Am I an unreasonable new buyer?

candylake

Oct 2, 2008
I purchased a marc jacobs faridah bag from ebay from a powerseller, who has almost perfect rating, and had 6 years on ebay. Description says everything is perfect, and I received it last night. There is obvious scratches on them, and when I compare the picture on ebay, there is no close up on the scratches, it's perfectly "blured" at the right angle.
So I wrote seller, seller thinks I am an unreasonable customer, says this is natural coloration of the leather. But he said he can refund me, but I really don't want refund or exchange or anything, I just want him to admit it, am I being unreasonable?
Here are the pictures:
http://s439.photobucket.com/albums/qq115/skypatcher/
Here is the item on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=280272301242

Just want to make him think twice about posting perfect condition, coloration of leather stuff.

Did you email these photos to your seller?

This happened to me once. I must have scratched the leather w/ my nails while packaging.

Is this a possibility?

This happened to me once. I must have scratched the leather w/ my nails while packaging.

Is this a possibility?

I just sent the pictures, I was merely asking for an apology, not an argument, and he kept insisting it's natural leather coloration.
I do not have long nails, and it's impossible that I scratched them when I was unpacking.
Plus, if you see the ebay pictures, you can actually see the front left pocket, some light coloration, and the bottom far end a long scratch. I really think they knew about it, and purposely took the pictures just to avoid the close up photos on scratches, especially the bottom, what a convenience that the scratch is on the far end!

He said he can refund me, but not exchange because all his bags are the same! and if i am unhappy with this one, i won't be happy with the other ones.

His words just annoy the hell out of me!

I don't understand why you're bugging this seller just for an apology? I could understand if you were upset about the condition and wanted maybe partial refund, or a return, but to just want an apology? I think it's silly and a waste of time.

If his attitude bothers you that much, then leave a neutral FB stating this. Otherwise, I would let it go and enjoy your new beautiful bag!

maybe you are right, but i am just not happy with how he says it, he's making me sound unreasonable, i just want to point it out to him that he did not disclose the condition fully, especially with those pictures purposely taken from the perfect angle.
I'll just forget about it and let it go.

Is this a possibility?
Hi, off topic, i love how your answers are also so sensible:yes:, every time you post, you always put a different slant on things. I think if have a problem i will pm you:nuts: no only joking:P, cos you always make so much sense, and dont rush in, with trite comments, and become antagonistic. Just had to share that you. alfie x:P

I think if he has offfered a refund its just a case of deciding if thats what you want. I wouldnt worry about what he says about you, you will never have to contact him again.

I have to agree that it seems silly to pester him about an apology! What exactly will that do for you?

I can actually see some of the scratches/marks in the *bay pics, so in all fairness, you should have either asked directly about marks/scuffs/scratches (it's a used bag) or noticed them with careful examination of the pictures.

It's a gorgeous bag btw!

Jen

I have to agree that it seems silly to pester him about an apology! What exactly will that do for you?

I can actually see some of the scratches/marks in the *bay pics, so in all fairness, you should have either asked directly about marks/scuffs/scratches (it's a used bag) or noticed them with careful examination of the pictures.

It's a gorgeous bag btw!

Jen

It's not a used bag, it states "brand new with tags". I really didn't see those scratches in those pictures, they were not big enough, and I wasn't very detail-oriented, i guess. I will be more careful from now on whenever I purchase anything.

thanks everyone, i'll just leave this issue alone.

If you are upset, please leave appropriate feedback. This helps warn other potential buyers in the future to look carefully at pictures!!

First of all, that's a gorgeous bag!! Congrats!!

I'm familiar with this line and do know that it's susceptible to scratches and color variations to some extent, and some leather types are worse than others about this. Almost all leather products do have scratches just from handling or sitting on the store shelves, but I agree with the other poster, that the seller may have accidentally scratched this bag when shipping or otherwise. Or the seller has more than one bag and sent one from the lot that is not the actual bag photographed in the listing. It does bug me when sellers do not show photos of the actual item, but there's no way to tell for sure here, at least on my end. If he hasn't used the actual photos for the bag he sent you, then yes, he should apologize. The buyer should definitely be able to see what he/she is buying (within reason...realizing that there are certain characteristics that are inherent of natural leather). Also remember that seeing a photo is not the same as in person, and everyone's picture taking ability, perspective, and/or cameras differ greatly. That's where text becomes important as well.

My personal opinion is many times buyers expect the seller to detail every little scratch and mark, and I do believe that can be unreasonable. I say upfront in my listing that I cannot detail every little scratch, etc. However, I do make an attempt to explain the scratches if I see the bag is really scratched up, either on the leather or the hardware. I do the best I can, but I'm also not perfect, and what I see may not be what you see (i.e. "condition" is somewhat subjective). I also encourage really picky buyers to make their purchases in person at a boutique somewhere rather than online because I want them to be happy... and I have no desire for a complicated transaction.

That said, I don't really have your bag here in person to view, but TBH what I'm seeing on my computer screen doesn't look that bad to me. I may not be fully seeing what you are, though, so I would advise you to think about whether you want to keep a bag of this nature or just return it. He's at least being reasonable about the return aspect, which you probably would not get from many sellers, so you should have no problems getting your money back. I'm sure he will have learned from this experience, especially if he's just using stock photos.

Another possibility.. Can you rub the scratches out with the oil in your fingers? I personally find this leather too porous to feel comfortable moisturizing, but you can usually rub out most of the light scratches. At least that's my experience.

If you are upset, please leave appropriate feedback. This helps warn other potential buyers in the future to look carefully at pictures!!

If the seller offered you a refund and YOU chose not to accept it - I don't know what else the seller could possibly DO.

I sold on ebay for 10 years but quit when ebay gave the buyers ALL the power.

Leaving a neutral or negative for THIS transaction is just not right! That kind of feedback can RUIN a seller's ability to SELL on ebay.

:sad: