Am I being fair with this buyer ?

dnvhle

Jun 12, 2009
Listed bag at $169.99 with $199.99 BIN with free insured ship. I'm top rated seller with 646 100% feedback. Mentioned the Ebay/Microsoft Bing cashback program in listing (currently @ 10%). Buyer bought bag @ BIN price. Paid for the bag this morning. Few minutes ago, buyer emailed and said she found same bag cheaper with another seller ($164.99) and asked me for a partial refund. I gave her a little speech on sellers set their own prices on their items, that most will not let buyers back out because they found a better deal after they bid/paid for the item. That most sellers do their research on prices before you buy. I told her I can do a one-time courtesy partial refund as she is a new buyer - she would get difference of the other's seller price and what she is getting bag from me w/ the cashback promo ($15.01 partial refund). I also gave her the option to back out of transaction as I don't want to force someone to buy from me if they are not happy with their purchase. This buyer is not new. Been on Ebay since 2004 with 350 feedbacks. What you ladies think ? Am I offering buyer a fair deal ?

You are not only being fair, you are bending over backward. She bid on your bag, got cashback, she needs to pay for what she won. Period. It's not your fault she found a deal AFTER she bought your item. You can file a NPB if she doesn't pay in 4 days and give her a strike, get your fees back, and relist.

Just got a reply from buyer "I appreciate the 15.01. Thank you very much for your fairness. I will leave positive feedback! " Oh well, I hope she appreciate my fairness. Of the 7 years I been selling on Ebay - never such a request.

Just got a reply from buyer "I appreciate the 15.01. Thank you very much for your fairness. I will leave positive feedback! " Oh well, I hope she appreciate my fairness. Of the 7 years I been selling on Ebay - never such a request.
Hope springs eternal. ;)That sounds good. Let's hope she does give you a positive.

I think there could be problems mentioning the bing cashback in your listings. just not a good idea.

But I am glad you got a sale. I am selling alot of smaller items this year - wallets, key fobs, and the like.

You´ve been fair. What I cannot understand is why someone would care about $15??? She has been on evilbay long enough to know the rules, and to ask for a $15 partial refund sounds extremely petty IMO!

Btw. there is NO such thing as free insurance. You as a seller must purchase that regardless of the buyers willingness to pay for it. If you don´t, you´re pretty much screwed should the package not arrive! You will be out the money and the item. Just an FYI.

I've been doing insured shipping on all my listings for some time - I never did charge buyer for insurance cause like you said insurance is really for the seller not the buyer. Anyway, thanks for the comments.

You are a peach of a seller! Yes, you did bend over backwards for this buyer but at least you clinched the sale. Frankly, I think she has a lot of nerve asking for a price reduction after doing a BIN. It's not as though you stated in your auction that you would match the lowest price for a similar item. She got lucky this time but the next seller she tries to pull that off on will probably have a justified fit.

Thanks for all the supportive comments. I was annoyed when I first saw the message as it is the first one I've got for such a request. I could use her sale but I wasn't going to beg her to keep the transaction. I guess in the in spirit of the holiday and as a courtesy for a new customer, I decided to offer the $15 refund. I know I didn't have to give her the choice to back out of transaction but I did it to show her that I would be ok if she back out. Maybe, that's why she decided to continue the transaction w/ me and just accepted the $15 refund offer. I feel I been fair to her and have issued her the $15.01 refund earlier today and plan to get the bag mail out tomorrow. It would be a bummer for her to lose out the cashback because of her request for the partial refund.