Am I being paranoid, or could this be a Scam?

It seems to have gone okay, items have been received etc. Ironically, another sellers group I am part of (Australian online selling group) literally 12 hours, after I had my query, someone actually got scammed.

It was a 5.5k purchase for Lamborghini car parts, and the buyer is wanting to send back damaged items, clearly that they've damaged themselves.

It seems to have gone okay, items have been received etc. Ironically, another sellers group I am part of (Australian online selling group) literally 12 hours, after I had my query, someone actually got scammed.

It was a 5.5k purchase for Lamborghini car parts, and the buyer is wanting to send back damaged items, clearly that they've damaged themselves.

^Hopefully you can see that this story of fraud has nothing whatsoever to do with any other individual transaction. If you aren’t selling face to face, you take on a responsibility to assess buyers and communications as they actually are. If that’s inherently too stressful you can decide not to sell directly. You were ramped up against a normal buyer based on nothing.

Glad it worked out.

Reactions: finer_woman
^Hopefully you can see that this story of fraud has nothing whatsoever to do with any other individual transaction. If you aren’t selling face to face, you take on a responsibility to assess buyers and communications as they actually are. If that’s inherently too stressful you can decide not to sell directly. You were ramped up against a normal buyer based on nothing.

Glad it worked out.

Unfortunately it is suspected fraud here. This is an eBay seller who specializes in car parts. He sent these Lamborghini parts to a buyer in the UK from Australia. He now needs to pay $400 in freight to have the parts returned. The buyer opened an INAD case based on damage. The buyer is saying it could have occurred in the mail. However the seller is positive the images are not his parts and believes the damage is from an accident that the buyer had prior to purchasing. He is sure the buyer is sending back other parts.

I will try to explain myself clearer sorry!

Unfortunately it is suspected fraud here. This is an eBay seller who specializes in car parts...

Yes, we all know that fraud happens on eBay. My point is that you are seemingly connecting this fact and possibility to what "might have been," in your imagination, with your buyer--based on paranoia only (as your thread title proposes) and not your buyer's behavior. I'm suggesting that you see buyers for what they actually present to you, and shed the ghosts.

Yes, we all know that fraud happens on eBay. My point is that you are seemingly connecting this fact and possibility to what "might have been," in your imagination, with your buyer--based on paranoia only, not your buyer's behavior. You either learn to see a buyer for what they actually present to you or else you opt to waste time and energy expecting disaster.
Not the OP, but I think the OP is trying to explain that (although this is "the purse forum,") she wasn't selling handbags/accessories to her suspected fraudulent buyer. I think she was selling car parts.

Not the OP, but I think the OP is trying to explain that (although this is "the purse forum,") she wasn't selling handbags/accessories to her suspected fraudulent buyer. I think she was selling car parts.

OK, thanks. Point still stands: fraud that does exist is not the full context for selling anything on eBay or elsewhere. And in this case her buyer did nothing suspicious.

Reactions: chicinthecity777
It is my understanding that OP's transaction went fine, but another member of her selling group got scammed in selling auto parts.

Reactions: bliss_cathy
OP here, hello! Sorry, yes sorry for confusing everyone!!

I sold items ie handbags/accessories that match the Purse Forum, and was initially worried about a scam. However it seems to have gone fine!

I just mentioned another person was scammed online in another group I follow, shortly after my concern on some luxury car parts. Yes, it wasn't related to the original post, so I shouldn't have mentioned it to avoid confusion. It was simply as scams were on my mind at the time, that's why I bought it up. Sleep deprivation must be affecting my communication!

whateve did understand!

Sorry everyone!!!

Reactions: jellyv and whateve
Sigh.

Seems this was a scam after all. Looks like an angry Ex had access to the BoyFriends account and had a spending spree.

There were 3 of us (sellers) who were targetted, with a buyer with a very similar buying pattern. I talk a bit to one of them. Anyhow that seller just contacted me today and has a $5000 credit card charge back on their PayPal account. The charge is an unknown transaction. There's a very slim chance, maybe my purchases were genuine, but the PayPal account was the same, and the buying patterns very similar. So I'm just going to wait over the next few days, but be prepared to see something.

If the chargeback is for unauthorized use, was it shown as eligible for seller protection on Paypal? If so, you should be protected, I believe. Others are more knowledgeable that I am, though. I hope you are covered.

PayPal said it was just an unauthorised charge.

I was really careful as I was already feeling funny about the buyer. The PayPal address was confirmed, it said in the explanation that this meant it had been cross referenced with the credit card address. I got a copy of the signature on delivery, and the person who was at the address who signed for it, was the same as the addressee on PayPal. Someone has checked the electoral roll and the person is from that suburb. Also there was a land line phone number on my PayPal receipt. All was done via tracking.

PayPal released the funds as soon as I called but it's still pending investigation for 75 days and can be removed again.

PayPal said it was just an unauthorised charge.

I was really careful as I was already feeling funny about the buyer. The PayPal address was confirmed, it said in the explanation that this meant it had been cross referenced with the credit card address. I got a copy of the signature on delivery, and the person who was at the address who signed for it, was the same as the addressee on PayPal. Someone has checked the electoral roll and the person is from that suburb. Also there was a land line phone number on my PayPal receipt. All was done via tracking.

PayPal released the funds as soon as I called but it's still pending investigation for 75 days and can be removed again.
You'll have to keep watching your account because they will keep trying to sneak the hold back in.

If you go to the PP transaction details page, you can see what it shows for seller protection. If it says "eligible," you are protected.

Reactions: carlpsmom