Am I being scammed?

beauxgoris

O.G.
Mar 17, 2006
I purchased an item off ebay this past weekend (sunday). Today I received one of those automated alerts from PayPal that tells you your tracking number. Okay fine, right? So I go to the UPS site to track the number and it lists the destination as somewhere 1.5 hours from here. The next state over if you will. I paid by PayPal and have a confirmed account - so I don't know how she could have messed up my zip code?! I emailed her this afternoon, but so far no word. I sent another email tonight to find out what's going on.

Is this some sort of scam: where she mails the package to a friend so she can show PP a tracking number and that the item was received so she can receive her money - or just an honest mistake. Can I do anything to protect myself?

I'm freaking out a bit. Thoughts?

ummm, not sure that it sounds like a scam , i would say there would be a reasonable explanation once she gets back to you.
what sort of feedback does the seller have ? or when you said you purchased "off " ebay , did you mean not on ebay ?:biggrin:

^^No, I meant "on ebay" - or through ebay (sorry if that was confusing).

They only had 3 feedback which is why I'm nervous. It's not a HUGE sum on money - but enough that I wouldn't want to lose it or be scammed.

he he , thats what i thought, but had better check ! could she have tapped in the wrong tracking number or something ? i guess we'll just have to wait till she replies to your email !

^^Thank you. I'll update thread tomorrow with hopefully more info!!

I just wanted to check and make sure this wasn't some sort of typical scam: you know swapping of tracking numbers or something....

I have noticed when it's UPS ground, it shows destination as my local facility, when it's 2day, destination is at a different location about an hour away. It usually shows up at my door that same day. They may have a different delivery system for the faster services. It's been awhile, but I do remember being a bit confused when I first saw that odd destination.

Beauxgoris, please keep usposted. It's possible that UPS puts in the destination zip code of one of their nearest processing facilities, and maybe there is one 1 1/2 hours from you? Maybe you can call UPS and see if you can track it that way. Because if they do have a wrong zip code, at least you can give them the right one.

UPDATE: i heard from the seller. She sent my automated tracking number to someone else and mine to hers. Odd that it's so close - but either way she sent me a new tracking number which does show my city and state.

Thank goodness it seems like a natural error. Ebay is just so awful lately I'm freaked out about transactions. I try not stay away but every once and a while I indulge.

Thanks everyone for your answers and concern. :flowers:

UPDATE: i heard from the seller. She sent my automated tracking number to someone else and mine to hers. Odd that it's so close - but either way she sent me a new tracking number which does show my city and state.

Thank goodness it seems like a natural error. Ebay is just so awful lately I'm freaked out about transactions. I try not stay away but every once and a while I indulge.

Thanks everyone for your answers and concern. :flowers:
oh cool, i was thinking that was what had happened, let us know when it arrives !