Am I crazy for considering buying a 25 year old speedy?

purseladyabc

Jan 18, 2008
I have a speedy that I bought 5 years ago, and it is a wreck. The canvas is cracked (I admit that this was my mistake because I keep keys, coins, and other heavy stuff in the interior pocket). I also wonder if carrying it with a strap has done damage? The piping is also pretty much destroyed. I love the look and shape of the bag, so I want a new one, but I read on another thread that the older bags (from the late 80s and early 90s) have thicker piping and canvas. I feel so weird carrying something that old.

I really like vintage pieces as long as they aren't in bad shape! Like the poster said above you just want to make sure you do your homework.

I wouldn't however base my decision on getting a vintage piece because of the newer styles. Personally I own 3 speedys and two are new, and one of them is 10 years old. I don't really feel that there's a massive quality difference. I don't know about the thickness of the canvas or handles but I wouldn't be concerned about a speedy bag made today.

Good Luck!

As long as it's in good condition and a great price go for it. But if your gonna use it as an everyday bag I wouldn't get it. What if it falls apart sooner then you think. If you stick with new, you might get a longer wear out of it.

I have recently bought 3 new speedy's just because I wanted to "create their history" myself and manage the patina. But, I also have a vintage keepall that I bought because I wanted instant patina and I love the vintage look on luggage.

It's totally personal. When you find the right one with the right patina, why not grab it. If it makes you happy go for it :woohoo:

I have a speedy that I bought 5 years ago, and it is a wreck. The canvas is cracked (I admit that this was my mistake because I keep keys, coins, and other heavy stuff in the interior pocket). I also wonder if carrying it with a strap has done damage? The piping is also pretty much destroyed. I love the look and shape of the bag, so I want a new one, but I read on another thread that the older bags (from the late 80s and early 90s) have thicker piping and canvas. I feel so weird carrying something that old.
I say keep the bag. I personally love vintage LV. The older LV bags were constructed and were an overall better quality than those made now. Have you thought about having the bag refurbished with new piping, handles, hardware, etc? I've heard that LV will not fix rips or tears to the canvas, but it might be worth to replace the other things. The store will do a free assessment for you.

I have speedy 25 and 30. My speedy 30 is Mon-mono, and the bag was produced in 2010. My speedy 25 was produce in 1997. I can clearly see the difference in between these two. My speedy 25, the canvas is much thicker and stitches are tighter. Over all much better made.

You are not crazy at all. If the vintage bag is clean and no odor, you should definitely consider it.

My first Speedy was vintage- about 20 years old! I did love it and got lots of compliments on it but it definitely needed work and I spent a lot of time trying to spruce up the interior (it had a big ink stain on the bottom which I covered with a base shaper) and the vachetta. Plus, it had a really powdery smell to it. I kept it for about two years but ended up selling it to fund a newer one. If the interior and the leather are in good shape and there are no smells/mildew/mold AND if you get a good deal, I'd say get it!

I think if you can find a Speedy that's over 10 years old and in great condition then go for it! I think you'd find the quality is excellent. My wallet is from 1998 and it's in wonderful condition!

No. I don't think you're crazy at all. The canvas itself doesn't age much. What you have to consider are these 2 things:

1. Are the handles in good shape, and relatively clean.
2. Are the zippers working. Because overtime the metal rusts, and you certainly don't want to struggle with the zippers when you're getting in and out of the bag. That'll be very frustrating.

If OK, then by all means get one at a very good price. :smile::smile::smile:

I own 2 vintage speedys, one 30 y.o. from my grandma, and one 20 y.o. from my mom. I had one of the handles replaced. No problems at all.