Am I being too unreasonable?!

Oct 14, 2007
Okay, so I purchased a classic box from Celine again but decided I don't want it and on the receipt, it says customers can exchange merchandise within 14 days, this is actually the reason why I purchase without giving too much thoughts as I saw it I liked it & was intended a gift for my mom, but my mom didn't like it much. I thought I can exchange for a luggage (I want to build a collection on luggage), and for the price of the box, I can get for 2 luggage.

So I went to exchange. The SA told me that I had to decide on something to exchange right then, in fact I thought they could do store credit (I really don't have any experience returning something and can't get store credit), they said "no we don't do any store credit, so you have to complete your exchange within 14 days from the date of your purchase"

I felt very weird about it, and they wouldn't let me to be put on wait list for luggage, and they only have a very few selections of Trapeze, can't get any phantom neither, I showed interest in the phantom cabas she said I can't get that. I thought I could choose something on Trapeze, but still I can't choose 2! Right there, the SA keep pushing me on wallets, clutches that I do not consider, I don't like or want them as I'm fine with my Hermes & Chanel wallet. To a point, I was sooo upset that I don't want to choose anymore. I really want a luggage, I told her I want to collect Luggage and different colors and I still haven't owned a Micro yet. I told them I don't mind waiting 6 months at all, but they still won't let me because of the14 days return policy that I have to complete the exchange within 14 days.

The SA told me she'd try and extent 14 days period, yet they refuse to put me on the waiting list for luggage. Yet they have waiting list for almost all their bags Trapeze, Phantom etc. (she was pushing me to get Trapeze even there's a wait list)

And took them actually 4 days to get back to me only to say that I had to go down to the store in 3 days to choose and complete the exchange. I was hoping they would at least let me choose one luggage and one other bag, but they said NO Luggage.

I was going back and forth a few times, and from high hopes to upset, I told them, I want to exchange ONLY LUGGAGE or Refund (they don't refund purchase), but they still insist, and I asked why can't I have a luggage, their standard answer is because it's not fair for other customers waiting for it, and I said I can wait as long as you want me to, they said, NO because you have to exchange within 14 days and it could take one month to wait for luggage (again they do extend the period but just not long enough for me to get the luggage, and there's a wait list for Trapeze yet I can get a Trapeze!)

I was so upset because the way they talk to me and the reasoning makes it sound like it's my own fault, I repeatedly hear "We have a lot of other great bags, but you ONLY want the luggage and I am sorry we can't do that"

I understand them saying this because in their point of view, it's not like they don't have products for me to exchange, and I know secretly Luggage is a popular item, of course they are not going to admit that. But to me, I know what I absolutely want, and why I have to settle to 2 bagssss that I don't want and it reminds me how upset I was. And it's a big purchase, I could have bought an Hermes Lindy with just extra a few thousand hkd

And then just now I was on the phone again with the CS hoping they would step back and really give me options that we're both happy. But she again said the exact same things that they can't do luggage. The thing that really really pisses me off (please please excuse my language)is they keep telling me how they understand what I want and feel my frustration blahlbblahblah, BUT yet sorry can't do it. Kept saying they have to be fair to other customers and I asked is "Is it fair to me that I have to get something I know I don't want?"

I'm so upset now I couldn't even believe it!!! I then asked for a refund and of course they are not going to give me neither!!! And it all goes back to the vague statement they say on the receipt, and there's no right or wrong, it's how people interpret it. And then they throw their "policy" at me.

I honestly don't believe (feel free to slap me and wake me up if you disagree) it's such a big unreasonable request to exchange for things I know I want. They kept going back to their policy, yet it's a policy that it's not stated on receipt, they can't even provide a legit reason why I can't get a luggage, they have them on shelves, at the backroom, not like they stop the production. I am willing to wait as long as it takes. GOSH they make it sound like it's my fault of not liking other "great bags" they have, is it really my fault just because I say I am a fan of Celine that I have to like their other bags? :rain:

There's the longest time I want to purchase the Trapeze but I never meet one that I truly truly like, just the color combination doesn't meet my eyes. For the Phantom, I'm not extremely sure because of the relax style, it's an eye candy love all the reveals tpfers posting but just can't imagine myself using it.

I'm so sorry if I am sounding like a *****, I really don't want to be like this but at the same time, I am upset why they have to make it more difficult on me when I'm a loyal customers. And now I feel so stupid, I don't want to argue but I know in my life and many instances that businesses usually take advantage of people who don't speak up.

Can you please tell me if I am being unreasonable?
Sorry for the long message and please forgive me if I sound rude or *****y!!

i really don't see why you cannot get a store credit so that you don't have to decide right now what you want!!!! i don't see why they would care if you pick another bag or get a store credit, they have your money already!!!! it's not like they have to give you the money back!!!! this is why i buy my bags at holt renfrew... 14 days for money back, exchange or credit.... customer decides which one they would like to do.... not the store!!!! (even if it's on sale you have 24hrs to refund or exchange!!)

No I do not think you are unreasonable. It's obvious they are trying to push their less popular bags to you which is totally ridiculous. So the SA can put you on the waiting list for trapeze, but not for luggage? It makes no sense to me. Their popularity is getting into their heads! Just like the other thread where I read that Celine Jakarta requires customers to buy their RTW before they are ALLOWED to buy the luggages. Is there a store manager you can speak to?

dear emmaemmamamama, i am sorry that you are faced with such a frustrating situation. do you think it will be better if you raised the issue to the store manager or someone who has a bigger say in the dealings of the store? the SAs may have their hands tied or do not have the authority to release any luggage to you. that is what i would do. if the manager recognises your relationship with the shop, i'm sure the rules can be bent ever slightly.

no, you don't sound at all *****y or unreasonable. perhaps you need someone of greater authority there to empathise and hopefully have a remedy for the situation! do fill us in if you managed to get a store credit/exchange. rooting for you!

You're not unreasonable at all...I never buy unless from the large department stores...and would probably never buy from the boutique. Their policy doesn't make sense. It is your money and you should have the right to choose what you spend it on! Such a turn off if the boutique has all these "policies". Hope you get something you really want.

You may print this thread out and bring it to store manager to let them know what is being discuessed here. They may step back and give you a store credit, TPF is so popular that some desgin brands don't want members here leave negative feedbacks:smile:? Good luck friend!

I think u r totally reasonable, it's the store that's unreasonable. I never heard that u have to complete an exchange within 14 days, at least u should be able to get a store credit and be able to choose what u really want and when u want to spend ur. I dont have many good words to say when it comes to Celine's customer service. U should bring this issue to their management.

i agree with everyone telling you to bring the issue up to a store manager. it's absurd that they can't give you store credit, and why should you have to choose from what they have in store at the moment if you don't like any of their stock?? that seems very unfair to me...hopefully they will recognize that as someone who wants to build a mini collection (lucky girl :biggrin:) that they're risking losing lots of future business. good luck, let us know what happens! :hugs:

They stress on me every time I purchase any bag that luggage cannot be exchanged for anything and vice versa. I think they are reasonable
Good for you! I was never told about this important information. I every time I purchased in the store, no one mention about not being able to exchange a luggage, and my friend also asked the store before about exchange, they said 14 days exchange like the receipt said. Ironically, when I was doing my return, a customer asked about return policy, the SA just said, sorry we don't offer any return or exchange, totally WRONG! And if there's a policy, please stick to it and make sure customers know in black and white, that's why we have a receipt and that it's their responsibility to make sure people know.

i really don't see why you cannot get a store credit so that you don't have to decide right now what you want!!!! i don't see why they would care if you pick another bag or get a store credit, they have your money already!!!! it's not like they have to give you the money back!!!! this is why i buy my bags at holt renfrew... 14 days for money back, exchange or credit.... customer decides which one they would like to do.... not the store!!!! (even if it's on sale you have 24hrs to refund or exchange!!)

Oh boy, I was like "I really have no experience with a store that doesn't offer store credit" and SA said "umm... yea actually a lot of store doesn't, and we don't" This is my very last purchase with Celine boutique, as much as I like their bag, the service is horrible, there are a lot of department store, reseller that offer same price if not better than and come with a service!

No I do not think you are unreasonable. It's obvious they are trying to push their less popular bags to you which is totally ridiculous. So the SA can put you on the waiting list for trapeze, but not for luggage? It makes no sense to me. Their popularity is getting into their heads! Just like the other thread where I read that Celine Jakarta requires customers to buy their RTW before they are ALLOWED to buy the luggages. Is there a store manager you can speak to?
I have been talking to the SA for awhile, and since they kept saying they'd ask the "office" I assume the higher authority is from the office instead of the store or the manager, so I asked to speak anyone in the office which I guess is the CS. I have left a message to the store manager as well, but she didn't call me back yet. :sad: My DH saw all of you lovely tpfers comments, he also agreed that maybe I should speak to store manager, the office would just be doing things along with the "policy"

dear emmaemmamamama, i am sorry that you are faced with such a frustrating situation. do you think it will be better if you raised the issue to the store manager or someone who has a bigger say in the dealings of the store? the SAs may have their hands tied or do not have the authority to release any luggage to you. that is what i would do. if the manager recognises your relationship with the shop, i'm sure the rules can be bent ever slightly.

no, you don't sound at all *****y or unreasonable. perhaps you need someone of greater authority there to empathise and hopefully have a remedy for the situation! do fill us in if you managed to get a store credit/exchange. rooting for you!
Thank you for your support cotonblanc!!:heart: I will try to get a store manager, I thought the office/CS will have bigger authority, the SA actually seek help from "the office" rather than the manager, so still figuring who has higher power. :thinking:

You're not unreasonable at all...I never buy unless from the large department stores...and would probably never buy from the boutique. Their policy doesn't make sense. It is your money and you should have the right to choose what you spend it on! Such a turn off if the boutique has all these "policies". Hope you get something you really want.
i know!! it's really a big turn off. I refuse to settle with bags that I somewhat like just cause I have no choice, I know it will remind me all the frustration with them and it's not good for me LOL!!

You may print this thread out and bring it to store manager to let them know what is being discuessed here. They may step back and give you a store credit, TPF is so popular that some desgin brands don't want members here leave negative feedbacks:smile:? Good luck friend!
WOW that's a very good suggestion! :heart: My DH told me to get advise and report to the consumer council here in HK or do a chargeback as they don't honour their terms, but I don't want to go this far, if I would do it, it means they really don't care about their customers!

I think u r totally reasonable, it's the store that's unreasonable. I never heard that u have to complete an exchange within 14 days, at least u should be able to get a store credit and be able to choose what u really want and when u want to spend ur. I dont have many good words to say when it comes to Celine's customer service. U should bring this issue to their management.
Thanks for your support! Ohhh.. I was debating myself whether I should insist and if I'm not reasonable. Now hearing all your thoughts, I feel much better now. They have my bag already and they have my money! They don't even have any loss... this whole thing is just so bizarre, I myself never heard of completing an exchange within 14 days too! They think customers should just know every of their hidden policy

i agree with everyone telling you to bring the issue up to a store manager. it's absurd that they can't give you store credit, and why should you have to choose from what they have in store at the moment if you don't like any of their stock?? that seems very unfair to me...hopefully they will recognize that as someone who wants to build a mini collection (lucky girl :biggrin:) that they're risking losing lots of future business. good luck, let us know what happens! :hugs:
Thank you!! :heart::heart: Yes, I told them it's also unfair to me to spend all the money but not a bag I want. And their mentality is that they think ALL their merchandise is so great that it's my problem that I can't get anything I want :hysteric:

I can't believe the treatment you're getting. Do you have a Fair Trading or an Ombudsman you can approach? I'm sure their return policy is infringing on your rights. I'm not sure if it's different in other countries. But technically it's illegal not to refund or at least give you store credit.

I remember reading elsewhere that clients can only buy one or two of the same style bag a year? Maybe this is why they're pushing for you to go for another style? But I don't understand why they won't just explain that to you if that's the case.

I hope you resolve this in your favour. This sounds really ridiculous to me.

Sorry to hear you're being treated so badly by this store! I don't think you're being unreasonable, they couldn't force you to exchange for something you don't want. You should insist on a store credit if not speak to a manager and if that doesn't work the next higher up person in charge.

You're in HK? The return policy is BS in Asia. It's more like you buy it, it's yours too bad. I think it's more than reasonable to get store credit. You should b able to return the box and buy a luggage. What they r doing is terrible, I hope it works out for u!

Wait, you purchased a bag for your darling mother, she doesn't like the style of the box and now you want to exchange the box (which is one, if not the most expensive Celine bag available) for another you prefer and they are giving you problems?

Okay, Celine, lets not let popularity get to our heads now. Even Chanel will let you return a bag and return your money promptly! My goodness, how irritating.

I'm sorry you are going through this, OP. It is your money. You can spend it as you please. Given that they neglected to inform you of their 14 day exchange policy (likely because you have shopped with them repeatedly without returning as I gather), they should honor your relationship with them by selling you exactly what you want. Please call a manager. If that doesn't work, send a letter to corporate - I bet someone on tPF will give you an email addy or number to call. In my humble opinion, no one should be treated like this.

Again, I am sorry that you are going through this. I hope Celine remembers that they are only as big as the girls and boys who choose to purchase their pieces and speak positively about them. They may also want to look into how many Bal girls turned away from the brand when it made its change from GGH to G12. I still have a problem buying Goyard after how the company treated a tPFer whose St. Louis began to fall apart within weeks/months of purchase.

Loyalty goes both ways and in this world of fickle attention spans and economic uncertainty, some may choose to put their pennies elsewhere.

Best of luck and keep us all informed if you can. You definitely have my support on this and I'm sure the support of many others.