me to get a black bag if I'm not going to build a huge collection. But... I haven't been able to pull the trigger on a classic black Chanel yet, and I don't know why. I think it's because I don't actually like the black and gold combo (I legit have no black/gold combo bags in my collection)! Recently, I started watching Caitlyn Pawlowski's channel on Youtube, and she has a GORGEOUS Navy Blue Boy bag with GHW, and I am 100% envious of it. THEN, I saw THIS beauty on the website.
Chanel Boy 2020.PNG

It's bigger than most popular bags right now, and it's blue. Not black. Is it more or less versatile? I can't tell anymore. What do you guys think of Navy Blue as a "classic" color? Do you have/like Navy Blue bags? Should I go for this one? Or should I get a classic flap in black (like in a small or mini size?).

Sorry for the long ramble. I struggle with Chanel.

Your best purchase is always the one you love, regardless of what anyone else says. Navy blue might complement your style more than a black one and it's pretty close to being black anyway that it's very versatile, IMO. I personally LOVE navy blue -- I bought a Balenciaga Day Hobo in the colour navy yearrrsss ago and it's still in my top 3 favourites. It goes with pretty much all of my clothing because I tend to wear a lot of neutrals.

I believe that if you're going to drop serious coin on a purse, you should buy it for yourself.

if you LOVE the navy, get the navy!! Its a good neutral color to have and matches with lots of things. Dont worry about classic or what others have :smile:

If you think you will wear it and enjoy it then get it!

Sounds to me as though you aren’t thrilled with the brand. You might as well buy something from Hermès instead. The prices aren’t too different either.

As for navy vs black, both are classic and easy to match colours.

Reactions: Samuestar
I think navy is absolutely a classic color and very Chanel. Although I’d personally go to Hermes for a blue bag (what about red, beige or tweed for your only Chanel?).
The Boy I find quite dated (but I never loved it so I may be biased).
If you love it get it.

Reactions: 880
I think navy is absolutely a classic color and very Chanel. Although I’d personally go to Hermes for a blue bag (what about red, beige or tweed for your only Chanel?).
The Boy I find quite dated (but I never loved it so I may be biased).
If you love it get it.
I was worried about this as well! I was honestly never really drawn to the boy bag before I saw Caitlyn P with hers on Youtube! And now I like it! I wonder if I'm just being swayed by influencers.

Sounds to me as though you aren’t thrilled with the brand. You might as well buy something from Hermès instead. The prices aren’t too different either.

As for navy vs black, both are classic and easy to match colours.

Yea, this is exactly my struggle. I sometimes love Chanel and really want it, and then I don't, and it's way too much money for me to be this wishy washy about it. To your Hermes point. Yes. I should just get a blue Hermes, right? Problem solved. BUT and this is where I'm probably psycho and have too much time to think about this stuff than I should, I really only like Hermes in their neutral shades, I've never really been into their blues (which are too pop of blue for me)! Ugh! If only I were a billionaire.

Yea, this is exactly my struggle. I sometimes love Chanel and really want it, and then I don't, and it's way too much money for me to be this wishy washy about it. To your Hermes point. Yes. I should just get a blue Hermes, right? Problem solved. BUT and this is where I'm probably psycho and have too much time to think about this stuff than I should, I really only like Hermes in their neutral shades, I've never really been into their blues (which are too pop of blue for me)! Ugh! If only I were a billionaire.

I’m stuck on the other side of the fence. I strongly prefer Chanel due to all their fun variations of the flap.

I think you might be better off waiting for something that you really love!

Seems to me that you might just have to wait till Hermes releases a new blue that is just right!

Buy what you truly like regardless of what other people say. If a purse makes you smile, makes your heart sing, and you definitely can afford it---buy it!

Hi all! I am self-confessing as a troubled Chanel fan, meaning I have always had a love-hate relationship with the brand. The prices are insane, but sometimes I love the bags. Sometimes I find a bag that's not great quality and its infuriating. Sometimes I don't care. I DEFINITELY want Hermes more than Chanel, so I am of two minds while saving for my purchases. I'm not going to devote my money to having a large Chanel collection, so I probably have to content myself with just one or maybe two a most in my life. I'm currently saving up for my first Chanel, and I've hit a dilemma.

Everyone I know, and all the SAs I've talked to, tell me to get a black bag if I'm not going to build a huge collection. But... I haven't been able to pull the trigger on a classic black Chanel yet, and I don't know why. I think it's because I don't actually like the black and gold combo (I legit have no black/gold combo bags in my collection)! Recently, I started watching Caitlyn Pawlowski's channel on Youtube, and she has a GORGEOUS Navy Blue Boy bag with GHW, and I am 100% envious of it. THEN, I saw THIS beauty on the website.
View attachment 4772710

It's bigger than most popular bags right now, and it's blue. Not black. Is it more or less versatile? I can't tell anymore. What do you guys think of Navy Blue as a "classic" color? Do you have/like Navy Blue bags? Should I go for this one? Or should I get a classic flap in black (like in a small or mini size?).

Reactions: 880
I adore navy and many shades of dark blue. I wear blue bags with Black all the time. Go with what you love. I also agree with spicy tuna about chanel tweed and boucle.

View attachment 4772710

I honestly don't get the whole black bag thing. When I go to resale sites, I have to swim thru a sea of black Chanels to find anything else. That, to me says two things: one, there are so many, so they certainly aren't unique. Two, if that is THE bag to have, why are there so many being passed on to the pre-loved shops? Now, I have nothing against black Chanels (I own a So Black myself) but I just don't get the pressure/advice that if you buy, it must be black.
Like many others have said, get what you love. There is nothing magical about a black bag. The magic is in what you love.

I honestly don't get the whole black bag thing. When I go to resale sites, I have to swim thru a sea of black Chanels to find anything else. That, to me says two things: one, there are so many, so they certainly aren't unique. Two, if that is THE bag to have, why are there so many being passed on to the pre-loved shops? Now, I have nothing against black Chanels (I own a So Black myself) but I just don't get the pressure/advice that if you buy, it must be black.
Like many others have said, get what you love. There is nothing magical about a black bag. The magic is in what you love.

I think the pressure/advice to choose a black bag is because for the great majority of people, a Chanel bag is a huge extravagance and they might only ever purchase one. Meaning they might not want to make a mistake and pick a trendy colour, which they might regret and have difficulty reselling down the road. There's also this belief that it is a dressy bag so having something that is easy to match with many outfits year round is a plus.

Moreover, Chanel has new seasonal colours each year but offers black flaps every season without fail. Therefore, the market is flooded with black bags and so you might see more black bags on resale sites than coloured ones. Plus there's also the historical aspect of Gabrielle Chanel's colours (black, white, beige, gold and red) that make these the most sought after colours.

Last edited: